Jonnybgood

Windows 10.

35 posts in this topic

I've noticed a new windows image on the right of my computers task bar.

Opened it up and its an advert for a free copy of Windows 10.

How nice of Microsoft to 'cold' call my computer.

It arrived with the last update of Win7  (KB3035583)  uninstall that and it goes.   Not sure for how long, I guess it will be there again at the next update.

Here's a bit more background about Windows 10 from the Helpful Books website at http://helpfulbooks.co.uk/emailnewsletter/?p=618

Windows 10 – the version to end all Windows?
From what Microsoft are saying, it’s true that they don’t plan to bring out Windows 11 a year later, having re-written it in the same way they have done since they first brought out Windows 1.0

But it doesn’t mean they aren’t going to change it. Instead they’ll be concentrating on the automatic updates that you get every week or so.

They already happen, fixing bugs and adding little tiny changes. But most of the time you don’t notice the differences from them.

But in the future, that’s how they’ll develop Windows itself.

I’m in two minds about this. On the one hand, it’ll be convenient that everyone will have the same version. And you won’t have to pay for a new one when it comes out.

But on the other hand, you could be happily using your PC and then one day find out a button has changed colour… or moved… or it can now do something it couldn’t before.

That could be confusing… so a lot depends on how well they do the updates and changes. I suspect they’ll tend to do only small, “bug fixes” most of the time then occasionally bring out a batch of changes to how it actually works. But it depends what they decide.

This way of working is a lot more like how most tablets get updates – both Apple (for the iPad) and Google (for Android tablets) do it more or less this way, so in some ways it makes sense for Microsoft to be the same.

1 person likes this

Here's a bit more background about Windows 10 from the Helpful Books website at http://helpfulbooks.co.uk/emailnewsletter/?p=618

Windows 10 – the version to end all Windows?

From what Microsoft are saying, it’s true that they don’t plan to bring out Windows 11 a year later, having re-written it in the same way they have done since they first brought out Windows 1.0

But it doesn’t mean they aren’t going to change it. Instead they’ll be concentrating on the automatic updates that you get every week or so.

They already happen, fixing bugs and adding little tiny changes. But most of the time you don’t notice the differences from them.

But in the future, that’s how they’ll develop Windows itself.

I’m in two minds about this. On the one hand, it’ll be convenient that everyone will have the same version. And you won’t have to pay for a new one when it comes out.

But on the other hand, you could be happily using your PC and then one day find out a button has changed colour… or moved… or it can now do something it couldn’t before.

That could be confusing… so a lot depends on how well they do the updates and changes. I suspect they’ll tend to do only small, “bug fixes” most of the time then occasionally bring out a batch of changes to how it actually works. But it depends what they decide.

This way of working is a lot more like how most tablets get updates – both Apple (for the iPad) and Google (for Android tablets) do it more or less this way, so in some ways it makes sense for Microsoft to be the same.

i turn off updates.  then i do a download of the updates after i have created a restore point.  Then if they fuck it up i can go back to a good system.

And here's a later further posting about Windows 10 on the Helpful Books blog at http://helpfulbooks.co.uk/emailnewsletter/?p=628

Microsoft’s triumph is that they’ve finally finished Windows 10.  Well, very nearly.  Nearly enough to announce the launch date: July 29th – which is bang on when they said they were aiming for.

Well, that’s when it’ll be available to download as a free update if you already have Windows 7 or 8.  If you want to buy a disk in a shop, you’ll have to wait a bit longer and if you want to buy a new PC with it already on, well, they haven’t announced that yet.  (But I don’t expect it’ll be much later.)

I wouldn’t normally have bothered writing an extra email to tell you that – I’m planning to tell you a bit more about it in next Monday’s email anyway.  But Microsoft have also started telling people they can get the new version… and it could be a bit confusing.

You may get a little message on your PC pop up saying you can get Windows 10.  That could be confusing or even seem suspicious, since it’s not out for another month and a bit.

What’s happening is that you can now book the free upgrade.  You won’t actually get it until July 29th, but it’s likely that so many people will want it that not everyone will be able to download it at once on the first day.  So if you want it on the first day, you need to book it.  And that’s what you’re being offered now – booking the free upgrade.

Even if you don’t book it now, you’ll still be able to get it – just not on the first day or so that it’s out.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m quite impressed with Windows 10, but I’d probably recommend holding off – for just a few weeks.

Partly because there’s always the possibility that there’ll be some big bugs that get fixed in the first week or two after it’s out.  Partly because I’ll be bringing you more info in the next few newsletters about whether it’s worth getting the upgrade and how to go about it if you do – best read that lot first!

i turn off updates.  then i do a download of the updates after i have created a restore point.  Then if they fuck it up i can go back to a good system.

OK I guess if you have enough expertise to know what you're doing. Microsoft Updates seem to come in batches and I don't think I could differentiate between vital security patches and the odd rogue update that would cause problems.

However, I'm happy with Windows 7 and I think I'll resist the lure of Windows 10 for as long as conceivably possible. It will be interesting to see how long Microsoft will supply Windows 7 updates without automatically bundling in Windows 10 as part of their regular updates.

1 person likes this

OK I guess if you have enough expertise to know what you're doing. Microsoft Updates seem to come in batches and I don't think I could differentiate between vital security patches and the odd rogue update that would cause problems.

However, I'm happy with Windows 7 and I think I'll resist the lure of Windows 10 for as long as conceivably possible. It will be interesting to see how long Microsoft will supply Windows 7 updates without automatically bundling in Windows 10 as part of their regular updates.

mebbe i will install linux...

I have only recently got used to Windows 8 !  I am always 2 or 3 years behind many others..... but see no reason to jump on the latest version of anything really......

Windows 10 ?  I just googled WIndows 9 and can't be bothered to read all the guff..... but for some very important reason they have skipped it and gone straight to 10.... which I will probably be using in 2018 but not much before.

:rolleyes:

There is quite a useful briefing in a free 24 page booklet available here http://helpfulbooks.co.uk/Windows10ebook.htm.

It seems that if you want to update from Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to Windows 10 for free, you will have up to 12 months from 29 July to do so. After that you will have to pay.

It also appears from the booklet that Windows 7 will be supported until 2020. I am sure my 5 year old laptop will have packed up by then, so I shall resist the temptation to download Windows 10 for free in the meantime as I'm more than happy with Windows 7.

When my laptop eventually packs up, I imagine Windows 10 will be bundled in with whatever I buy to replace it and that will be soon enough to acquire Windows 10 as far as I am concerned.

3 people like this

Helpful info, Carnival - thanks. Do carry on!

I am however surprised you won't go to 10 asap as you say you are impressed with what you have heard, read or seen and the security aspects are surely the big reason for going to the latest OS.

Apple do their updates of the system as Windows will now be done so Apple users have the most recent security while lots of Windows people still rely on the now-dubious security of XP.

Lynn, while I can do all I need to do on 8.1, I understand 10 will be more user-friendly and is the last completely new system, why not go for the new one this time - the last time you will need to, even if you do take carnival's advice and hold off for the initial bugs to be sorted out.

Hi Carnival. That is a very useful booklet: thank you. However, I think it says that the XP user will have to pay for the upgrade. Bother!

Thanks for this - I need a new laptop and will probably wait until Windows 10 has been available for 3-4 months (I like other people to find the glitches first...)

I suppose the thing that concerns me is by how much the new operating system will slow down my computer which is now about 3 years old.  It works well enough now on Win 7 so I'm thinking along the lines of waiting until I upgrade my hardware before upgraging the OS.

Was a windows user for years at home and still use windows OS for work, converted to apple at home and the experience is MUCH better.

No viruses now in 6 years, no faults or going slow, no calls to help desks, everything just works reliably.

Devices are dearer but everything connects so easily, for me its worth paying the extra and perhaps cost of ownership is less; given that I use no virus protection on the Mac's and never having to take the machine to IT support people

I suppose the thing that concerns me is by how much the new operating system will slow down my computer which is now about 3 years old.  It works well enough now on Win 7 so I'm thinking along the lines of waiting until I upgrade my hardware before upgraging the OS.

I have read that 10 should be lighter on the load it puts on a PC than some earlier versions...

Some of you are talking warp factor language with Windows 10 etc, I've only had Windows7 for a few months! :D

I am on Windows 8.1, which is modern for me and it is OK once i caught hold of basics so have not had the continuing annoyance many 8 people refer to.

10 is supposed to lower the load on the PC as far as I recall reading. Can't recall how but it is set to be a user-friendly/PC/tablet/phone friendly affair - we will see.

I have cancelled my reservation for it and will let the main bugs get sorted before upgrading within the year's free upgrade offer.

Thinking about the upgrade as its free but it l don't get on with it will l be able return to 7 ? down side for me will be once 10 is downloaded I will have no installation disk to get me out the shite and that I run two old programmes that were meant for XP but just about work on 7 once you get rid of some warning pop ups so expect they will be useless on 10.

I think I read (on here?) that some reasonably PC savvy people will download 10 but on a separate partition or data disc so that they still have their older version to go back to if they don't like 10.

Not quite sure Microsoft will allow an update when there is no residue of a qualifying old system on the disc 10 is being sent to.

But i am no techie tho there is bound to be a blog on the issue somewhere.

Had a message a few days ago about Windows 10 but have decided to wait for a while to see how others get on with it. Has anyone taken the plunge today/yesterday? If so, any thoughts?

No - but only because I can't get the notifcation logo back having cancelled my initial reservation.

There appears to have been no pc world catastrophe over the last 24 hours apparently so it may be going ok...

I got another 'reminder' yesterday and decided to reserve a slot for upgrading and I'll be notified as and when they get around to me. At that point I've further options on if/when to accept. Still not heard a whisper as to how it is going - if it was cataclysmic I would have thought the outcry would have reached even to me!

Beenaboutabit, it might soon be time to tell you about God Mode ...

Beenaboutabit, it might soon be time to tell you about God Mode ...

I have read the God Mode thread and decided it is wasted on me! :wacko:

http://www.punternet.com/forum/index.php/topic/5079-windows-7-godmode/?hl=%2Bgod+%2Bmode#entry95821

I've heard that Windows 10 is getting a mixed reception and it depends on how old your machine is if its any good. 

If so the lifespan of Windows 7 has real relevance to me, and also my son who bought a used laptop recently, it too has Windows 7 and he was told the machine would be ok for W 10, it seems that could be right, but ........  :(