Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starman

Jimmy Carter's Moral Crusade

9 posts in this topic

He always was an expert on nuts : he's merely switched from growing them to influencing them.

Dear God, not him again! Did America ever sink so low in international esteem as during his presidency?

Does he explain how "all forms of commercial sexual exploitation are a profound violation of fundamental human rights." if the relationship is between consenting adults?

Dear God, not him again! Did America ever sink so low in international esteem as during his presidency?

Probably the worst US president in modern times. 

1 person likes this

And he is still banging the Nordic model drum in yesterday's Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/to-curb-prostitution-punish-those-who-buy-sex-rather-than-those-who-sell-it/2016/05/31/e0376adc-236d-11e6-aa84-42391ba52c91_story.html

A couple of quotes from his article:

....when one party has power over another to demand sexual access, mutuality is extinguished, and the act becomes an expression of domination. As author and prostitution survivor Rachel Moran explained in her book, “Paid For,” once money has exchanged hands, a woman must deliver whatever service the customer demands.

This is simply not true when we are talking about mutually agreed consensual transactions. I believe it is much more likely and more often true where sex work is driven underground by the introduction of legislation advocated by Mr Carter.

Sex trade survivors......compare their movement to the abolition of slavery, an institution that once also seemed like a permanent fixture in society.

Someone should point out to Mr Carter that we abolished slavery by making slavery illegal, not by making cotton picking illegal.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Carnival said:

And he is still banging the Nordic model drum in yesterday's Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/to-curb-prostitution-punish-those-who-buy-sex-rather-than-those-who-sell-it/2016/05/31/e0376adc-236d-11e6-aa84-42391ba52c91_story.html

A couple of quotes from his article:

....when one party has power over another to demand sexual access, mutuality is extinguished, and the act becomes an expression of domination. As author and prostitution survivor Rachel Moran explained in her book, “Paid For,” once money has exchanged hands, a woman must deliver whatever service the customer demands.

This is simply not true when we are talking about mutually agreed consensual transactions. I believe it is much more likely and more often true where sex work is driven underground by the introduction of legislation advocated by Mr Carter.

Sex trade survivors......compare their movement to the abolition of slavery, an institution that once also seemed like a permanent fixture in society.

Someone should point out to Mr Carter that we abolished slavery by making slavery illegal, not by making cotton picking illegal.

It should also be pointed out to him that slavery still exists in the world.  Like prostitution it probably always will, it's only the scale that changes.

24 minutes ago, robert49 said:

It should also be pointed out to him that slavery still exists in the world.  Like prostitution it probably always will, it's only the scale that changes.

I hope nevertheless that we have a consensus within this forum that slavery is a bad thing and it would be good if it were completely eliminated. So in that respect it is definitely NOT like prostitution.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Carnival said:

I hope nevertheless that we have a consensus within this forum that slavery is a bad thing and it would be good if it were completely eliminated. So in that respect it is definitely NOT like prostitution.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that sentiment.  I was just stating a sad fact. 

N.B.  I'm not saying prostitution is a sad fact.  Phew!

Edited by robert49
Confusion