Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonnybgood

Excuses, Excuses.

24 posts in this topic

I've only had to cancel punts a few times in the past, rail problems, a car accident, I was rear ended when I hoped it would be me doing the rear ending that morning and my son being ill.

Yesterday brought me something different, a little old lady.

I was walking to my train station to catch a train up to London for a punt, just passing a bus stop when I saw an old woman coming towards me pushing a 'sholley'. The pavement curves away to accommodate the bus stop bay, instead of following the curve of the pavement she carried on in a straight line. In slow motion, first one wheel then another went off the curb and in a very good imitation of Del Boy, she ended up in a heap in the gutter.

People at the bus stop were closer than me but they just stood looking, so I rushed over to help her to her feet. I asked if she was ok and she said no, her leg and hip were hurting. Meanwhile a woman came up to help. The short story is the woman ended up calling an ambulance, the old woman was in a lot of pain from her hip.

The ambulance came and carted her off to hospital, a paramedic hoped it was just bruising.

Three quarters of an hour later than I wanted, I phoned the girl to let her know I was running late, she told me she could still fit me in if I could get there in an hour. I could just make it, a train was due. Rushed to the station, bollocks, not my day. Because of a 'trespass'  on the line there were severe delays to trains to and from Waterloo.

Will have to wait till next week to try again.

4 people like this

But don't you feel better for helping that lady!  If you tell the lady in question what happened surely she will reward you kindly! :)

Hope the lady was understanding about your cancellation!

The like was for being selfless and helping the old lady by the way, not for missing your punt! :)

Wow, well done on helping out - this may sound harsh but could you not have said "I need to just send a text or call someone to let them know I'm delayed"?

Jonnybgood - I salute you, sir! May your punt be all the sweeter when you can get to it.

Wow, well done on helping out - this may sound harsh but could you not have said "I need to just send a text or call someone to let them know I'm delayed"?

I was busy holding her hand, chatting to her and trying to keep her calm. The woman who came to help was busy fending off other people, making sure bus drivers saw us.

As someone whose often rushing to be on time for the start of a punt, and who sometimes gets there late, I feel your pain :mellow:

Reminds me of the time a woman with whom I had an appointment called me at the very last moment to postpone because of a badly bleeding pussy.

Turned out her cat had just been run over and she had to rush it to the vet.

Happily it survived and a very enjoyable punt was had on the re-arranged visit........

Edited by Questor

There are some things more important than this and helping with the correct thing to do.  There is always another day and another lady if the one you were going to see gets her knickers in a twist. And she saved you some money.  Feeling more proud and richer is a good feeling.

I was busy holding her hand, chatting to her and trying to keep her calm. The woman who came to help was busy fending off other people, making sure bus drivers saw us.

Still, it only take a minute to send a text. What you did for the old lady is commendable but you left a girl sitting there with no word to let her know what was going on after you should have arrived. Im afraid that would have gotten a block from me nowadays. You can very easily say "excuse me a moment, I need to cancel a meeting".

Reminds me of the time a woman with whom I had an appointment called me at the very last moment to postpone because of a badly bleeding pussy.

Turned out her cat had just been run over and she had to rush it to the vet.

Happily it survived and a very enjoyable punt was had on the re-arranged visit........

At least she let you know. Things happen in life that we least expect but it only takes half a minute to send that text. I have had cause to cancel bookings sometimes very last minute because of things to do with my children but I wouldnt just bugger off and not send that cancellation text along with an apology

How was the old girl in the end?

Still, it only take a minute to send a text. What you did for the old lady is commendable but you left a girl sitting there with no word to let her know what was going on after you should have arrived. Im afraid that would have gotten a block from me nowadays. You can very easily say "excuse me a moment, I need to cancel a meeting".

Ok bonny lass, don't get your knickers in a twist, I didn't let her know what was happening after I should of arrived. I don't know where you got that idea from, I let her know over an hour before I should have met her.

I find it very strange that I'm having to defend myself but here goes.

The logistics.

My punt was at 11.30.

I leave my house at 9.15 to walk to rail station to catch 10.10 train.

It takes me a half hour to walk to the station. I like to get there early, nine times out of ten the ticket office is closed and there is a queue for the ticket machine.

About half way through my walk at about 9.30, the old lady took her tumble.

It was about 10.25 by the time the ambulance took her away, that's when I phoned the girl. If I had managed to catch the next train, I would have had to run, I would have been about a half hour late for my meeting.

To carry on, if it was a normal day without incident, my 10.10 train would have reached Waterloo about 10.55, that gives me about 35 minutes to use the tube network. I generally get to a punt with 15 minutes to spare. 

Mobile phones, I must be one of the few people who do not think a mobile is a natural appendage. I'm not married to it, its not welded to my hand, I see it as a useful abomination.

My punting phone is old, it is switched off till needed, it is kept in a spectacle case in the bottom of my back pack, usually under a rain mac, a book to read on the train, an A to Z, a bottle of water or juice and what ever crap has found its way in there.

1 person likes this

How was the old girl in the end?

Sorry I don't know, when she was taken away in the ambulance that was the last I saw of her. I didn't know her name, even if I did I doubt the hospital would give any info if I phoned. The ambulance crew took my name and address and the woman's who came to help but that was it. The police turned up while the ambulance was there, had a chat with the paramedic, saw they weren't needed and buggered off.

Sorry I don't know, when she was taken away in the ambulance that was the last I saw of her. I didn't know her name, even if I did I doubt the hospital would give any info if I phoned. The ambulance crew took my name and address and the woman's who came to help but that was it. The police turned up while the ambulance was there, had a chat with the paramedic, saw they weren't needed and buggered off.

Well here's hoping her a speedy recovery wherever she is.

At least she let you know. Things happen in life that we least expect but it only takes half a minute to send that text. I have had cause to cancel bookings sometimes very last minute because of things to do with my children but I wouldnt just bugger off and not send that cancellation text along with an apology

Indeed, yes.

It's funny isn't it how our expectations have changed with new communications technology - back in the day when we all relied on 'phone boxes when out and about we had so much more scope for skiving and inconvenience!

I've only had to cancel punts a few times in the past, rail problems, a car accident, I was rear ended when I hoped it would be me doing the rear ending that morning and my son being ill.

Yesterday brought me something different, a little old lady.

I was walking to my train station to catch a train up to London for a punt, just passing a bus stop when I saw an old woman coming towards me pushing a 'sholley'. The pavement curves away to accommodate the bus stop bay, instead of following the curve of the pavement she carried on in a straight line. In slow motion, first one wheel then another went off the curb and in a very good imitation of Del Boy, she ended up in a heap in the gutter.

People at the bus stop were closer than me but they just stood looking, so I rushed over to help her to her feet. I asked if she was ok and she said no, her leg and hip were hurting. Meanwhile a woman came up to help. The short story is the woman ended up calling an ambulance, the old woman was in a lot of pain from her hip.

The ambulance came and carted her off to hospital, a paramedic hoped it was just bruising.

Three quarters of an hour later than I wanted, I phoned the girl to let her know I was running late, she told me she could still fit me in if I could get there in an hour. I could just make it, a train was due. Rushed to the station, bollocks, not my day. Because of a 'trespass'  on the line there were severe delays to trains to and from Waterloo.

Will have to wait till next week to try again.

Something almost similar happened to me some 10 days ago.  I was in North London and saw this old African guy with a stick, probably slightly blind, who was crossing a busy road while people in the bus stop kept looking at him.  Cars stopped to allow him to pass and although I was tired I quickly stopped on the road to be near him and help him reach the safety of the pavement telling him at the same time he was a bit naughty.  He kept laughing in a mad way like a little child caught so I assumed he has done this before and just probably wanted a bit of human interaction, bless him... 

Ok bonny lass, don't get your knickers in a twist, I didn't let her know what was happening after I should of arrived. I don't know where you got that idea from, I let her know over an hour before I should have met her.

Guess I must have missed that bit lol ;)

Guess I must have missed that bit lol ;)

Well if I thought it would be an issue for anyone, I would have mentioned it in my first post.

Here's mine......

Its Friday evening and I have an appointment for friday night with a lady who I had seen before.

I'm there doing the dinner and Friday is fish and chips day for me (flash git i know) and I'm opening the beans.

And thats when it happens. I slice my thumb with the lid when opening the beans.......ouch.

Blood everywhere. So I bandage it up. Not deep enough for stitches but deep enough so it won't stop leaking.

So I ring the lady and explain and she thinks i'm pulling the mickey so I end up unwrapping the bandage and taking pics and sending them to her as proof coz she defo didn't believe.

Happy days coz 2 weeks later she makes it up to me in a nurse role play. Wicked.

Edited by hooch

Here's mine......

Its Friday evening and I have an appointment for friday night with a lady who I had seen before.

I'm there doing the dinner and Friday is fish and chips day for me (flash git i know) and I'm opening the beans.

And thats when it happens. I slice my thumb with the lid when opening the beans.......ouch.

Blood everywhere. So I bandage it up. Not deep enough for stitches but deep enough so it won't stop leaking.

So I ring the lady and explain and she thinks i'm pulling the mickey so I end up unwrapping the bandage and taking pics and sending them to her as proof coz she defo didn't believe.

Happy days coz 2 weeks later she makes it up to me in a nurse role play. Wicked.

Serves you right for opening a can of beans with fisn n chips....Should have been Mushy Peas!! :P

3 people like this

Here's mine......

Ha ha ha, I used to not believe any stories until it happened to me: I was going to a massage and one of my 7cm heels snapped in two.  I had to go back home and call the massage place and apologise fixing the appointment for another week.  

However this was the beginning of a season in which several other pairs of heels snapped in two or one of my sandals decided to let me down or even my 10 years old trainers (which I did not use in 10 years but kept them in boxes) decided to loose it's sole whilst I was running.  I was having enough, as all the shoes were some 10-15 years old yet looking in mint condition as they waited their turn to be worn, especially when this happened every week.  Ever since I travel mainly in wedges or with at least another pair of shoes in my bag.

Serves you right for opening a can of beans with fisn n chips....Should have been Mushy Peas!! :P

+1  I completely lost any sympathy for you when I read that.  :)

Very good. I don't like Mushy peas but they come in a tin right :D