JKay

Laptop Chargers......

16 posts in this topic

going to be spending some leisure time away from any power sockets but l could use the ciggie lighter in the car so does any one use an adapter that matches the output of the laptop charger, in this case one from Dell.

I have a small 12v - 230v inverter that will run a laptop via it's normal mains lead or any other small wattage 230v stuff.   See ebay :  £15 to £20 or so.

Ask in maplins. The guys in there know this stuff.

You can get an inverter that converts 12v dc to 240v ac. Then u plug in your normal charger. But you will need the engine running or you will flatten your battery very fast.

Why do you need a step up voltage dc-ac invertor - this will suck your car battery dry. Once in DC stay in DC else a waste of power/wattage.

Try googling dell car charger and you should see results for your specific model.

I found this. hope that helps > http://www.laptopchargerfactory.co.uk/dell-inspiron-laptop-charger-car/inspiron-11z-c

dont some laptops need more than 12v.  How do you turn 12v into 19v when its DC?  My adaptor says 20v

OK putting 12v  in may put a bit of charge in but not a proper charge.

my lappy will charge itself from USB.  Not good if you plug phone in while lappy not on a mains charger.

Why do you need a step up voltage dc-ac invertor - this will suck your car battery dry. Once in DC stay in DC else a waste of power/wattage.

Try googling dell car charger and you should see results for your specific model.

I found this. hope that helps > http://www.laptopchargerfactory.co.uk/dell-inspiron-laptop-charger-car/inspiron-11z-c

that looks good, mine is inspiron n5030 but the above outputs are same.

dont some laptops need more than 12v.  How do you turn 12v into 19v when its DC?  My adaptor says 20v

OK putting 12v  in may put a bit of charge in but not a proper charge.

my lappy will charge itself from USB.  Not good if you plug phone in while lappy not on a mains charger.

Well the appropriate dc car adaptor for your laptop should convert the voltage for you - 12v to 19v isn't a big step up - will just use slightly more current from your car battery. USB voltage is only +-5v but can drain variable current (up to 5A for charging devices from a laptop for e.g).

How do you step up dc voltage. You cant use a transformer.

How do you step up dc voltage. You cant use a transformer.

The adaptors will have a small invertor built in

It's quite easy - so can be changed by using a simple step up circuit without going back to ac (this is what the car adaptor does for you). Inverters are used to convert dc to ac or vice versa.

You generally use a transformer to step down (or up) larger 240 voltages ac, and then a diode bridge and cap smoothing circuit to convert ac to dc.

Why have a device that runs 19v, why not 12?

if 12 then no need for adapters.

Why does anything have to be anything? Why do some engines have 2.0l and others 1.6 or 5? :)

Less voltage, generally speaking, less power usage. Power (in watts) = current (amps) x voltage. Someone deemed 12v to give enough charge to kick start an engine. 

Why cant tjere be a standard poser socket for all lappies?

why not just buy an extra battery or two for your laptop and pre charge them before going away x

why not just buy an extra battery or two for your laptop and pre charge them before going away x

thats a lot of batteries for a week away!

Ah, the device runs off 12v battery but the battery needs to be charged at a higher voltage hence 19v.