elrond

Fighting fund to campaign again the change in law.

16 posts in this topic

We need a more coordinated approach to fight this legislation. We need it led and in the media. The IUSW has been successful recently in appearing in the media, and having their letters written.

I really believe that they should be leading this campaign. For them to do that, they will need money, and I expect they will need lots of money. I propose that we should start funding them. Maybe just the cost of one punt. I am waiting details from them on where to send donations to.

I spoke to a member of the IUSW yesterday. Though they are affiliated with the GMB union they get no money from them. Presently any campaigning done by the union is out of their own pockets. Catherine Stephens etc have to pay her own way.

Presently they don't even have the money to pay for producing a fact sheet to give to all members of parliament.

There was much interesting information I got from them, and yes there is alot of behind the scenes work going on which I don't want to mention here. I will though iterate a comment made on PN, because I also heard it from the IUSW.

The proposed law is a start. It will constantly be reviewed, with the final intention of bringing in a total ban on Commercial Sex when the country is ready for that.

I have already heard that there are proposals to cut off the phone lines of agencies and brothels which could be brought in after the new law has taken affect.

When I get details of how and where to make donations, then I will publish them on here.

Cheques need to be made out to 'GMB London Entertainment & IUSW Branch ' and sent to

IUSW

c/o Membership GMB

Thorne House

152 Brent Street

London

United Kingdom

NW4 2DP

hm, makeing bad-taste joke here ....

Now we are really getting shagged:

We are now asked to donate money to WGs without even being meeting them for-real.

And what about anonymity?

I prefer to just keep seeing Ladies.

But seriously :

I do wish them Well!

Good Luck Girls.

Hi Elrond

How are you?

This is a good idea.

Maybe IUSW could set up a moneybookers or Paypal account so that supporters who want to to remain anonymous could still contribute. Also, if that's mentioned in the press, it's possible that non-punters and non-WGs might also contribute so it wouldn't be taken for granted that a donation is evidence of any strumpeteering.

Thanks that is an excellant idea, and one I was going to suggest to them. I have also asked about charity status. This government should pay for their campaign.

Michaeal I am fine thanks. Still never made it down to London, its so near but yet so far.

An excellent idea. I'd like to donate to the cause. However if I was traced I would lose my job. Please post details of any method of anonymous donations.

You can pay cash over the counter at any Branch of the same bank as the account is held at - that's ideal for preserving anonymity. I think the suggestion that we donate at least the equivalent of one punt is an excellent one.

The IUSW would like to thank everyone for their offers of help and we will be posting details of the best and most discreet way of doing that.

We do need your support if we are to campaign effectively for our rights as sex workers and of course the rights of adults to engage in consensual activities.

If anyone would like to ask any questions re how they can join the IUSW or anything else related to IUSW activities please just ask.

Also if anyone has any ideas they wish to discuss or if they would be happy for an IUSW representative to meet them (especially if you are an agency/brothel) please let us know.

I will be posting contact details very soon or you can go to the web site:

http://www.iusw.org/

Regards

Douglas

While we are waiting for a new campaign account to be opened many people have asked about joining the IUSW and what is on the card and about annonymity.

Agents and brothel owners can be the contact for the people they represent.

The GMB membership card is a plain cc card white card with the GMB address on, the name of the person (could be working name) membership no and branch which says London Entertainment and IUSW branch (in very small letters) and then Employer simply says Direct debit various.

So it is very very discreet. The girls can join by the agent if they wish paying either their DD for them or ideally the £71.76 (If they work less than 20 hours per week)and obviously collecting the money from them. The cards etc can be sent to the agents address and the contact can be your No or email if they wish. There are a growing No of discounts specifically aimed at sex workers so it is well worth the membership.

Membership gives sex workers access to free legal advice should anything go wrong and waving their membership of one of the largest unions in the country is good for all sorts of political reasons particularly at the moment.

The IUSW is the campaigning branch and we are presently in the process of opening a separate account for donations and DD to the campaign fund. I will be contacting everyone very soon because we need monies to campaign especially over the next four or five months to fight the present government proposals re clients and closure of brothels.

Any problems give me a call, Would also be more than happy to talk to the girls as an IUSW representative if that would help.

Douglas

07971 158593

The second reading of the new bill is now on MONDAY THE 12TH.

We must get as many MPs as is possible to speak out against the governments proposals.

This is a draft letter from the IUSW.

Please will everyone concerned with this industry send this to your MP. If you need help finding out who your local MP is IM me and I will give you details.

Clients can of course change the begining to somehting appropriate such as concerned member of the public.

This is urgent please do this asap.

I am writing to you as a resident of your constituency who is (a concerned member of the public)involved in the sex industry. The Policing and Crime Bill, that has its second reading on 12 January, contains proposals which will make people in the sex industry less safe and increase our social exclusion. The proposals make it more likely that street sex workers will be forced to work in greater isolation and as a consequence be hurt and killed, and less likely that victims of trafficking will come to the attention of the police. The proposals directly play into the hands of exploitative and violent criminals and traffickers by decreasing the ways to work safely and making sex workers less likely to call the police if they are the victims of crime and abuse.

The Home Office has failed to consult with sex workers' organisations during the preparation of legislation (neither the International Union of Sex Workers or the English Collective of Prostitutes are considered to be stakeholders on this issue according to the Home Office report on Tackling the Demand for Prostitution of November 2008; neither is the Network of Sex Work Projects which provides frontline health and support services to people in the sex industry through 63 projects across the ).

In addition, the proposals completely ignore an enormous range of academic research which shows that increased criminalisation has a negative effect: we need evidence based policy to create effective change and protect the vulnerable. The magnitude of the Home Office's misinterpretation of evidence is shown in the Regulatory Impact Assessments associated with the Bill, which state that Pentameter 2 (a nationwide police operation) identified 800 brothels containing trafficked women. In fact, the police's own figures for Pentameter 2 show raids on 822 premises located 250 victims of trafficking: the Home Office has confused the number of premises raided with the number of actual victims found.

I ask you to condemn these proposals during the second reading debate, and call for policy on the sex industry to treat our safety and human rights as the highest priority. This can only be achieved by meaningful consultation with those most effected: we are the experts in our own lives.

I look forward to hearing from you.

It might be worth including the conviction figures for trafficking for sexual exploitation, and the fact that they have fallen for the last three years.

Dominic Grieve asked the Secretary of State for the Home Department how many (a) arrests and (:D convictions there were for human trafficking offences in each of the last five years.

Jacqui Smith replied on 19 November 2008 with:

A total of 860 people were arrested under the Operations Pentameter 1 and 2.

Since the commencement of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 (which came into force on 1 May 2004) to date, there have been 90 convictions.

2004 3

2005 21

2006 32

2007 23

2008 11

It might be worth including the conviction figures for trafficking for sexual exploitation, and the fact that they have fallen for the last three years.

I missed off another possible point for inclusion.

The use of the word trafficking by those pushing for this legislation can mislead.

"Trafficking" doesn't necessarily mean "against their will"

I'm sure many an MP has already contributed to "the industry" over the years.

Perhaps we could cut through the hypocrisy surrounding punting by getting girls to donate a percentage of their pocket money from our Right Honourables - you know, so they actually pay for talking so much hot air.

I'm not wonderfully up to speed on this issue, but did notice the paper about the Westminster Initiative (?) when it came out. Now I also notice in the Soho Walk-Ups thread that they have finally got round to cracking down - absolutely right Douglas IUSW,

"The proposals directly play into the hands of exploitative and violent criminals and traffickers by decreasing the ways to work safely ". Look what happened in the US during Prohibition.

Re ptrleeds, realise your gentle flippancy, ("Now we are really getting shagged:

We are now asked to donate money to WGs without even being meeting them for-real"), but do you want the Walk-Up Scene which brings such joy to so many PNers to disappear into the swamp?

If the RAF paid a woman to train as a stripper,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1489640/RAF-pays-woman-to-train-as-stripper.html

the government should pay to make us all, clients, WGs and the merry inhabitants of red-light areas safer, not more dangerous.

I agree but we had to draft this letter quickly and it is always difficult to get every point in.

Feel free to add your own comments. The more personal the letter probably the better.

Douglas

Please note there is a slight error in the last line of the letter to MPs. It should read affected not effected. I am not sure I can edit once my post is on so please note this little mistake when you use the letter.

Many thanks

Douglas

My tuppence. Good luck Douglas....

-----------------------------------------------

I am writing to you as a resident of your constituency who is (a concerned member of the public)involved in the sex industry. The Policing and Crime Bill, that has its second reading on 12 January, contains proposals which will make people in the sex industry less safe and increase our social exclusion. The proposals make it more likely that street sex workers will be forced to work in greater isolation and as a consequence be hurt and killed, and less likely that victims of trafficking will come to the attention of the police. The proposals directly play into the hands of exploitative and violent criminals and traffickers by decreasing the ways to work safely and making sex workers less likely to call the police if they are the victims of crime and abuse.

The Home Office has failed to consult with sex workers' organisations during the preparation of legislation (neither the International Union of Sex Workers or the English Collective of Prostitutes are considered to be stakeholders on this issue according to the Home Office report on Tackling the Demand for Prostitution of November 2008; neither is the Network of Sex Work Projects which provides frontline health and support services to people in the sex industry through 63 projects across the UK?

In addition, the proposals completely ignore an enormous range of academic research which shows that increased criminalisation has a negative effect: we need evidence based policy to create effective change and protect the vulnerable. The magnitude of the Home Office's misinterpretation of evidence is shown in the Regulatory Impact Assessments associated with the Bill, which state that Pentameter 2 (a nationwide police operation) identified 800 brothels containing trafficked women. In fact, the police's own figures for Pentameter 2 show raids on 822 premises located 250 victims of trafficking: the Home Office has confused the number of premises raided with the number of actual victims found.

With so much hidden from view within the industry, it is vital that workers be consulted prior to any implementation of new legislation. A coordinated strategy on prostitution is the only way to protect its workers and keep the neighbourhoods containing them safe. Even the Partial Regulatory Impact Assesment states that as many as 75% of women were under 18 when coerced into street based prostitution, as many as 95% coerced by drug use.

This data from Swann and Balding was published in 1995 about street prostitution only. This takes no account of agency workers, or the fact that the desire for anonymity and distrust of authorities leave many sex workers unwilling to consult the authorities unless they are desperate and abused. A proper consultation is paramount, as is the building of trust amongst the community.

I ask you to condemn these proposals during the second reading debate, and call for policy on the sex industry to treat our safety and human rights as the highest priority. This can only be achieved by meaningful consultation with those most affected: we are the experts on our own lives.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by sexymaylondon
typo....