Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Lenovo

30 posts in this topic

Some months ago I bought a used Lenovo PC and it has given me superb service so far, touch wood! The suppliers also have used Lenovo laptops available but I see there is a brand new laptop available from Lenovo, modestly priced. What is the general impression of that manufacturer? Have I been lucky with the one I have? Is there anything of the quality of IBM left in their products? I don't buy much equipment without asking around and the only laptop I have ever bought was for my daughter to take to Uni (for the second time) a few years ago (seven at a guess), and it was a Dell. It has had it's moments and seen the insides of a repairers shop, but it is still functioning. So, that make has to be a possibility too.

I have one, the cheaper end of the scale, its my spare. It freezes up fairly regularly and randomly even when on non download pages so I have to turn it off and on again. I would say no, there isnt much IBM left if the impression I had that IBM was a very reliable product is correct. Its only a couple of months old but tbh I really cant be arsed to take it and get it sent off and sorted or replaced bearing in mind how much I didnt pay for it. I cant see these lasting more than a couple of years before they die the inevitable death windows laptops often do to the point where even when restored they are so slow you may aswell go back to the days of dial up

1 person likes this

You just sold  your house, splash out and treat yourself, get a macbook. They rarely go wrong, the only reason mine has is because Ive dropped it so often I may aswell rename it macbounce x

1 person likes this

Chloe, you have many talents but I am still impressed you know a poster who doesn't mention it has just sold his house.

Do you also know if he has bought one less expensive if you assume he can now afford a Mac?

I like visualising you throwing your Mac to the floor every time I let you down on a proposed meet. If it did bounce, of course, it might suffer less damage.

I look in every cash generator shop at the laptops and only afterwards realise I have absolutely no use for one.

Isn't Lenovo almost the house brand for a big retailer? I sort of got that impression - Argos perhaps?

I don't understand the IBM refs - Lenovo grew out of them (I doubt that) or just a ref to the first company to establish a reputation for quality?

I have a yoga.  its the one yuo can turn inside out so yuo can use the touch screen as a tablet.

touch screen is good.  dont botherb using as a tablet.

works fine.

just its got fucking windows 8 :(

I have a yoga.  its the one yuo can turn inside out so yuo can use the touch screen as a tablet.

works fine.

Has it got a good keyboard, oyryCpnuerttv?

Has it got a good keyboard, oyryCpnuerttv?

yes.  the proper one is quite good.  the pop up touch screen one is too.  but it has a thing where you can write with yuor finger on the screen and it turns that into text.

it is £350 tho..

Sounds advanced actually. I have not long had a mac at work - first time ever. Gratefully, I have been disappointed it is n great advance on a PC so I can use it ok but would prefer a fast PC.

Writing with a finger would be disastrous for me...

Sounds advanced actually. I have not long had a mac at work - first time ever. Gratefully, I have been disappointed it is n great advance on a PC so I can use it ok but would prefer a fast PC.

Writing with a finger would be disastrous for me...

TBH 99.99% of the time I use the physical keyboard.  The good bit is the touch screen rather than pissing around with the mouse pad.

Chloe, you have many talents but I am still impressed you know a poster who doesn't mention it has just sold his house.

Do you also know if he has bought one less expensive if you assume he can now afford a Mac?

I like visualising you throwing your Mac to the floor every time I let you down on a proposed meet. If it did bounce, of course, it might suffer less damage.

I look in every cash generator shop at the laptops and only afterwards realise I have absolutely no use for one.

Isn't Lenovo almost the house brand for a big retailer? I sort of got that impression - Argos perhaps?

I don't understand the IBM refs - Lenovo grew out of them (I doubt that) or just a ref to the first company to establish a reputation for quality?

I only know because he has mentioned it on the forum silly lol of course he may well have bought a more expensive one for all i know, i dont throw my mac, it sort of slips off the sofa occastionally :unsure:

You just sold  your house, splash out and treat yourself, get a macbook. They rarely go wrong, the only reason mine has is because Ive dropped it so often I may aswell rename it macbounce x

Macbounce .. I like that, I've never seriously contemplated a Mac of any variety, pc or laptop, so tell me does it function (from my perspective) in just the same way as a conventional pc, and are there any obvious drawbacks or differences I would need to be aware of? I would not be put off by a few bob price tag, but having got good value, so far, with the Lenovo, I saw no reason to shell out needlessly just for bragging rights sort of thing.

works fine.

Not up to speed on one of those. I'll check it out.

I only know because he has mentioned it on the forum silly lol of course he may well have bought a more expensive one for all i know, i dont throw my mac, it sort of slips off the sofa occastionally :unsure:

I bet that machine could tell a tale or two, and not just the brutality you mete out to it. Slipping off the sofa sounds a lot like a wife beater saying his wife keeps walking into doors. :D x

Macbounce .. I like that, I've never seriously contemplated a Mac of any variety, pc or laptop, so tell me does it function (from my perspective) in just the same way as a conventional pc, and are there any obvious drawbacks or differences I would need to be aware of? I would not be put off by a few bob price tag, but having got good value, so far, with the Lenovo, I saw no reason to shell out needlessly just for bragging rights sort of thing.

with apple stuff you are largely tied into i-tunes for software and stuff.  With windows/android you can install whatever.

and most stuff you can replace bits yourself.  like batteries.  but apple its a apple repair.

they tie you in big time.

Yes, CP, I found that coming very belatedly to an iPod (don't snigger). i never knew anything about the impossibility to replace the battery yourself, its potential for dying and the likelihood a repairer would report back it couldn't be fixed. Really made me realise how Apple operated rather than being wowedfrom a distance by Apple products.

I only use iTunes for the iPod but have transferred all my cassettes and vinyl onto CD (and chucked them before finding people are buying vinyl like it's coming back into fashion - doh).

But I love personal DAB radios. Recent ones have rechargeable batteries but they are mostly expensive (not sold by Maplin) and still can have battery problems but also seem poorly designed so can have reception weakness or are hard to save pre-sets or buttons get pressed in a pocket or wear out or their ID rubs off.

A cheaper one from USA seems to have all these weaknesses but does have an MP3 in it - but don't know how I would get my iTunes library onto it - AH here is why i have gone so far off topic - any way to transfer iTunes onto a non-Apple MP3 player?

Yes, CP, I found that coming very belatedly to an iPod (don't snigger). i never knew anything about the impossibility to replace the battery yourself, its potential for dying and the likelihood a repairer would report back it couldn't be fixed. Really made me realise how Apple operated rather than being wowedfrom a distance by Apple products.

I only use iTunes for the iPod but have transferred all my cassettes and vinyl onto CD (and chucked them before finding people are buying vinyl like it's coming back into fashion - doh).

But I love personal DAB radios. Recent ones have rechargeable batteries but they are mostly expensive (not sold by Maplin) and still can have battery problems but also seem poorly designed so can have reception weakness or are hard to save pre-sets or buttons get pressed in a pocket or wear out or their ID rubs off.

A cheaper one from USA seems to have all these weaknesses but does have an MP3 in it - but don't know how I would get my iTunes library onto it - AH here is why i have gone so far off topic - any way to transfer iTunes onto a non-Apple MP3 player?

where i live DB doesnt work.  A joiner we had working in the kitchen was quite p1ssed off he could not get his to work.

you should see the gubbins in the attic to make TV work here too.

Well you know they dont do that automatic slow down after a few months that windows laptops do. They look bloody awesome. They are super easy to use.

Once you have had it a few weeks you wonder to yourself why the hell it took you so long to get one.

You never get virus warnings, never had one once because of the centralised CPU thingy, the bugs get sucked out of the system at the apple end not the macbook end. You cant get as many computer games for mac but way more than you used to be able to get.

They have apps and systems for everything that are easy to use, downloading something is about as easy as you can get as is uninstalling, often you literally drag an icon to the waste bin and everythign is gone, no fussing finding different packets and uninstall instructions for things. If you get applecare at the time of buying they are amazing customer service.

When somethign does go wrong, such as one macbounce too many they are happy to sit instore with you till the problem is sorted out for as long as it takes.

They fix everything instore hardware wise also so your mac isnt being sent off all over the place. They work out the problem and then fix it, sometimes very quickly. If they can find a manufacturing fault, even a tiny crack, sometimes they dont even charge for parts, just labour lol. It depends on your local mac people.

They are just easier to use, longer lasting, far far better quality, end of.

Yes I know you will also have a high quality laptop if you buy a grands worth of windows laptop but the software its running on is identical to the 199.99 windows laptops and therefore at the mercy of all the same software issues.

Oh yes, and you know when you move your mouse and windows applications pop into effect that minimise and maximise your screen in a very irritating way...doesnt happen with macx

Also you can get your mac partitioned if there are things you prefer to do on windows so you can have half safari half windows

When they bring out an update they bring out any fix packages really fast, i have to admit that i wasnt happy with yosemite as my laptop  started messing about soon after but with hindsight I now realise it wasnty yosemite..it was macbounce build up.

Im sure other mac users will come along with more technical reasons why mac is awesome and windows users will come along with why windows is awesome. With mac you just feel like you really got  your moneys worth every time you use it.

I would take a £1000 macbook over a £4000 windows laptop any day of the week and those bragging rights are only because macs are so good, not because of the price, you can get windows laptops far more high priced than macbooks but they still wont be as good as far as im concerned

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Do you mean music you have in your iplayer library? It depends what format the music in itunes is in, and what your mp3 player will play - but you can just right click and copy a song in itunes and paste it into another folder, or drag it onto the mp3 player itself. Did it only yesterday with an album I'd only just bought on itunes. Also made an audio cd copy of the same album.

Oh yes, if something goes wrong within the first month there is no argument, no "well you have to contact the vendor, ooo we have to send it to see if it can be fixed first" then waiting around for weeks. They say "well we can just give you a new one" and then they will sit and transfer all your stuff from your first one to your new one before you leave the store. They can also clean the hard drive for you prior to you selling your mac so that no one can get into your hard drive and get all you old bank details etc if they are one of those techy clever clogs. I learnt this when I went in and asked if there was a way to get a hard drive wiped 3 weeks after i bought my new one, i was offered a straight swap for a brand new one and when i said no i dont need one they then told me about the hard drive wipe. Im particularly nervous about bank stuff online, i dont do it and stupidly i did when i got my new mac hence the question to them.

With applecare you get as many in store tutorials as you want for free in the first year after you buy it. So, download something, get on the website and book a lesson at your local store, easy peasy. They have set tutorials running all the time anyway for general use with different applications. Cant get that at your local currys superstore.

Oh yes, if something goes wrong within the first month there is no argument, no "well you have to contact the vendor, ooo we have to send it to see if it can be fixed first" then waiting around for weeks. They say "well we can just give you a new one" and then they will sit and transfer all your stuff from your first one to your new one before you leave the store. They can also clean the hard drive for you prior to you selling your mac so that no one can get into your hard drive and get all you old bank details etc if they are one of those techy clever clogs. I learnt this when I went in and asked if there was a way to get a hard drive wiped 3 weeks after i bought my new one, i was offered a straight swap for a brand new one and when i said no i dont need one they then told me about the hard drive wipe. Im particularly nervous about bank stuff online, i dont do it and stupidly i did when i got my new mac hence the question to them.

With applecare you get as many in store tutorials as you want for free in the first year after you buy it. So, download something, get on the website and book a lesson at your local store, easy peasy. They have set tutorials running all the time anyway for general use with different applications. Cant get that at your local currys superstore.

I agree their customer service has been very good. I had a problem with an iphone 4 that went faulty and was a month out if warranty. Took it to the Apple store who replaced the phone - and I didn't even purchase it from them, I bought it in Tescos!

If I'm ever in the market for a new laptop I think I'll give a Mac a try as I've become quite attached to my iphone & ipad. Yes there are certain restrictions compared to Android devices but they do everything I want and have had no issues so far.

Edited by Burty

All in all, Chloe your two posts represent an awesome case for the mac. You will appreciate I am that far back on this subject the Hubble Telescope wouldn't be able to pick me up, so do I take it that when Windows OS gets updated and puts endless machines on the scrap heap you don't get an equivalent problem with a mac? Daft question maybe, but I've apologised beforehand for that ...... :D

with apple stuff you are largely tied into i-tunes for software and stuff.  With windows/android you can install whatever.

and most stuff you can replace bits yourself.  like batteries.  but apple its a apple repair.

they tie you in big time.

Basically these days I only use the comp for the internet and  Word and playing bought CD's. I have some 1m words in the form of novels, some finished and being looked over/revised and some draft/unfinished, stored on my pc and backed up on CD's and a USB device etc via an old version of Word (95). Would that represent a problem? Also if for some reason I did wish to do a few spreadsheets on Excel is there an equivalent, and again would my old, saved stuff travel/transfer?

All in all, Chloe your two posts represent an awesome case for the mac. You will appreciate I am that far back on this subject the Hubble Telescope wouldn't be able to pick me up, so do I take it that when Windows OS gets updated and puts endless machines on the scrap heap you don't get an equivalent problem with a mac? Daft question maybe, but I've apologised beforehand for that ...... :D

I dont know too much technical stuff but the new update apparently coming later this year has these system requirements

OS X 10.11 El Capitan system requirements: Will 10.11 work on my Mac?

Yosemite required 2GB RAM to run and same will apply for its successor. You will also need 8GB of available storage. You will need to be running at least OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, as you will need the Mac App Store in order to download the update before installing (if you are running a verision of OS X that predates Snow Leopard find out how to buy a copy of the Snow Leopard software here.

Like Yosemite, El Capitan can run on the following Macs:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

However if you dont update then its not an issue, Im on Yosemite on my mac but Im pretty sure there are a lot of people who have not updated to that yet or even the one before that. Eventually some apps dont work so well as you can only update to a point before you would have to download the new software to support further updates.

Plus, the updates are free, you dont pay to update  your software but judging from that link up there you do for older versions if you miss updates for too long but at between 14 and 25 pounds they dont break the banks

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Basically these days I only use the comp for the internet and  Word and playing bought CD's. I have some 1m words in the form of novels, some finished and being looked over/revised and some draft/unfinished, stored on my pc and backed up on CD's and a USB device etc via an old version of Word (95). Would that represent a problem? Also if for some reason I did wish to do a few spreadsheets on Excel is there an equivalent, and again would my old, saved stuff travel/transfer?

most software reads all formats these days

but the mantra used to be save word processing docs as .rtf and excel as .csv.   anything should read that.