Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peboone

G.u.m Phonecall :-/

20 posts in this topic

Got a call last week from a clinic i've never attended from a health advisor. Unfortunately i missed the call and picked up the message basically saying that it was in relation to one of their patients and i should phone them back ! I was to late to speak to anybody late on Friday. Spent the whole weekend worried sick about the who ? what ? when ? I started jotting a list of punts and other encounters. I had in recent times exchanged phone numbers with a few WG's. Fast forward to Monday where i managed to liaise with the clinic who informed me that one of their patients have tested positive for chlamydia and declined to inform me personally but opted for this anonymised service. I barely slept or ate over the weekend for worrying and expressed that to this clinic. They then text me and told me to produce the text at a local clinic to me, which i did and received a test and medication. Having racked my brains i feel that i may have been exposed to chlamydia with a lady i met in 'normal' life as opposed to a WG ! Any experiences of anything similar to this ?

So the lady gave your number to the clinic and let them do her dirty work? I'm surprised the clinic did this. I thought they encouraged the sti carrier to contact those they have slept with.

Apparently this is a new thing...they had some jargon term for it ! The whole episode has got me thinking a lot of things. Inference being the lady that i occasional sleep with perhaps thinks i'm naive enough to think that i'm her one and only ! And can't handle a frank conversation ! Alternatively is she being caring by getting the clinic to call me ? Or is it malicious ? I questioned the clinic on these points and they said that they can't be responsible for malicious nominations ! The friggin worry i had over the weekend gave me a permanent migrane.

Rather indiscreet leaving a Voicemail. Could cause problems for married folk.

Not sure about it being malicious. The lady in question probably didn't have the guts to contact you herself.

1 person likes this

So the lady gave your number to the clinic and let them do her dirty work? I'm surprised the clinic did this. I thought they encouraged the sti carrier to contact those they have slept with.

I can understand why they would introduce this. Better that the clinic gets in touch than no one gets in touch. I don't believe for a second everyone who tests positive for something at the clinic then informs their sexual partners, if they did then it would be  a lot better but not everyone gives a toss about others unfortunately and would only think about how it would reflect on them as oppose to saving the other persons future sexual partners from exposure. People are selfish, I guess the clinics recongnise this

Apparently this is a new thing...they had some jargon term for it ! The whole episode has got me thinking a lot of things. Inference being the lady that i occasional sleep with perhaps thinks i'm naive enough to think that i'm her one and only ! And can't handle a frank conversation ! Alternatively is she being caring by getting the clinic to call me ? Or is it malicious ? I questioned the clinic on these points and they said that they can't be responsible for malicious nominations ! The friggin worry i had over the weekend gave me a permanent migrane.

she could have given multiple phone numbers to the clinic, they probably wouldn't inform you of this as as far as they are concerned other people you have never met are not any of  your concern, your concern is your sexual heath and that's it. The are right though, malicious nominations are not their concern, their only concern is getting people tested and treated.

How would they enforce it though? The carrier could quite easily say they don't have any contact details.

I don't like the idea of them leaving an informative voicemail

1 person likes this

They do call.  A client of mine who is based in Hertfordshire had a similar message saying to call the clinic (in Bristol!) and it was too late for him to call back that day. He worried greatly and thought it had to be relating to one of his encounters with us ladies.  Called them up the next day all worried and it transpired that they had gotten a digit wrong in the phone number which is pretty bad. But he was a happy man. 

I hope it goes ok for you peboone. 

Yes clients do need to know but I tell the clinic that I will contact clients, and that I would decide how to do so in a appropriately discrete manner.

Edited by Strawberry
2 people like this

Rather indiscreet leaving a Voicemail. Could cause problems for married folk.

Not sure about it being malicious. The lady in question probably didn't have the guts to contact you herself.

understatement of the century

2 people like this

I suppose GUM clinics are more concerned with looking after people's health and the prevention of  the spread of STIs and not with whether people have been cheating on their partners! 

I suppose GUM clinics are more concerned with looking after people's health and the prevention of  the spread of STIs and not with whether people have been cheating on their partner

Which is one reason to not give client details to GUM clinics.

Edited by Strawberry
1 person likes this

One more reason for guys to invest in a punting phone/punting Sim/dual Sim

I'm shocked they'd do this, IMO it's the wg's responsibility to let any clients she's seen know.

Quite apart from the discretionary side of things, at least if the wg made contact, a punter would know if he'd seen any other wg's since he saw the lady concerned. A random message from a GUM clinic about something that could have happened lord knows when with an unknown person isn't exactly helpful. If the punter has seen several wg's over a short period, he'd have to be letting them all know and possibly causing some undue concern. Including of course the rather cowardly person who had chosen to let someone else do her dirty work.

IMO it's the wg's responsibility to let any clients she's seen know.

I don't agree. Speaking as a WG, I feel it's my responsibility to look after my own sexual health, and it's your responsibility to look after yours.

If you have been indulging in practices that leave you vulnerable to picking up an STD, it's YOUR responsibility to have regular health checks,

not wait for somebody to alert you, whether that's a clinic, a WG, or somebody else you may have inadvertently infected. The buck stops with you.

I don't agree. Speaking as a WG, I feel it's my responsibility to look after my own sexual health, and it's your responsibility to look after yours.If you have been indulging in practices that leave you vulnerable to picking up an STD, it's YOUR responsibility to have regular health checks,not wait for somebody to alert you, whether that's a clinic, a WG, or somebody else you may have inadvertently infected. The buck stops with you.

Of course it's the individual's responsibility to get tested and that isn't what I was referring to. The thread is about GUM's contacting people an infected patient has told them about. My point is the individual should let people know themselves and shouldn't be letting other people (ie a GUM) do their dirty work.

So are you saying if you went to a GUM for a check up and found you'd contracted something you wouldn't inform any clients you'd seen? For example I visited a GUM in March and got the all clear. Let's say a week later I saw a wg who a week after that went for her check up and found she'd contracted something. I'd expect her to be letting anyone she's seen know. We are responsible for our own sexual health of course but we don't go for a check up after every single encounter! It might be 2 or 3 months before I go again, in that time I may have seen half a dozen other girls and unknowingly infected them. If the first wg had contacted me when she found out, it would have saved a lot of hassle for a lot of people. Surely that makes sense and is the responsible thing to do? Or do we all just keep quiet about it and leave them to find out for themselves?

1 person likes this

Personally though I think it's a great idea, can you imagine how many people would not have aids for example if this had always been the case. THat said I think they could be a bit more subtle, and just refer themeselves as a general health centre rather than a GUM clinic, that way they'd reduce worry and the potential for embarassment, though they would also probably get fewer call backs , as we wouldn't be so worried.

One more reason for guys to invest in a punting phone/punting Sim/dual Sim

Actually I'd say this is a situation where a punting phone is likely to be a hinderance - at least if you would want to receive a warning. Chances are your punting phone would be off/not looked at if you weren't due to have another punt for a while.

Better he got a call at all than not have that other option.  Not sure why, of all the people he's indulged in risky behaviour with, it would be the off-duty working girl that he'd assumed had passed it on to him.  And this is the problem.  People thinking only working girls carry std risks so they throw caution to the wind with someone's who's sexual history you really can't vouch for.  Except that you really, really, don't want to have to use a condom so will shrug away the risk.

Actually I'd say this is a situation where a punting phone is likely to be a hinderance - at least if you would want to receive a warning. Chances are your punting phone would be off/not looked at if you weren't due to have another punt for a while.

Well at least there would be a comforting voicemail to be discovered :-)

The voicemail should only ask the client to contact the clinic. It should not contain any detail.