Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
French Belle

Same Sex Marriage Allowed In The Us : Thumb Up !

11 posts in this topic

Hello :)

Now that's a small step for a man an a huge step for mankind. The US, despite being VERY conservative on some points, did allow same sex marriage, and I just wish they will be followed by many other countries. Mr Cameron, European leaders, anyone ? :P

Now that's a small step for a man an a huge step for mankind. The US, despite being VERY conservative on some points, did allow same sex marriage, and I just wish they will be followed by many other countries. Mr Cameron, European leaders, anyone ? :P

keep up.  they passed a law in England to allow this a few years ago.

They had to fudge the law on consummation, and scrap the etymology of Marriage (it comes from mother and maternal) but they pushed it through with no mandate as it wasn't in a manifesto.

2 people like this

Same sex marriage was legalised in the UK last year!

Great to see the US follow, but there is still a long long way to go in the US to change attitudes towards gay people. Obama came under some very strong criticism for yesterday's victory. There are still many people in the US who hold very senior public positions who continue to air very worrying views on the subject.

1 person likes this

Phew YES indeed this was allowed in the UK already. It was in France too. But how long does it take to make it effective and change mentalities ? THAT is the question. Though, a great victory :)

I think its only the overyly religious who even care who marries who nowadays, the mentality is live and let live nowadays more than ever, as Ireland just proved very succinctly

I think its only the overyly religious who even care who marries who nowadays, the mentality is live and let live nowadays more than ever, as Ireland just proved very succinctly

i am an athiest

I dont mind gay people getting together

I supported civil partmerships

but marriage is between man and woman.  Its in the word.

and they had to frig the law to get round the consummation thing.

Whatever you think about gay marriage itself, I don't see how anyone can approve the way it has been legalized in America. Once again the Supreme Court taking major decisions and none of the populace allowed to have a say.

This is exactly what happened with abortion in the famous Roe v Wade case, and is probably the reason why abortion remains such a festering issue in the US. Because, cut it how you like, it was what feminists would normally describe as nine old white men deciding how it was going to be for everyone else. And many progressive jurists there, such as Alan Dershowitz have great reservations about that judgement.

I agree with Cov that doing things in such an underhand way as the last government did was not a good move. The Irish seem to have got it right (now there's something I never thought I'd find myself saying!) Give the people a say through a referendum and then you have an obvious mandate. Because however good you think the cause of gay marriage is, the way America has legalized it is just a steaming pile of horse-shit.

i am an athiest

I dont mind gay people getting together

I supported civil partmerships

but marriage is between man and woman.  Its in the word.

and they had to frig the law to get round the consummation thing.

To be honest it doesnt bother me. Marraige as it is today was based upon christianity (and the laws surrounding it) which is yet another false god religion. Why are you bothered that they have changed something that stems from something false in the first place. All that is going to happen is that gay people will now find out that its not such a bed of roses. Awaiting with interest what the divorce rate amongst gay people is a decade from now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164783/One-gay-couples-married-New-York-set-to-divorced.html

Edited by Chloe Kisses
1 person likes this

I am not in the slightest bit religious - imo religion causes more trouble than its worth.

Having said that, I am a firm believer that marriage can only be between a man and a woman - imo 2 men cannot be married, two women cannot be married anymore than, for example, two butterflies  or two voles can be married.

Homosexuals and lesbians (I refuse to use the term "gay") have, in this country, had the option to enter into a civil partnership and that, as far as I'm concerned, should be sufficient. To allow them to "marry" is yet another example of government pandering to minorities for no good reason. 

Looks like not everyone subscribes to the live and let live ethos:

Whatever you think about gay marriage itself, I don't see how anyone can approve the way it has been legalized in America. Once again the Supreme Court taking major decisions and none of the populace allowed to have a say.

This is exactly what happened with abortion in the famous Roe v Wade case, and is probably the reason why abortion remains such a festering issue in the US. Because, cut it how you like, it was what feminists would normally describe as nine old white men deciding how it was going to be for everyone else. And many progressive jurists there, such as Alan Dershowitz have great reservations about that judgement.

I agree with Cov that doing things in such an underhand way as the last government did was not a good move. The Irish seem to have got it right (now there's something I never thought I'd find myself saying!) Give the people a say through a referendum and then you have an obvious mandate. Because however good you think the cause of gay marriage is, the way America has legalized it is just a steaming pile of horse-shit.

To be fair,when it comes to the USA sometimes thats a good thing otherwise things never get changed http://www.allthingscrimeblog.com/2013/07/16/bestiality-is-legal-in-the-same-states-that-ban-same-sex-marriage/