JKay

Mobile Phone Signals

7 posts in this topic

Been with Orange almost from when they started, had loads of the old style Nokia phones up to smart phones and all was good until the change over to EE, when orange tied up with T mobile it was great because the phone would hunt between the two to get best signal but the EE in the branding disaster of the year decided to start removing overlapping cell transmitters, not normally going to be a problem unless you are sitting in my office at home, dropped calls and signal indicator saying emergency calls only, things improve if you switch to 2g, so I switch to 3 mobile, now I use 3 mobile broadband dongle so you would have at least get a phone signal, well most of the time and again dropped calls, signal strength up and down but with 3 mobile its not possible to revert to 2g, so I try O2 now that's proving to be more reliable with 3g most of the time but have the smart phone set to 2g to make battery last longer, plus the chap in the shop got the Adult content lock removed easy, unlike the Muppets at Vodafone.........

Next I got a Sainsbury's mobile sim, it works on the Vodafone network, down side is no 4G but 2g signal off the scale! and a reliable 3G signal averaging 3 bars plus a tenner top up gets more than twice the Vodafone pack.

l could have got a BT sim card (tie up with EE network)for a fiver with my home phone contract and down load the wifi app and made calls via wifi but as its my punting phone its not a good idea.

I have a phone which can switch between signals and find that finds better signal than a newer, more up to date android.

In my area it's a constant nightmare, there are dead spots along major transport routes, good signal in some smaller towns, and poor signal in the urban areas. One largeish town I visit claims to have great 3G, it doesn't but most people don't notice it or don't complain. It's been like that for years. Emails come through 4 hours late, and I spend a lot of time trying to actually get to access webpages using the brower. When I complain all I get is denial, followed by eventually admission and a promise that it's improving - that's after they've blamed my handset which I've changed, tried many different ones in the 5 years of constantly asking when will it improve.

The town invested in wifi which loses signal as soon as you go into a building, and seems to have disappeared totally recently. Walking past shops my phone intermittently tries to connect to other wifi which requires registration and passwords, so my phone is in a constant state of not receiving anything.

It's pants.

I too have a signal problem with EE in my studio, which is in a basement in London. The last 6 or 7 months, EE have introduced EE Wifi for iPhones and some android devices (Samsung Galaxy S6, HTC etc).

I find it excellent, as it works seamlessly with my wifi connection and hops onto 3 or 4G when i go out. It uses the wifi connection for your calls...kind of like a VOIP phone call. Only bugbear, is that if i'm on a phone call and i run out the house at the same time, which happens often - it disconnects once it loses the wifi signal - but that's only a minor gripe and I doubt they can do much about that. lol

Great too when I'm on the Tube, as with Virgin WIFI underground and EE wifi, I can make and receive calls too.

I had major problems with O2 at my home a couple of years back, hence why i moved over to EE in the first place. Yeah, their customer service is utter shite - but i must say, compared to o2, it's been way better where I live.

I have heard EE are in the process of being bought out...I think by BT perhaps....but don't quote me on that.

Edited by earlgreyman

The wifi thing is all well and good, but no use to me when I'm away from home, which is often.

Indeed. It's such a nightmare living out in the boondocks when you want to keep up-to-the-minute with the rest of civilisation. Especially when running a business. In London and other large cities we're very spoiled with high quality GSM data connections and lots of wifi. The local town councils should be investing more in their communication infrastructure. The wholesale telecom and broadband providers such as BT and Virgin, etc should provide more public wifi hotspots.

I've just received a letter from Virgin Media (who's my ISP), saying they're creating a hotspot area where I live - basically, like BT openzone, they'll use commercial and domestic wifi hubs as hotspots - piggy backing to create a wide wifi net for the public. The good thing about virgin fibre broadband, there's plenty of bandwidth to spare.

You'd think, by now they'd have pretty decent coverage UK wide, thought! Sort it out UK!

I have heard EE are in the process of being bought out...I think by BT perhaps....but don't quote me on that.

...looks like it could go ahead which will be interesting from what I have read BT has a its own 4G cell transmitter set up that is separate from the EE3g network lease and when they take over EE there are no plans to remove overlapping areas.

BT are going to be big time players in both mobile and TV.

spose if you really need data anywhere then you have to use immarsat.   Pricey tho.