JKay

The Move To Fibre..

15 posts in this topic

Now completed my first week with BT infinity.

The only problem was that they changed the change over date only to decide to revert back to the old date and not tell me so had a few off line hours before the penny dropped and was able to get online.

What's it like? surprisingly the jump from 10.5 to infinity's 38 speed is not that much faster for surfing to be honest I was expecting the jump something like the speed shock everyone had when we moved away from dial-up,  so far the only downloading I have done is the upgrade to Windows 10 and that took just under 30 minutes, having never done that before I am assuming that's speedy.

Problems setting up?

Easy really but a bit confusing as the manual does not mention a wired set up, only wireless, so a bit of guess work to find the correct socket to use.

1 person likes this

Better than building your own 4G mast in the garden then ?

:D

Isnt all this fibre stuff going to be obsolete soon for many.

I know people with 4g who dont have any fixed line broadband and do everything via tethering.

that's fine if you have 4G, at home 3G is just about usable and to get reliable phone use the smartphone has to be set to steam driven 2G

Isnt all this fibre stuff going to be obsolete soon for many.
I know people with 4g who dont have any fixed line broadband and do everything via tethering.

1 person likes this

Indeed, I think instead of expensive digging, pipe and fibre laying - the gov should invest in a robust 4-5G upgradable wireless network infrastructure instead.

Only thing is, most farmers and country folk detest 'ugly' masts ruining their views and most might oppose it - but much to the deficiency of their own communications network!

Harrumph! I wish that we could dig gurt great ducts everywhere, shared by all services (yes, with protection on the electromag side) and get rid of masts, pylons, overhead phone lines......

And the total chaos caused by all the roadworks would be wonderful for the gentling down of the speed of life.

:P

1 person likes this

The only problem was that they changed the change over date only to decide to revert back to the old date and not tell me so had a few off line hours before the penny dropped and was able to get online.

What's it like? surprisingly the jump from 10.5 to infinity's 38 speed is not that much faster for surfing to be honest I was expecting the jump something like the speed shock everyone had when we moved away from dial-up,  so far the only downloading I have done is the upgrade to Windows 10 and that took just under 30 minutes, having never done that before I am assuming that's speedy.

Problems setting up?

Easy really but a bit confusing as the manual does not mention a wired set up, only wireless, so a bit of guess work to find the correct socket to use.

Additional bandwidth from 10Mbps to 38Mbps has little discernible effect in terms of decreased response times in routine internet use because of server end effects and the way that networking works from a technical perspective. (It's called TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) and is there to ensure that all of the data that was supposed to have been sent was successfully received.) Where you will see an impact is there will be little slowdown if multiple users use the bandwidth at the same time, notably if someone is streaming video, and if you download large files simultaneously.

Problems setting up?

I upgraded 3 years ago and had pretty much the same experience, no earth shattering lightening bolt. A few months in the drop outs started and continued despite me spending a lot of time, effort and several engineer visits trying to work out what the problem was.

that's fine if you have 4G, at home 3G is just about usable and to get reliable phone use the smartphone has to be set to steam driven 2G

I was also in the same situation - I am fed up of ads for 4G. Some areas simply want decent 3G, others still have zero signal. Whilst some people assume I am in the back of beyond, I am talking about decent sized towns, not far from major transport routes. In fact the more remote, smaller town I moved to has a much better, more reliable signal than where I was previously based (which was a town 3 times the size and much more important). Go outside the town and there is intermittent coverage, go back to the larger town and I'm lucky if emails filter through in 4 hours.

The network UK wide is really patchy and no, people in areas without fast broadband often cannot get any form of internet access. I used to have a mobile phone signal booster, that relied on broadband so guess what happened with the drop outs and woa be tide if there was a broadband fault.

About time the UK sorted itself out. Excuses about hills and remoteness do not wash when other far bigger, less developed countries can manage it.

1 person likes this

When you upgrade you don't feel the difference in Web browsing but you will on downloades. Phone updates. Streaming etc

1 person likes this

I wish I stayed with ordinary BT broadband as my service is rapidly falling apart, The BT home page is taking ages to load and the sodding adverts are driving me nuts. I'm now getting problems at night between 10 and 11pm, connection drops out and diagnostics report that bla bla bla needs to be reset network adapter.....

not sure whats going on but when I try and book say a hotel or Use the Modding features on PN using IE I cant use certain buttons so have to use Crome

I'm getting the same drop-out problems at about the same time of night, sir, and because of BT's adverts I have No-script on Firefox. However, the home page (or email log-in page, rather) has been very slow over the last several days, with 'we are experiencing difficulties...' instead of mails. I reckon that BT never managed to sort itself when it broke from Yahoo, and certainly loaded up the system with stuff I certainly don't want, like sports, celeb and other news...

The slow loading of the BT home page is still pain. The issues I was having with buttons not working, impossible to save a favourite page or use buttonds on AW has been solved by Dumping Kaspersky Security. Now on Panda and all if fine.

I'm still getting messages about low memory and it wants to close applications, run all the diagnostics and shows no problems with RAM or HD, beginging to think it may be the graphics card running out of steam.

I got the same lack of extra speed a few weeks ago when changing and the same lack of info on wired set up. 

I was always told wired is 'obviously' more reliable than wifi, just more cumbersome.

I get a no internet connection page most times I switch on but the hub is blue and fine by then.

I thought I heard today that the next thing is wifi availaibility running under the streets. Which century?

Sorry to hear you have very similar problems. Even after my move from the property of constant, throughout the day drop outs at the new address I still have at least 2 each day.

I have encountered 4G on my travels which is brilliant, however many areas local to me do not even have any mobile service, others only 2G with a trickle of 3G. Some of these areas are raising the £100k required to get fast broadband to their landlines.

I have also dumped CCleaner, things are running smoother, so far no low memory messages or video buffering.