Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancelot

Key In Lock Syndrome

21 posts in this topic

This started about 4 years ago (I am 51) - but it's got worse to the point that I try to avoid drinking before going out - it has become agony to hold it in and once I see a chance - the urge to urinate multiplies several times. I've not wet myself yet - but had some close calls.

Anybody else in this boat (guys not gals) ? I understand not much can be done - but there are strategies to deal with it.

not sure why this has happened to me - the psychological aspect/anxiety  - for years my o/h usually makes a big deal if I need the loo when we are out (I usually have to wait till she needs it too) - if I need it when she is in mid spiel - that's a big deal too. I wonder if her attitude and my condition are connected or is it just age.

everything else is normal anyway

Sorry to hear about your condition. It must be very frustrating. As appealing as it seems to opt for not drinking before you go out, it isn't the right move. You put yourself at risk of UTIs and kidney issues if you don't keep well hydrated. Google the bladder and bowel foundation can't wait card. It will come in useful if you are desperate and there's a queue, or for being given access to locked up disabled loos.

See if your GP or the hospital are able to give you any leaflets or recommended websites to show your o/h, or even better take her to a GP appointment with you and (s)he can advise her on how she can help. Her attitude at the moment certainly won't be helping. You require understanding and normality around suffering with such a sensitive issue. I'm sure she'd expect the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Hmm

As I have got older the need to pee has got more frequent. I rarely have a night without a 3am pee. And long drives can be difficult.

As has been said above keeping properly hydrated is essential for lots of reasons.

You do need to ensure you prostate is ok if you have an urge to pee and there is nothing there when you go.

Have a checkup then take her to the quack so the doc or nurse can explain how it works. I am sure when she understands she will be sympathetic.

Sorry to hear about your condition. It must be very frustrating. As appealing as it seems to opt for not drinking before you go out, it isn't the right move. You put yourself at risk of UTIs and kidney issues if you don't keep well hydrated. Google the bladder and bowel foundation can't wait card. It will come in useful if you are desperate and there's a queue, or for being given access to locked up disabled loos.

See if your GP or the hospital are able to give you any leaflets or recommended websites to show your o/h, or even better take her to a GP appointment with you and (s)he can advise her on how she can help. Her attitude at the moment certainly won't be helping. You require understanding and normality around suffering with such a sensitive issue. I'm sure she'd expect the same if the boot was on the other foot.

Thanks for your comments.

I must admit it would not be so much of a problem if I could use a toilet - stop at service station when I choose.

So if you say. Can we stop at the next services I need a pee, she argues. Sheesh.

Think I would insist on driving then there is no argument.

There again with mrs cp if there is a chance of a coffee she will stop anytime! Unless its starbucks.

Not sure if its similar but I had a friend with a young daughter who had a weak bladder. One of the treatments on offer was botox believe it or not into the bladder muscles as apparently this would have relieved the symptoms. The other choice was pills that ended  up making her daughter fall asleep during school hours.Perhaps look into it, if its simply a weakening of the bladder wall due to age then perhaps a few simple injections will sort out the problem. Either way, you need to speak to your GP and when you need to  pee just pee for gods sake, I know you have a controlling wife but controlling when you go to the toilet is a piss take so far, excuse the pun but she needs to be just told straight. Shes not going to up and run off to russia just because you put your foot down over going for a pee when you need it

Thanks for your comments.

I must admit it would not be so much of a problem if I could use a toilet - stop at service station when I choose.

You can, just pull over and say sorry, need to wee. Sometimes its not so much that someone controls someone but someone allows someone TOO MUCH control. Just pull over, she may get a bit huffy but so what, holding it in for so many years may be whats caused the problem in the first place in which case you are allowing her to damage  your health.

So if you say. Can we stop at the next services I need a pee, she argues. Sheesh.

Think I would insist on driving then there is no argument.

There again with mrs cp if there is a chance of a coffee she will stop anytime! Unless its starbucks.

she doesnt hold a license to drive - I drive

Ask your GP about 'smooth muscle relaxants' for irritated bladder. Many men who are going through 'bladder re-training' following prostate surgery take that class of medicines to calm their bladder nerve signals and so reduce 'frequency'. Your bladder / bladder nerve endings may simply have become irritated.

And tell her to get out and walk or find another means of transport. That way she can continue her journey sans loo stops.

Pee in the car on a regular basis.. Maybe she will start realising the problem! 

2 people like this

Ask your GP about 'smooth muscle relaxants' for irritated bladder. Many men who are going through 'bladder re-training' following prostate surgery take that class of medicines to calm their bladder nerve signals and so reduce 'frequency'. Your bladder / bladder nerve endings may simply have become irritated.

perhaps - that's a good tip as it feels like an sort of ultra itch when I get the urge

With me it only happens when I'm approaching home. In the last couple of minutes before arriving, when it can become real jumping up and down on the spot and clenching my groin when I'm in the lift.Odd thing is that when I get to the lav there doesn't seem to have been much there to cause all that agony. And yes, I have occasionally wet myself slightly in these circumstances.

I get my prostate checked every year and it's not that.

With me it only happens when I'm approaching home. In the last couple of minutes before arriving, when it can become real jumping up and down on the spot and clenching my groin when I'm in the lift.Odd thing is that when I get to the lav there doesn't seem to have been much there to cause all that agony. And yes, I have occasionally wet myself slightly in these circumstances.

I get my prostate checked every year and it's not that.

that's why it's called key in lock syndrome

same with me - I usually feel much more urgency when there is a toilet nearby

I avoid tea/coffee before going out - unless I'm going somewhere like the garden centre 20 minutes drive away as they have toilets

my worst ever occasion was when I had to drive from east london all the way to battersea and there was no hope of a toilet stop - 2 hours in traffic - I somehow made it though

Man up

How big are your wife's balls Lancy.... because you do not seem to own a pair!

Man up

How big are your wife's balls Lancy.... because you do not seem to own a pair!

I do have a pair - I just havent sewn them back since ..

I do have a pair - I just havent sewn them back since ..

Just bloody pull over or when she needs to pee say no, you have to wait till I need one. Bloody hells bells

Key in lock syndrome is quite common I think......

I can better that though........

Once or twice I have had postcode syndrome

:eek: