Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Sounds on my pc

9 posts in this topic

Without any warning the sounds that the pc gives for everything from Start to Shut Down go silent.

I can still play music via the Multimedia facility, but anything such as songs on YouTube and/or football commentary via the Beeb are gone.

I've checked the Master Volume screen and nothing is muted and the same with the Control Panel - Sounds.

There is nothing I can think of that causes this (this being maybe the fourth time it's happened in the past couple of months) certainly I haven't changed anything, and if matters go true to form the sounds will return sometime, but not because of anything I knowingly do!

Any or many ideas?;)

Any or many ideas?;)

This happened to someone I know recently - they cured it by using the System Restore feature to put the PC back into an earlier state.

HTH

It has happened to me but when I restart the PC it seems to correct it'self.

I get voices from my speakers...even when PC is off, some radio station or local cab office, does not get louder if you turn the volume up, sometimes its pilots coming into Gatwick announcing that they are at the 12 mile marker.

Many thanks a couple of things to try and I will, and as for the Gatwick low flyers .... I'd emigrate! Cheers ;)

Gentlemen, being the lazy and non-techie soul that I am, I took Jimmy's advice first ... and I now have sound! This pc must be female, because it's a contrary b****r. Cheers!

Any or many ideas?;)

Does your machine have a Creative Labs XiFi sound card, and are you running either Vista or Windows 7? If so there's a known issue with the CL drivers that can cause this to happen under those two operating systems.

Is there some sort of virus involved in this?

I've just changed to a Mac but my old pc had a lot of virus problems. In addition, possibly connected, I kept getting 'adverts' coming through the speakers often for vauxhall cars and one that rolf harris was involved in!

Without any warning the sounds that the pc gives for everything from Start to Shut Down go silent.

I can still play music via the Multimedia facility, but anything such as songs on YouTube and/or football commentary via the Beeb are gone.

I've checked the Master Volume screen and nothing is muted and the same with the Control Panel - Sounds.

There is nothing I can think of that causes this (this being maybe the fourth time it's happened in the past couple of months) certainly I haven't changed anything, and if matters go true to form the sounds will return sometime, but not because of anything I knowingly do!

Any or many ideas?:rolleyes:

I experienced that, also.

I had to find the sites that were connected to the sounds and deleted - then the sounds stopped totally.