TheKnight

I Need A Techie ... Pdf Metadata ...

8 posts in this topic

Hello all

I'm after a little help ...

My landlord insists that he issued a notice to say that he and his builders would be entering my rented flat to undertake 'remedial work'. This was never received, but he has emailed me a PDF of the letter he says that he sent to me. I suspect that he wrote this after the event to cover his tracks, as otherwise he has committed the legal offence of trespass.

My question is a simple one. I have tried to look at the Document Properties for the time and date when this PDF was created; however, these fields are blank. My search of the internet indicates that you can get these details from the MetaData of a file; however, I have no idea how to do this. 

I have a Mac so any solution needs to be geared towards this; although I could use a Windows computer in the local library, I can't download any specific programs as the Adminstrator settings won't allow any change in configuration.

Can someone on here help? I admit in advance that I will need idiot proof, step by step, instructions for a Mac, but I will be hugely indebted to anyone if they can 'talk' me through this, so that I can get myself out of this and turn the tables on my landlord.

Thanks

TK.

The only things it told me are shown below, but really appreciate our effort in trying to help

The key thing for me is when the original file was created ....

Mimetype    application/pdf Title    Scanned Document Created by software    HardCopy Produced by software    Lexmark CX410de Page count    1 Format    PDF 1.5 Mimetype    application/pdf

Really, the modified/created date should be shown in the file info (CMD i on Apple machines) - not sure why those fields would be blank - but perhaps if he created the pdf on a windows machine, it may not translate properly.

You should also try adobe acrobat (not Apple Preview as default) to see if there is any hidden metadata.

Hope that helps.

Of course, any email letters received post the offence, are dubious as they can of course be back dated. He should've sent the letter to you registered post, or at least have given you a courtesy phone call beforehand. Are you with an estate agent or is this a direct private landlord?

Hi earlgrey

Not really sure what CMD i is ... can you explain?

Rented the flat through an agent and it is the agent who didn't issue the notice ... the only thing that complicates things was that I wasn't there for the 10 days that they come in and did the work, although a friend who popped round (with my keys) took photos of the work in progress ...

Both landlord and agent now insist that this PDF was printed and posted to me ... it wasn't .... But I need to prove it ...

Anyway, would love to know what CMD i is?

To other board members ... can you help? Please!!

I think (only think) that Cmd will be the abbreviation for  'Command'. It is with Windows systems, and I guess that the same will be true for Apple.

Hi earlgrey

Not really sure what CMD i is ... can you explain?

Rented the flat through an agent and it is the agent who didn't issue the notice ... the only thing that complicates things was that I wasn't there for the 10 days that they come in and did the work, although a friend who popped round (with my keys) took photos of the work in progress ...

Both landlord and agent now insist that this PDF was printed and posted to me ... it wasn't .... But I need to prove it ...

Anyway, would love to know what CMD i is?

To other board members ... can you help? Please!!

CMD is the modifier key which use to be the apple key - yep it's short for 'command'. It's the key(s) immediately to the left or right of the spacebar on apple keyboards. Otherwise, right click on the PDF and get info

If you have pictures as proof of workers in your apartment during the time you were away and without your permission, I believe it's down to the estate agent/landlord to prove they sent it. The easiest and most formal way of notification is either via courier or registered post. It's all rather lazy of them, even a phone call would've sufficed?

Thanks all for the advice ...

This just gets better and better ...

Now about to dock my deposit ... will see on what grounds in the next few days ...

I really do feel like giving up on some days ....