Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Victoria Derbyshire On Prostitution On Bbc2 This Morning

11 posts in this topic

I didn't see the broadcast but caught up on iPlayer this evening. It starts with a reporter piece from 21:00 to 35:00 and goes on to a studio debate with Niki Adams and Cat Banyard until 43:50 or so.

Predictably, reporter Catrin Nye in the first part of the piece gives lots of airtime to the antis - a Nottingham copper intent on shutting down all forms of paid sex whose patch is the redlight district where he knows all the street workers and an ex-prostitute from Ireland whose views seem to come from a 19th century Vatican manual. They go to Sweden and drive round with a Swedish copper - it's all very much par for the course for a biased media view of "the evil world of vile sexual degradation."

The studio piece is much better, thanks to Niki Adams. She takes a bit of time to get going but compared to the robotic dogma-spouting of Cat Banyard, she makes her points and comes across as a real human being. Victoria Derbyshire is vacuous and I got the impression she'd be out of her depth in a half-filled teacup. Maybe she's not long for mainstream TV if this article in the Grauniad is to be believed!

I have the feeling that The Great British Public actually doesn't care about the issue of sex work; let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

I didn't see the broadcast but caught up on iPlayer this evening. It starts with a reporter piece from 21:00 to 35:00 and goes on to a studio debate with Niki Adams and Cat Banyard until 43:50 or so.

Predictably, reporter Catrin Nye in the first part of the piece gives lots of airtime to the antis - a Nottingham copper intent on shutting down all forms of paid sex whose patch is the redlight district where he knows all the street workers and an ex-prostitute from Ireland whose views seem to come from a 19th century Vatican manual. They go to Sweden and drive round with a Swedish copper - it's all very much par for the course for a biased media view of "the evil world of vile sexual degradation."

The studio piece is much better, thanks to Niki Adams. She takes a bit of time to get going but compared to the robotic dogma-spouting of Cat Banyard, she makes her points and comes across as a real human being. Victoria Derbyshire is vacuous and I got the impression she'd be out of her depth in a half-filled teacup. Maybe she's not long for mainstream TV if this article in the Grauniad is to be believed!

I have the feeling that The Great British Public actually doesn't care about the issue of sex work; let sleeping dogs lie and all that.

Some do,some don't.Quite a few have the old,as long as its not on my doorstep i couldn't care less attitude.Oddly enough,from my experiences i've found older people to not really be bothered,and some after seeing docs like sex on wheels have been in favour.

It has however become a good earner for some.whether as various spokespeople groups explaining to us why its bad,to book sales.This goes all the way through to gvt funded "help" groups and the various stat gatherers.If i see one more report talking about prostitution and trafficking as if its the only trade it happens in.Yes it does,as in pretty much everything nowdays,whether it be catering,cleaning,sales,labouring both site and farm.Are these people any less deserving of our sympathy.are they any less msitreated abused.Off course not.And yet we only focus on a tiny proportion who are deemed as needing help and the only industry they want to create new laws supposedly to help,although they won't actually do anything about the problem.Why is this.Shock factor.when you talk about people being forced to labour on sites,work in kitchens most people think,well thats not so bad,regardless of those people being starved,beaten if they dont work,family injured or killed if they try to escape.It still doesn't have that shock and so any "help" scheme to do with that wouldnt get anywhere near the level of funding.All the time the anti prostitution movement earns people a good living there will be more reports,surveys and general codswallop

Having not seen the program in question and perhaps won't until at least the weekend.. So hopefully it is still up online then.

My comments can only be on the one's you have mentioned...

Is it really a biased media view or is it in fact how the general non punting/prostitution people see the sex trade?

However I don't see this debate going away.. So sleeping dogs will awaken and perhaps in time bite!

"Is it really a biased media view or is it in fact how the general non punting/prostitution people see the sex trade?"

I think that general non punting/prostitution people form their views based on the information they're given, chiefly by the media, so if the media is biased, the public are likely to hold biased views. My guess is that the Victoria Derbyshire programme makers have seized on this issue as a topic to get some ratings!

I came across the programme from this article on the BBC website, which is itself full of very questionable figures, e.g. "There were 60,879 prostitutes in the UK in 2009." That's a laughably precise number! How do they know that there are exactly 60,879? Maybe there are really 60,880 but one of the girls was having a day off when they were counting? :D

It's following up on the recent Northern Ireland legislation, of course.

Edited by Max Gentle
2 people like this

Max.. The figures quoted are not fact. I have no idea how many prostitutes work in the UK.. Am I also supposed to times the punters alleged by 25 to the prostitutes number? To get a the number of punters active in the UK?

My point is simple.. people make judgments and not via the media..

1 person likes this

"Is it really a biased media view or is it in fact how the general non punting/prostitution people see the sex trade?"

I think that general non punting/prostitution people form their views based on the information they're given, chiefly by the media, so if the media is biased, the public are likely to hold biased views. My guess is that the Victoria Derbyshire programme makers have seized on this issue as a topic to get some ratings!

I came across the programme from this article on the BBC website, which is itself full of very questionable figures, e.g. "There were 60,879 prostitutes in the UK in 2009." That's a laughably precise number! How do they know that there are exactly 60,879? Maybe there are really 60,880 but one of the girls was having a day off when they were counting? :D

It's following up on the recent Northern Ireland legislation, of course.

You couldn't concoct some of the bull-shine around opposing consensual adult sex work if you tried.

At the bottom of the bbc article is a link to a bogus charity web-site called EndDemandUK. Surfing around this site you will find them promoting numbers which show that involuntary prostitution is at least 3% ( 130 million GBP ) of the total prostitution market in the UK. That's about the same % as say tax credits fraud. 

We don't like the % that is involuntary or fraudulent in either prostitution or tax credits of course and would report it if known. But to have statistics from your own bogus charity web-site that pretty well disproves your main point is like dumping horse manure on your own door step.

1 person likes this

Perhaps tax credits should be banned.

I was amused by this story which broke recently about the chief prosecutor in Stockholm - http://www.thelocal.se/20130226/46422

To me the Swedish model is rooted in radical feminism (to them, regardless of consent, the punter commits an act of violence against the woman) which is why he is criminalized and the new legislation in NI is rooted in that 'give me that old time religion' and Presbyterianism who delight in guilt and relish shaming.

The story of the unlucky Swedish prosecutor is a morality tale proving that we are horny apes who have a penchant for adventurous sex!  (Sex at Dawn - Christopher Ryman Phd),

Usual concentration on street prostitution where it is already illegal for men to indulge  . Wonder how they worked out the average payment of £67.16. Obviously biased towards the street trade.

I was amused by this story which broke recently about the chief prosecutor in Stockholm - http://www.thelocal.se/20130226/46422

To me the Swedish model is rooted in radical feminism (to them, regardless of consent, the punter commits an act of violence against the woman) which is why he is criminalized and the new legislation in NI is rooted in that 'give me that old time religion' and Presbyterianism who delight in guilt and relish shaming.

The story of the unlucky Swedish prosecutor is a morality tale proving that we are horny apes who have a penchant for adventurous sex!  (Sex at Dawn - Christopher Ryman Phd),

Nothing new under the sun!

High time some theatre company revived Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" and set it in present-day Sweden.

Liked her on 5live but she does lack that cutting edge.