Carnival

A Very British Brothel - Documentary On Channel 4 Tonight

140 posts in this topic

A potentially interesting programme at 10pm tonight on Channel 4.

A Very British Brothel

Documentary charting the day-to-day workings of a Sheffield massage parlour run by a mother and daughter, revealing the struggle to fill the daily rota and how management deal with problem clients. The programme also explores the lives of the women who advertise their services and for whom sex is just a job.

Radio Times

Review by: Jane Rackham

City Sauna on Sheffield’s “Golden Mile of Sex” is probably not how you imagine a brothel. Run by mumsy Kath and her daughter Jenni, it’s friendly, scruffy and the regulars often pop in for a cuppa rather than a bit of the other.

It’s illegal to profit from sexual activity on the premises, so Kath charges a door fee and says what goes on upstairs is up to the ladies. The girls are often single mums just trying to make a living safely – a far cry from the drug-addicted streetwalkers. The punters aren’t all stereotypical “perverts in a dirty mac”, either – just ordinary blokes, often in flat caps and cardies. Eye-opening.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads-up. Just what I need when I "shut the shop" this evening - Thai Curry delivery, glass of wine, put my feet up and watch.

3 people like this

Is there a hope in hell it will be edited NOT to appear stereotypical and grubby.

Soon find out.

Nice touch..... "it is illegal to profit from sexual activity on the premises" etc

but she is though ........ she is profiting full stop and it is because the girls are whoring... she is not profiting from handing out cups of tea.....

anyway.... jumping the gun a bit here.... let's see....

Is there a hope in hell it will be edited NOT to appear stereotypical and grubby.

Soon find out.

Nice touch..... "it is illegal to profit from sexual activity on the premises" etc

but she is though ........ she is profiting full stop and it is because the girls are whoring... she is not profiting from handing out cups of tea.....

anyway.... jumping the gun a bit here.... let's see....

Techinaclly wouldnt this just count as tea and crumpet?

Hm, first commercial break, and I'm going back to Bloodline on Netflix  

First commercial break, and the poor woman who owns the place has already hanged herself several times over if the local plod want to do anything. As their main police station is in Letsby Avenue, they probably do,

First commercial break, and the poor woman who owns the place has already hanged herself several times over if the local plod want to do anything. As their main police station is in Letsby Avenue, they probably do,

Yup, if the police don't do anything about it, they'll have to explain why they're not enforcing the law. She has voluntarily provided the evidence herself. Did she not speak to a lawyer before agreeing to go on the TV? All for her 15 minutes of fame?

Just spotted the Scampi Fries on the wall behind reception - class!

I have seen and heard a few things about Sheffield which gave me the impression that the authorities in that area are tolerant so long as brothels don't list services and operate in a cooperative way. I would also guess that the police are well aware of the brothels on their patch.

I could be wrong.

Now I know why I decided to steer clear of local massage places!  At least it made a change from street walkers and pimps.

I guess the problem will now be that having drawn attention to herself publicly there will be individuals  and groups who use it to demand the police take action.  If the police and local authority have a policy of "let sleeping dogs lie" it will blow over but in the meantime there could be casualties.

It looks a lot better on the website as would be expected.  Nikki has her work cut out at the weekend though.  :)

Was that George McCoy making a cameo appearance?

Well ladies, would you find being called a Gorgon flattering?

Just Don't turn me to stone for asking  :unsure:

I have seen and heard a few things about Sheffield which gave me the impression that the authorities in that area are tolerant so long as brothels don't list services and operate in a cooperative way. I would also guess that the police are well aware of the brothels on their patch.

I could be wrong.

Yeah, I think South Yorkshire Police are aware and are way more tolerant than the Gestapo (sorry Northumbria police) in my neck of the woods.....

I could be wrong.

I  am sure that you are right--if they are not aware, it says little for the investigative skills or even their routine observation, as the place is obvious, and the owner and others were pretty forthright about what goes on.

But, South Yorkshire Police have come under a load of recent pressure with the Hillsborough disaster being analysed in detail for the first time, at the same time that the Rotherham child corruption scandal has blown up in their faces. They must be feeling very bruised and battered at the moment, and not without good reason.

Surely, they will be very sensitive to another public outcry, whetever their personal feelings of letting sleeping dogs lie. If the local press or enough of the population in the area start making noises, they will react, if only to avoid further criticism of inactivity. Further bashing in the media is something they will be at pains to avoid.

South Yorkshire Police also have a progressive stance on prostitution. I heard one of their chief officers speak at the UKNSWP conference back in March this year.

Their approach is that so long as it's carried out in a quiet manner without causing a nuisance, and with a two way flow of information then they tolerate it. Result has been higher crime clear up and improved safety for all concerned.

Edited by Strawberry
1 person likes this

There is also a well known brothel in Sheffield who are opening up a second branch in Bury very soon. I am sure the police know all about them, and for whatever reason are deciding not to close them down.

I bow to your superior knowledge, Strawberry.

Despite the vigorous hoovering and scouring that went on I still thought the whole place looked a bit grimy.......

The producers sneaked a little one in with the lady choosing sheets (not black ones cos they show the maaaaaarks).  Did we really need to see that?

Overweight women sitting around and spilling out of outfits 3 sizes too small while scoffing takeaways (sure that would make the place whiff) was not a good look......

I was getting used to it all and it wasn't the worst programme of it's kind................. until Mr Flat Cap slinked in...... George McCoy ... will someone set up a trip wire for that man please!

The owner seemed a decent woman.... so down to earth she must have had mud on her shoes..... and while I can understand that employment in Sheffield may be hard to find but training your daughter to run a brothel just does not sit well with me............ and it is not the first time I have seen a mother/daughter involvement in the sex industry..... 

The young man who was their regular and who openly talked to the camera was a brave man..... obviously not in the least ashamed but I do wonder how he is coping in his private life with his mates and family aware of his activities.

Did I hear correctly ..... despite the owner saying she only takes a door fee and the rest is between the girls and guys.... I am sure I also heard she takes a commission too......

Whatever people frown on or shake their heads at..... an establishment like this keeps the girls safe and that is paramount..... and I have always believed that the only reason the laws are not changed is because brothels and saunas would be opening in every high street in every town.

The biggest surprise of it all though was when LauraLee walked in.  I see no one else is daring to bring this one up...... so I will...

Why Laura.... why?!!!!

1 person likes this

I see that the programme is being repeated tonight at 10:50 pm (or 11:50 pm on Channel 4 + 1).

Was that George McCoy making a cameo appearance?

I thought it might be him, as he also made an appearance in another documentary last year.  Maybe he is the link connecting everything up there.

1 person likes this

"Like a tramp on chips" :D well i HAVE to watch the rest after a start like that :D :D

Certainly no eye opener, but I can't see this doc doing that place, or any of the ladies, any favours. Of course the PoPo know about these places. I used to visit a parlour near where I live, with the local nick on the opposite side of the road. Blind eye for peace n quiet, plus a bit of r&r for the offbeat bobbies on lunch break :)

That place looks proper grimy! Enough to put me off my cocopops! lol

:lol:

Well, if the powers-that-be want to discourage prostitution, this programme will have helped hugely. If I was thinking about partaking for my first time, I wouldn't bother if I thought this "parlour" was the reality.

Certainly no eye opener, but I can't see this doc doing that place, or any of the ladies, any favours. Of course the PoPo know about these places. I used to visit a parlour near where I live, with the local nick on the opposite side of the road. Blind eye for peace n quiet, plus a bit of r&r for the offbeat bobbies on lunch break :)

That place looks proper grimy! Enough to put me off my cocopops! lol

:lol:

Okay I  have just finished watching it and I have to say that I totally disagree.

Regarding the waiting room, its just a normal room, its not sleezy or grimey and I have yet to meet one thats of a higher standard. Girls rooms tend to just have a few sofas and a coffee table, sometimes a tv, mostly no tv. Its perfectly average and normal. That she has provided a separate changing room is good, often the rooms the girls sit in are festoone with bags and suitcases, make up piles or bags here and there, you name it, its lying around.

What shone through though was the down to earth and hands on approach that the owner has, I imagine that it has a LOT of regulars simply because the owner is right there. They dont put up with girls being treated badly and I have yet to see anyone who runs a brothel get flowers for mothers day which I would say is a huge testement to how she treats the girls who work for her. I imagine that she is probably going to get quite a few girls who work in that area applying to work there when the furore over the show has calmed down as its a well run, professional but also friendly and "normal"  place.

Yes the bedroom doors need a lick of paint and a few of the walls but have you ever taken an actual close look at the walls and doors when visiting a brothel, they always have scuffs from shoes, make up marks and general wear and tear on them, they see a lot of traffic so its natural.

I dont understand why someone is saying Laura shouldnt be there ,looks like a perfectly normal but unusually friendly and welcoming brothel to me. Ive worked in some where the bitchy atmosphere is horrific and met many other girls who have too, Ive even met girls who have had broken glass put in their slippers, their belongings stolen etc, Ive had things stolen myself on a good few occasions and been told that nothing can be done about it.

Edited by Chloe Kisses
2 people like this