Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smudge

Istanbul

6 posts in this topic

Any knowledge or suggestions for Istanbul please.

Thanks

Don't know about the WG, if any (Muslim country), but be careful! 

I've been there a couple of times and the last time there was an attempt to scam me in a bar/nightclub a "friendly" local took me took me to - a common occurrence, apparently. A couple of heavies in the manager's office were there to intimidate me into paying a couple hundred dollars bar bill, I acted like I knew the Iranian ambassador to Istanbul, seemed to work and they let me go. 

Don't know about the WG, if any (Muslim country), but be careful! 

I've been there a couple of times and the last time there was an attempt to scam me in a bar/nightclub a "friendly" local took me took me to - a common occurrence, apparently. A couple of heavies in the manager's office were there to intimidate me into paying a couple hundred dollars bar bill, I acted like I knew the Iranian ambassador to Istanbul, seemed to work and they let me go. 

The " Iranian ambassador to istanbul " ???   And it worked with the 2 heavies ..

They could'v called the Ambassador of The Islamic Republic of Iran who is based in  the capital Ankara to find out ,But i guess that's why they are  heavy . . 

:lol: I would've  acted like i knew The Turkish Ambassador to Istanbul ..

Good point about Ankara being the capital. A decade ago now, but I prob just said the Iranian ambassador. Who knows what actually worked? I also started yelling "police!" very loudly in their small office. May have been they just got tired of me & wanted to move on.

Good point about Ankara being the capital. A decade ago now, but I prob just said the Iranian ambassador. Who knows what actually worked? I also started yelling "police!" very loudly in their small office. May have been they just got tired of me & wanted to move on.

Not doubting your experience , But i still don't understand what made you say "the Iranian ambassador "  in a Turkish Club ???

I can understand  it if yelling Police made them back off..

.http://guide.istanbulplace.com/2009/11/12/capital-of-turkey-istanbul/                      "  Many people would say Istanbul to this question but no; it is Ankara.

Istanbul was the last capital of the Ottoman Empire but when Turkey became a republic in 1923, Ankara, which had previously been just a small village, became capital."