Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colonel Bonkers

In today's Telegraph

8 posts in this topic

refreshing article.

kudos to torygraph.

(I normally only read it for the alex cartoon)

refreshing article.

kudos to torygraph.

(I normally only read it for the alex cartoon)

They go badly wrong in the first paragraph, which is as far as I read. Since when has prostitution been a low-paid job?

They go badly wrong in the first paragraph, which is as far as I read. Since when has prostitution been a low-paid job?

Oops, wrong thread, that was the Economist I was talking about, not the Telegraph. The Telegraph piece was quite sensible.

Maybe for those you see it is well paid, but for many it is what keeps the wolf from the door, and is not that particularily well paid. I know many who work in small brothels who might only get 2-3 clients a day if they are lucky, and walk away with less than £100.

I used the taxi analogy elsewhere, it applies to much of the sex industry.

My taxi firm charges me £33 for the airport run -24miles. They are not allowed to pick outside their area so best time for the job is 1 hour put in diesel, insurance, and all the unit costs, it's not a great hourly rate.

Likewise factor in the costs to an agency girl - agency cut, either travel time or payment for use of the agency flat. For most women I reckon it beats shopwork etc. and has the advantage in flexi hours. But only the full time indies with the nouse & nerve to really piss- off JRC make big bucks.

Maybe for those you see it is well paid, but for many it is what keeps the wolf from the door, and is not that particularily well paid. I know many who work in small brothels who might only get 2-3 clients a day if they are lucky, and walk away with less than £100.

Very very true, as a worker and parlour boss this can happen often but the general public think we all earn a fortune. My small business brings me in just around a good wage after overheads and paying my personal pimp ... the Inland Revenue.

Very very true, as a worker and parlour boss this can happen often but the general public think we all earn a fortune.

Wait a minute, the general public can't have it both ways. Either the general public thinks you're all exploited slaves, or they think you're living the life of Angie Reilly. Which is it? (Because if the general public really does think the first of the two, then Jacqui Smith's arguments will be falling on deaf ears indeed.)