Bob the Builder

One For Mac Users

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I received an email purporting to come from Apple informing me that my Apple Account had been suspended because they had detected an unauthorised use of my email. I was told that, as a result, I would be unable to use Apple services and was invited to click on a link in order to sort the problem out.

Being old and cynical, and deciding that nothing about it looked in the slightest bit genuine, I deleted it straight away on the basis that it was probably a scam. 

And guess what - nothing has happened - my computer works just as well today as it did 2 days ago.

Has anybody else seen this one or fallen foul of it?

Yesterday, I received an email purporting to come from Apple informing me that my Apple Account had been suspended because they had detected an unauthorised use of my email. I was told that, as a result, I would be unable to use Apple services and was invited to click on a link in order to sort the problem out.

Being old and cynical, and deciding that nothing about it looked in the slightest bit genuine, I deleted it straight away on the basis that it was probably a scam. 

And guess what - nothing has happened - my computer works just as well today as it did 2 days ago.

its called a phishing email.  the website on the link will be fake trying to access your account details.  well one for deleting it.

surprised your email didnt find it.

Agree with Coventry.

Always type in the website name in the address bar yourself to ensure you're going to the genuine website... or at the very least do a google search (of course, other search engines exist lol). Never click on the link provided... especially if you're already suspicious of it.

I would say it's worth forwarding the email to the provider of your email account, to make sure they are aware of it.

On a side note, it is unusual to hear of people targeting Macs though, as over 95 % of computers are PC's using some form of Windows... so they'd get a far better return from these.

Edited by DirtyGit

Yeah, glad you chose to delete it. I get these from time to time - as others have said it's a phishing email, wanting you to log in with your apple ID and bam, they got you! Apple would never send you this sort of email.

Mac's suffer far less from viruses and trojans than PCs do, in fact in all my 20 years of owning an Apple Mac, i've never had a virus! Phishing is rife though, makes me laugh when a Barclays phishing email comes through..."naughty naughty, i don't even have a Barclays account!" *wags finger*

1 person likes this

Apple wouldn't ask you for such a thing. Definitely a scam, glad you deleted it. What I usually do is check the email address from the sender (with some messenger tools) and I get if it's a scam or not. Just like others Mac users, I never had a problem with my computer for years.

Yeah, people who dont even have an apple id get those too!