JKay

Goodbye Orange.....

30 posts in this topic

Have been with Orange since time began with my contract phone and Tmobile pay as you go punting phone, it gave me everything l needed, now both my phones are running on that piece of shitte called EE.

back in the day the phone could hunt between orange and Tmobile to give the best signal, but now as confirmed at the shitte shop they are removing transmitters that overlap the two former providers, most areas it make no difference unless l'm in my home, my Galaxy just sits there with only emergency calls only and because its constantly searching for a better transmitter it can eat a whole charge in an evening, my punting phone an old Samsung tocco ultra s8300 (with is still a bloody good phone, the girls in the EE shop were purring over it, old skool lyke) is the same, no signal, but I put the sim in a £9 Samsung disposable, no one would steal special,, I get half the bars up and can use it no problem, YTF ?

I have now given up, have now unlock one of the phones and are searching for best sim deal.. it looks like vodafon is the strongest signal in my home followed by 3.

So far I think my best option is to go to Sainsbuys mobile, their network piggybacks Vodafone

Have been with Orange since time began with my contract phone and Tmobile pay as you go punting phone, it gave me everything l needed, now both my phones are running on that piece of shitte called EE.

back in the day the phone could hunt between orange and Tmobile to give the best signal, but now as confirmed at the shitte shop they are removing transmitters that overlap the two former providers, most areas it make no difference unless l'm in my home, my Galaxy just sits there with only emergency calls only and because its constantly searching for a better transmitter it can eat a whole charge in an evening, my punting phone an old Samsung tocco ultra s8300 (with is still a bloody good phone, the girls in the EE shop were purring over it, old skool lyke) is the same, no signal, but I put the sim in a £9 Samsung disposable, no one would steal special,, I get half the bars up and can use it no problem, YTF ?

I have now given up, have now unlock one of the phones and are searching for best sim deal.. it looks like vodafon is the strongest signal in my home followed by 3.

So far I think my best option is to go to Sainsbuys mobile, their network piggybacks Vodafone

in the beginning there was the word and it was orange.

and god saw it was good.

but then they started giff gaff.

goodybags start at a fiver  a month and they will sell you an unlocked smartphone for £39 inc vat if you need one.

Do you know what?

The sales people told me Androids are so much better than the other phone I had, yes, and I'd probably see an improvement in signal in what is a poor signal area. Nope, my very old, tatty Blackberry is more reliable than the Samsung.

Why this country can't bring itself into 2015 by investing in a network that reaches all I do not know. 8 miles out of the town centre, 1 mile from the M6 there is zero mobile signal and wind-up broadband speeds.

Ramble over, probably of little use but made me feel a bit better.

I've been using mobiles since the late 80's and have seen coverage and signal strength go from very poor to very good and now it's getting worse again. I think it's the same on all networks.

It's probably the sheer volume of traffic. I wish they would invest in getting the basics sorted out instead of stuff like 4G.

Edited by robert49

in the beginning there was the word and it was orange.

and god saw it was good.

but then they started giff gaff.

goodybags start at a fiver  a month and they will sell you an unlocked smartphone for £39 inc vat if you need one.

but can l get a giff gaff without having to provide id ? and what network does it piggyback ?

I think giff gaff is tmobile or 02

Do you know what?

The sales people told me Androids are so much better than the other phone I had, yes, and I'd probably see an improvement in signal in what is a poor signal area. Nope, my very old, tatty Blackberry is more reliable than the Samsung.

Why this country can't bring itself into 2015 by investing in a network that reaches all I do not know. 8 miles out of the town centre, 1 mile from the M6 there is zero mobile signal and wind-up broadband speeds.

Ramble over, probably of little use but made me feel a bit better.

its not just a cumbrian thing. big lump pf country in the triange between worcester, redditch and evesham -nothing.

and a lump of the M40 near =high wycombe. - nothing.

but can l get a giff gaff without having to provide id ? and what network does it piggyback ?

ah true.  dont know shat ID they require or whether a fake address will be OK

its on O2

I've been using mobiles since the late 80's and have seen coverage and signal strength go from very poor to very good and now it's getting worse again. I think it's the same on all networks.

It's probably the sheer volume of traffic. I wish they would invest in getting the basics sorted out instead of stuff like 4G.

the networks were designed for calls and texts.  with all the internet stuff they are prob overloaded.

its not just a cumbrian thing. big lump pf country in the triange between worcester, redditch and evesham -nothing.

I know this, I do travel.

I am very annoyed by 4G.

oh. and beaconsfield services....

When my mobile provider phone offering me an upgrade, I have told them I am not interested in upgrading there is no point until the signal is improved. They can't do anything about that so they tend to go away and I cling to my very old blackberry and use the moderate end Android mainly away from home. Anyone trying to sell me broadband TV or whatever gets told to sort the broadband service out which is fast but from 2 months after the fibre to cabinet upgrade drops out several times a day, has done for 3 years now and I've been down every avenue possible, investigated every possible cause, 3 engineer visits and after 2 years of following it up, I gave up trying(there's a point where you have spent enough of your life on the problem) - there is nothing left bar rip the line out and replace it from scratch. Simple. Service now, frills later.

Edited by Strawberry

Talkmobile is good for a 2nd phone -  8p a minute /  4p a txt  (half price if recipient on same network)  no contract or 30 day expiry runs on Vodafone network.  25p a day for data as and when you use it.

Funnily enough, I upgraded my phone last week. I've been with Orange since 1998, went to an EE store, and now my contract is with them - as the salesman said, they should all be BT soon anyway. I haven't noticed a drop in signal availability yet, but then haven't travelled much with it so far.

What DID annoy me was that my new contract covers shared data for my phone and my iPad, so the salesman said I'd need to phone Orange to cancel my old iPad SIM contract. I did, and effectively got told off by the Orange call centre operator for upgrading in a store and not directly with them. Sorry, but Orange shops don't exist any more near me, and BTW - aren't you the same bloody company?!  :angry:

I hate the EE branding, the shops look dull and uninteresting as do the new EE home page, its just wrong.

Over in Orpington on the trading estate next to Maplins you have Carphonewarehouse and EE next door to each other, it looks grey and uninviting, look next door its bright and more important it looks busy!

I used to have Orange home broadband, got on well with it, had some early problems for five weeks when I switched from AOL and some muppet forgot to flick a switch at the local exchange and Orange saying it was a fault with my PC.....any how a little while a go I get a letter saying that unless I changed my home phone line to Orange I would have to start paying a fiver a month, I refused, my phone contract gave me FREE home broadband, I tried but in the end I moved with days to go to BT BB, good move as I now no longer talk to a Bombay help line......

I now pay more for home BB but that's me when some one winds me up.

Back on to Giff Gaff as it runs on Vodafone, the website says that my location is ok on 3g, but I have a Vodafone dongle and tried it in my laptop and it just flashes, if I use a 5 metre usb extension and hang in out the bedroom window on the end of a curtain pole I can log in but its so slow its pointless exercise.  A Vodafone old skool 2g handset get a phone signal but now we are back to square one again and I have two smart phones sitting here and unable to use them unless I want to call the emergency services.

Now my 3 mobile Dongles work at home fine, I get excellent speed for surfing so at a guess that 3g phones will work as well but not as cheap as Giff Gaff or even the EE pay as you go deals......

My Galaxy S3 does not do 2G only 2.5G what ever that is.

I hate the EE branding, the shops look dull and uninteresting as do the new EE home page, its just wrong.

Over in Orpington on the trading estate next to Maplins you have Carphonewarehouse and EE next door to each other, it looks grey and uninviting, look next door its bright and more important it looks busy!

I used to have Orange home broadband, got on well with it, had some early problems for five weeks when I switched from AOL and some muppet forgot to flick a switch at the local exchange and Orange saying it was a fault with my PC.....any how a little while a go I get a letter saying that unless I changed my home phone line to Orange I would have to start paying a fiver a month, I refused, my phone contract gave me FREE home broadband, I tried but in the end I moved with days to go to BT BB, good move as I now no longer talk to a Bombay help line......

I now pay more for home BB but that's me when some one winds me up.

Back on to Giff Gaff as it runs on Vodafone, the website says that my location is ok on 3g, but I have a Vodafone dongle and tried it in my laptop and it just flashes, if I use a 5 metre usb extension and hang in out the bedroom window on the end of a curtain pole I can log in but its so slow its pointless exercise.  A Vodafone old skool 2g handset get a phone signal but now we are back to square one again and I have two smart phones sitting here and unable to use them unless I want to call the emergency services.

Now my 3 mobile Dongles work at home fine, I get excellent speed for surfing so at a guess that 3g phones will work as well but not as cheap as Giff Gaff or even the EE pay as you go deals......

giff gaff is deffo on O2, not vodaphone

where did you see it was on vodaphone?

giff gaff is deffo on O2, not vodaphone

where did you see it was on vodaphone?

sorry, typo, Sainsbuys mobile

Its all getting bizarre in the mobile world because BT as stated is taking over EE. However 3 are taking over o2 which BT floated many years ago.

I'm currently on 3 for my mobile broadband for the pc and at the start it was hopeless only getting poor signal and no bars. One day I was fortunate enough to download a youtube video on which a guy suggested am extension lead. I bought a 5M USB cable with a booster to ensure no signal loss and now I get two bars with downloads speeds of 3meg sometimes.

Borrowed a Vodafone sim today, put it in a smart phone and it goes straight to emergency calls only, put it into the cheap throw away phone and l get four bars up.

Borrowed a Vodafone sim today, put it in a smart phone and it goes straight to emergency calls only, put it into the cheap throw away phone and l get four bars up.

As per my above post, that does not surprise me one bit.

I have been in touch with my provider today because despite me using a signal booster I've started having calls drop out again. They gave me the usual spiel of signal in my area being good.

It isn't and I give up. If I wasn't possibly moving to an area where there is good provision on that network I'd try switching.

As per my above post, that does not surprise me one bit.

I have been in touch with my provider today because despite me using a signal booster I've started having calls drop out again. They gave me the usual spiel of signal in my area being good.

It isn't and I give up. If I wasn't possibly moving to an area where there is good provision on that network I'd try switching.

dont be scared of switching.  Last time I did it i was without service for 2-3 hours max.

they give you a day but not a time which can be a bit of a pain.

dont be scared of switching.  Last time I did it i was without service for 2-3 hours max.

they give you a day but not a time which can be a bit of a pain.

The main fear is that I switch then when I move I don't get good signal at the new place on the new network - at the moment I know there is good signal on my phones with current provider there.

Jkays post about different handsets is interesting. I have found older handsets are more versatile in the bands you can set them to. You can toggle between 2G, 3G&2G, and 3G to find the best reception. Androids tend not to have this option (or the option is either internet or not). It is a hassle roaming around between the bands several times a day, but it's something I do on a regular basis. Sometimes the 3G is the strongest, other times 3+2 or 2 on it's own.

Orange good, EE was a branding disaster, the shops look awful, the CS is dire, the signal about the same.  I'm sure I read recently

that BT were buying EE?   Not sure if I am allowed to post links so best not but the BT/OrangeEE deal is out there, just like the future

which would then no longer be Orange.