Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancelot

No More Cheap Overseas Calls - Access Charges To 084

8 posts in this topic

The new ofcom regs has resulted in BT and others applying an access charge to the useful 0844 numbers of 9.58p per minute.

At present my o/h pays 2p per minute total to call russia

from 1 july that will change and will more likely be 11.58 p per minute

a change which is supposed to help consumers looks like an excuse for the providers to make more money

any thoughts?

I don't think 0844 numbers were free anyway were they? The alternative is to use your mobile if you have unlimited or lots of minutes and dial the landline number which most of the cheap call companies provide. However, agreed that OFCOM does sod all for the consumer. There's a 25p charge on 08 and 09 numbers on mobiles. Luckily lots of companies are switching to 03 numbers which I think can be included in mobile airtime calls.

On a separate note, OFCOM said they would force mobile companies to allow use of mobile packages in Europe but that hasn't materialised

I don't think 0844 numbers were free anyway were they? The alternative is to use your mobile if you have unlimited or lots of minutes and dial the landline number which most of the cheap call companies provide. However, agreed that OFCOM does sod all for the consumer. There's a 25p charge on 08 and 09 numbers on mobiles. Luckily lots of companies are switching to 03 numbers which I think can be included in mobile airtime calls.

On a separate note, OFCOM said they would force mobile companies to allow use of mobile packages in Europe but that hasn't materialised

No the 0844 numbers are not free

but the net cost of calls to russia on the service we use is 2 P - from 1 july it will be 2 P per min plus access charge if 9.58 p per minute

looks like we will go back to skype

Use skype. Just pay for a local call in russia unless who you are calling has skype then its free.

Always worth checking out http://www.saynoto0870.comfor any of the local or premium rate numbers, I've had a fair bit of success with that site.

1 person likes this

If not skyping or using up my mobile allowance I've used  www.call1899.co.uk/ quite sucessfully. 1p per min to call the US which is pretty good.  Looks like this site is 2p per min to Russia

If not skyping or using up my mobile allowance I've used  www.call1899.co.uk/ quite sucessfully. 1p per min to call the US which is pretty good.  Looks like this site is 2p per min to Russia

thanks for that tip

so you sign up and dial 1899 then the number you want - you pay direct to 1889 through your 1889 account

how does it appear on your bt bill and what charge is levied next to each call?

thanks for that tip

so you sign up and dial 1899 then the number you want - you pay direct to 1889 through your 1889 account

how does it appear on your bt bill and what charge is levied next to each call?

I'm with talktalk so in my case there  is an 0800  number you dial which does the same thing.  0800 numbers don't actually appear on my itemised talktalk bill.    I assume with BT the 1899 is a free call but no idea if it will appear on your bill. When you log in your 1899 account there's a fully itemised bill 5p or 6p connection charge + 1p per minute or whatever the country charge is. hope that helps