Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Unperson

Small punting anniversary

13 posts in this topic

This may not start much of a thread but it seems to be something to deserve a mention somewhere like here.

Today is my 50th anniversary of European punting. Best continent for punting too. Just ahead of South America.

Have a drink on me for it tonight if you can work out a way of sending me the receipt.

I've already had one on the house in a House I visit whenever I'm in the city where it is. Drink, not punt. One of each, just after lunch. Full price paid very willingly for the punt. It's that sort of place.

I mentioned the anniversary to the woman in charge, at the bar. She must have passed the news on when I wasn't listening, because a WG who had been upstairs before that stopped at the bar and congratulated me on it. ("How have you managed to keep it up so long, Dad?" Perhaps that isn't a congratulation?) She also said I ought to celebrate it with her. For a price, naturally. I'm already in the official appointment book in her column for her last space there tonight. As I said before, it's that sort of place.

Going there as soon as I send this, or I'll be late. Hope the anniversary ends as well as it began.

Respect, Unperson & Long may you continue to step up to the crease !

50th year I take it, not 50th place or girl. Congrats.

If I can still enjoy it after 50 years, I'll be a very happy man indeed.

I'm 53 (today), I've been punting in earnest for 3 years and unless I can still produce a boner at 103 I am never going to beat that magnificent record.

<salutes, unp>

My first punt cost me £2-2-0 up the Edgeware Road in a block called Evelyn Court, while Churchill was lieing in state. She wore (initially) a leopard skin print dress. If your history is better than mine, you can fix the date. I'm still at it.

My first punt cost me £2-2-0 up the Edgeware Road in a block called Evelyn Court, while Churchill was lieing in state. She wore (initially) a leopard skin print dress. If your history is better than mine, you can fix the date. I'm still at it.

Winnie died 24 January 1965.

This may not start much of a thread but it seems to be something to deserve a mention somewhere like here.

Today is my 50th anniversary of European punting. Best continent for punting too. Just ahead of South America.

Have a drink on me for it tonight if you can work out a way of sending me the receipt.

I've already had one on the house in a House I visit whenever I'm in the city where it is. Drink, not punt. One of each, just after lunch. Full price paid very willingly for the punt. It's that sort of place.

I mentioned the anniversary to the woman in charge, at the bar. She must have passed the news on when I wasn't listening, because a WG who had been upstairs before that stopped at the bar and congratulated me on it. ("How have you managed to keep it up so long, Dad?" Perhaps that isn't a congratulation?) She also said I ought to celebrate it with her. For a price, naturally. I'm already in the official appointment book in her column for her last space there tonight. As I said before, it's that sort of place.

Going there as soon as I send this, or I'll be late. Hope the anniversary ends as well as it began.

Congratulations, Ive got a hell of a lot of catching up to do, I celebrated my first anniversary on Dec 12th.

Congratulations, Ive got a hell of a lot of catching up to do, I celebrated my first anniversary on Dec 12th.

I've just realised my first anniversary was yesterday :D. I should have arranged something special !

For a double "eek" moment, I'll be 97 by the time I hit the OPs milestone. Well done that man !

Unperson u r a LEGEND :-)

I will PM you as I want to buy you a v strong drink & pick up some tips for being out & about in Town lol!!!

Fellow punters, thanks for all those kind words. I'll go on trying to deserve them.

A happy new punting decade to you also.

The anniversary was best at the end. Grade A for most of the day, A+ for the last part. The WG in it obviously meant what she said when she spoke to me at the bar earlier.

One of the good things about punting is that you get to meet some very nice people.

You meet a few at the other end of the scale too, but each one of the first sort makes up for much more than one of the second.

I will PM you as I want to buy you a v strong drink & pick up some tips for being out & about in Town lol!!!

Always glad to help when I can. That's not here though. I may have become a European general expert during 50 years of practice but I still can't work out how to find good results in the UK. Perhaps you can tell me?

My first punt cost me £2-2-0 up the Edgeware Road in a block called Evelyn Court, while Churchill was lieing in state.

That would be January 1965, as Mr. SaSfan has said.

I raise my hat to my senior, Sir. I didn't start UK punting until late February in 1965.

That was in a basement or slightly below ground flat in Notting Hill Gate in a street with Pembridge in the name. Possibly at number 17. I can't remember.

Now, Evelyn Court? That rings a bell. Is it the building on the corner of Edgware Road and Stourcliffe Street? Can anyone who lives around there answer?

I ask because of a possible nice coincidence. My best ever English punt (not star quality by international standards, but quite good and with no bad bits) was in July 1966, right there. It was in a first floor flat at the end of the short corridor, in the northwest corner of the building. I think one room of the flat had windows facing directly onto Edgware Road. Could that have been where you punted in January 1965?

The flat may have been a punting base for different WGs at different times. Not so likely for one WG to last 18 months, but who knows? The one I saw used the name Joan and said she was 26.

My first punt cost me £2-2-0 up the Edgeware Road ..........

Obviously a very upmarket lady since she charged in guineas!