charliet

What's Happened To Kings Cross?

19 posts in this topic

What has happened to Kings Cross?  Went there for the first time in years on Friday night and it's completely changed. Got completely lost and went home alone and unsatisfied with just a burger for company?   Please help! 

Just a note to say that the street scene is off topic.

Just a note to say that the street scene is off topic.

Does that preclude my providing OP with a summary of the major improvements that have transformed the fading St Pancras/Kings Cross area in recent years, including the opening of the St Pancras International Rail Terminal for the Eurostar, the refurbishment of the ancient Victorian station hotel that had been vacant for a half-century into the luxurious St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, and the architectually imaginative new home of the British Library?

2 people like this

Does that preclude my providing OP with a summary of the major improvements that have transformed the fading St Pancras/Kings Cross area in recent years, including the opening of the St Pancras International Rail Terminal for the Eurostar, the refurbishment of the ancient Victorian station hotel that had been vacant for a half-century into the luxurious St Pancras Renaissance Hotel, and the architectually imaginative new home of the British Library?

Plus Kings Place music and arts centre and an array of interesting bars, cafes and restaurants springing up as a result of one of the best area regeneration projects we've seen for some time.

The Flying Scotsman remains providing 'pound in the jug' striptease for those with a sense of nostalgia!

The Flying Scotsman remains providing 'pound in the jug' striptease for those with a sense of nostalgia!

Ah, yes - gaslights and scantily-clad strumpets lurking in the shadows, but then we would be off topic if we mentioned the wicked past of the Kings Cross area.  Shurely NOT on Punternet! ;)

Does that preclude my providing OP with a summary of the major improvements that have transformed the fading St Pancras/Kings Cross area

Excellent idea, I may report my verbal disagreement with the black cab driver who was behind me at the lights and was sounding his horn because I would not enter the box junction, so I gave him the Nescafe, he then pulled up along side and started complaining that the lights were green, I explained the highway code in some basic Anglosaxon so he could understand and also pointed out that it was also an offense to sound ones horn while stationary.....the he realized how large I am. Tossers, role on Uber I say.

Excellent idea, I may report my verbal disagreement with the black cab driver who was behind me at the lights and was sounding his horn because I would not enter the box junction, so I gave him the Nescafe, he then pulled up along side and started complaining that the lights were green, I explained the highway code in some basic Anglosaxon so he could understand and also pointed out that it was also an offense to sound ones horn while stationary.....the he realized how large I am. Tossers, role on Uber I say.

I understand the correct way to disagree with a black cab driver is to tell him to f**k off and die. 

is platform 9 3/4 still there?

Good job his cab wasn't RED  ;)

I have not been in kings cross since I was a student. In those days it had a huge mechanical departure board with thousands of clattering, ever changing notelets. It reminded me of the sound of elderly chinese ladies playing mah jung.

I could never understand how to get s porter to carry my case

is platform 9 3/4 still there?

The BedPan line and a number of domestic trains up to the East Midlands are accessed from the mezzanine tier toward the rear of the station, but the entire ground floor is now just one big shopping and amenity centre.

The bar of the renovated Great Northern hotel is a good place for assignations, especially if you are able to whisk the lady upstairs to a bedroom as well.

Wouldn't mind trying that with the adult Hermione!

What has happened to Kings Cross?  Went there for the first time in years on Friday night and it's completely changed. Got completely lost and went home alone and unsatisfied with just a burger for company?   Please help! 

Really?  I am so happy it changed.  Several weeks ago I had to walk to a nearby place around 5.30pm for a massage and I could not believe when a thug started talking behind me something about 'morning glory' etc.  I stopped near 2 guys of African origin hoping the thug will go away, yet he joined our conversation with me pretending I am asking for directions.  Even when I told him to go he would not.  I had to call the Police and only then he left.  I wanted to thank the African guys yet they did a runner too: they could have been illegals.  I would have liked to be angry about all the abuse I got yet these guys' running put a tiny smile on my face.

The area does still have a bit of a rough underbelly. A couple of years ago I was going to a meeting nearby at about 9.45 am and was approached by the roughest, skankiest looking junkie I've encountered in many a long year who was just about able to as if 'you want some business'. I was so glad that I had some genuine business to focus on, and for once was happy to do some work rather than pursue a sexual adventure!

Never have and never will have any interest in the street scene but yes the Kings Cross area has changed, if you use the post code on AW though there are plenty working in that area including some very popular women.

The bar of the renovated Great Northern hotel is a good place for assignations, especially if you are able to whisk the lady upstairs to a bedroom as well.

Wouldn't mind trying that with the adult Hermione!

Lovely hotel, but not the best place to punt re. the key cards to the corridors and TINY reception! But yes, OK if you meet in the bar (great cocktails) or outside. Good sandwich bar, too.

Day use hotels around Kings X are worth it too :)

Ah, yes - gaslights and scantily-clad strumpets lurking in the shadows, but then we would be off topic if we mentioned the wicked past of the Kings Cross area.  Shurely NOT on Punternet! ;)

The wicked past also included the nearest thing to a proper Sex Club , Sun & Steam . .It was a great place .

Look at the number of girls in the lounge . .

The Met police raid on Steam and Sun Health Club in Chalton Street, London, in February 2012

I understand the correct way to disagree with a black cab driver is to tell him to f**k off and die. 

unless he is in a redcab then  you just follow him then point and laugh when he gets out and you see how high he has cowelled his trousers this time