Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calynx

Australian Sex Workers Lead The Way - #facesofprostitution

7 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-32165949

The stereotypical view of prostitution that young women are lured into it and subjected to a life of abuse and trauma is pretty universal, but in Australia there has been an interesting response on social media.

1 person likes this

Just seen this article myself. Good on Tilly Lawless and all the women and men doing this; It would be good to think that it could be taken up here and everywhere else that has regressive laws relating to sex work but clearly it has to be something that the individual is comfortable with.

Haven't seen the article that sparked it and, at the risk of having a closed mind, I don't think I need to when you see that it springs from an American Christian group (Exodus Cry - 'nuff said really!). My view is only reinforced when you see the wholly patronising and self-justifying tripe that the writer responds to the selfie trend with. As is often the way, simply because she has a belief in an unproven spiritual being, she assumes the right to make grossly over-simplified generalisations about a very diverse group of people and their work/lives.

Step forward (and hold your phone at arms length) those brave few...?

Cheers - DD (Feeling slightly upbeat)

One thing I notice about any British media report about prostitution is that there is always some sort of reference to the legal status which implies it is illegal here.

In this one the term "in Sydney, where prostitution is legal" does it.

They know what they're doing so it must be a deliberate attempt at misinformation without risking being called to account.

One thing I notice about any British media report about prostitution is that there is always some sort of reference to the legal status which implies it is illegal here.

In this one the term "in Sydney, where prostitution is legal" does it.

They know what they're doing so it must be a deliberate attempt at misinformation without risking being called to account.

No, just some lazy, half-pissed hack filling out his copy.

Last week I somehow came across the fact that Sydney has 121 brothels.

I didn't read this as implying anything about the legality of prostitution in the UK. These articles can be read around the world - with some exceptions - including plenty of countries where it is illegal. I thought it was very good that these women were prepared to identify themselves and challenge the ignorant or wilfully misleading stereotype.

If the situation was reversed, would you be prepared to "out" yourself as a punter?