Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slartysmith

Raid On Nail Bars

21 posts in this topic

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/mar/19/arrest-raid-human-trafficking-police-nail-bar

17 premises were raided and 6 victims of trafficking were found in police raids on nail bars.

"Seemingly legitimate nail bars ... are in reality being used as fronts for brothels.”

I'd never really thought of getting a manicure and asking for 'extras', particularly as I thought nail bars were just for women.  What other businesses are also just fronts for brothels?  Is it worth going into tattoo parlours, for example, just on the off chance of leaving happy?

Where did you get your quote from? I couldn't see any reference to nail-bars being used as a front for brothels.

We should now expect calls for the outlawing of manicures, and for a new criminal offence of paying for a manicure, as only by tackling the demand can we expect to reduce the resulting human trafficking that results from this vile trade etc. etc.

1 person likes this

Where did you get your quote from? I couldn't see any reference to nail-bars being used as a front for brothels.

I think the OP is making the mistake of conflating human trafficking with prostitution, whereas there are many other areas where such victims end up, the Morecambe cockle packers being another famous example.

I think the OP is making the mistake of conflating human trafficking with prostitution, whereas there are many other areas where such victims end up, the Morecambe cockle packers being another famous example.

The quote can be found part-way down the article. Bear in mind there is no mention elsewhere in the article about the workers being involved in prostitution, then suddenly the journalist chucks this in;

"On its website, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology says: “Human trafficking is a problem in the beauty industry, especially in seemingly legitimate nail bars and other businesses that are in reality being used as fronts for brothels.”"

I know of a couple of nail bars run and staffed by vietnamese immigrants, both are in town centres and 99% of the people entering the shop as customers are female. Sometimes their male friends, boyfriends, whomever go in to wait, they sit in the window. A stream of male customers to a nail bar would look a bit odd!

That isn't to say some may be fronts, but without proof the quote is mere speculation.

Edited by Strawberry
2 people like this

In the press and media speculation gets tuned into "fact" very often.

1 person likes this

It's the news reporter that may be making that error.  I agree with Vin that trafficking is a much bigger problem overall.  Indeed I probably wouldn't have started this thread if I felt the story was 100% accurate.

1 person likes this

The quote can be found part-way down the article. Bear in mind there is no mention elsewhere in the article about the workers being involved in prostitution, then suddenly the journalist chucks this in;

"On its website, the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology says: “Human trafficking is a problem in the beauty industry, especially in seemingly legitimate nail bars and other businesses that are in reality being used as fronts for brothels.”"

Thank you for that Strawberry. I read it twice but didn't spot it!

1 person likes this

Thank you for that Strawberry. I read it twice but didn't spot it!

I did a control 'f' search. <_<

sounds like they are paving the way for a load of raids and oppression... I bet one of the corporations has realised nail bars are a fucking gold mine and has pulled the right political strings to get all the independents done away with... once the police and the councils have bullied and harassed all the immigrants and (genuine) entrepreneurs out of business, some shady tax avoiding international chain will just happen to come along and put one on every fucking street corner, in every fucking town in the country... with inflated prices and reduced quality, serviced of course by immigrants.

The older I get the more bored I get with trafficking. The blatant examples go unpunished and the authorities waste time on politically correct wild goose chases. Wanna get thousands of trafficked victind? Raid Lincolnshire farm fields in harvest time. The

Indeed, I have not noticed this in central London.  Strangely, I go to the same place for a long time and last Monday I noticed most of the usual staff was missing (despite them working there for many years).  I know some live in council estates, get some benefits for their families, so all is a bit strange.

Pity their attitude does not seem to improve after living here so long, but where else do you go?  You have to put up with their attitude. 

The older I get the more bored I get with trafficking. The blatant examples go unpunished and the authorities waste time on politically correct wild goose chases. Wanna get thousands of trafficked victind? Raid Lincolnshire farm fields in harvest time. The

Lightning strike by immigration there! But surely they could have let him finish his post before hauling him off?

The bastards.

1 person likes this

Alas nothing so dramatic. I hit the send button by mistake.

I only know of one place in S E London that does nails  plus extras  .  I don't think it's that common . 

I only know of one place in S E London that does nails  plus extras  .  I don't think it's that common . 

Wow, really nails plus extra?  Pretty audacious of them to do it here.  If caught with her toes in his mouth the client can always say: 'I was repaying the favour'.   :D

1 person likes this

but men dont get their nails done do they? women do... it doesnt make sense to me.

Now... a barbers... that would be good... i find it quite sensual sometimes when i get a hair cut from some tasty girl or woman... the perfume, a hand on your shoulder fingers on the back of the neck... if you are very lucky a breast might brush against your arm or shoulder...

Get a hair cut, "something for the weekend sir?" and out the back or up the stairs to a little room somewhere with a bed like a parlour.

I might do it...

We should now expect calls for the outlawing of manicures, and for a new criminal offence of paying for a manicure, as only by tackling the demand can we expect to reduce the resulting human trafficking that results from this vile trade etc. etc.

sounds like they are paving the way for a load of raids and oppression... I bet one of the corporations has realised nail bars are a fucking gold mine and has pulled the right political strings to get all the independents done away with... once the police and the councils have bullied and harassed all the immigrants and (genuine) entrepreneurs out of business, some shady tax avoiding international chain will just happen to come along and put one on every fucking street corner, in every fucking town in the country... with inflated prices and reduced quality, serviced of course by immigrants.

Well if anyone has ever driven through TOWIE Town (Brentwood in Essex), as I sometimes have cause to do, this could shut down half their bloomin' High Street. Hopefully they might arrest some of the Oxygen Thieves from TOWIE for being offensively vacuous!!!  <_<

but men dont get their nails done do they? women do... it doesnt make sense to me.

Now... a barbers... that would be good... i find it quite sensual sometimes when i get a hair cut from some tasty girl or woman... the perfume, a hand on your shoulder fingers on the back of the neck... if you are very lucky a breast might brush against your arm or shoulder...

Get a hair cut, "something for the weekend sir?" and out the back or up the stairs to a little room somewhere with a bed like a parlour.

I might do it...

I got my finger nails done just once in my life - the morning of my wedding. The reception was held at Lady Bonkers' parents' place and I'd been spending much of the previous two weeks sanding and repainting all the railings. Never seen my hands reduced to the state they were in then. A girl did my nails as I was having my hair cut on the morning - she worked a miracle.

I had my first pedicure this year and I feel a born-again missionary zeal for these treatments. I'm happy to say the place I went to seemed to be run and staffed almost entirely by English gays (with the exception of the nice Portugese lad who attended to me), so no trafficking issues there.

The staff at the place I am doing my nails work there for many, many years....... although I always wondered how they reached the UK?  They never seem to have but Vietnamese staff.  Sometimes gay guys, estate agents or good looking guys come in for mani and pedi.  Interesting.

Passed my local nail bar today. Two Asian girls looking out, bored out of their gourds. Maybe they offer "extras" out of sheer bordom