Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Himagain

New Petition

33 posts in this topic

A new petition has just been started by a regular, anti-criminalisation, poster to The Guardian's Comment is Free debates:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/defersexworkbill

It is basically calling for any attempt to introduce new legislation relating sex work until after the next general election & argues for this on the basis that the current Government was elected with a mandate to increase tolerance & liberalise legal restictions relating to brothels, not to further criminalise either sex workers or their clients.

Please sign.

Ten signatures so far, including mine.

Only just over 20 signatures now. Come on now, ladies and gentlemen, face up to your responsibilities.

It's up to 28 signatures now, but needs to get at least 200, ASAP, if it is to have any effect before Jacqui Smith starts trying to force her proposals through Parliament.

It's up to 28 signatures now, but needs to get at least 200, ASAP, if it is to have any effect before Jacqui Smith starts trying to force her proposals through Parliament.

What exactly is the mechanism? It says that you have to sign up by November 2009. Any particular reason for specifying 200? At that point it magically starts counting as significant? 200 isn't very many Brits - and 33 (the number we're at at the moment) is just pathetic.

PS God bless the three Bath Babes who signed up - the only names I recognised.

What exactly is the mechanism? It says that you have to sign up by November 2009. Any particular reason for specifying 200? At that point it magically starts counting as significant? 200 isn't very many Brits - and 33 (the number we're at at the moment) is just pathetic.

To be honest, I've no idea where they hit upon the figure of 200 signatures in 12 months. It just seems to be an arbitrary cut off figure.

It's only after this that the names can start to really clock up.

The funny thing is that certain, Scottish sounding, female MPs are quite capable of getting round the rules. Due to the fact that not many in the commons even realise that e-petitions exist or the rules that apply to them, Fiona Mactaggart was able to take a failed petition, calling for the Swedish Model to be adopted, run around getting everyone in her office to sign it & still get it accepted with less than 200 names.

How, you might ask? Simple, lie, tell the House that online petitions aren't accepted & circumvent the rules.

I've just been looking round the site. There are more than 5000 petitions going at the moment. And the signatories of some of those that have reached their deadline aren't even into double figures. So I suppose we're not doing too badly.

Yet another petition has been created:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Stop-Sex-Law/

Is that wise? Dividing our energies. 17 signatures so far, and the other one's at 38. Can I ask why so few of you are signing? Too embarrassing? Dangerous? Waiting for a sufficient number of names so that yours won't stand out? But surely you can defend your support on pure civil liberties grounds. Anyway, nice to see Herald joining this duet between Himagain and me.

Is that wise? Dividing our energies. 17 signatures so far, and the other one's at 38. Can I ask why so few of you are signing? Too embarrassing? Dangerous? Waiting for a sufficient number of names so that yours won't stand out? But surely you can defend your support on pure civil liberties grounds. Anyway, nice to see Herald joining this duet between Himagain and me.

no it is not wise with many petitions and this is probably right Waiting for a sufficient number of names so that yours won't stand out?

no it is not wise with many petitions and this is probably right Waiting for a sufficient number of names so that yours won't stand out?

It looks as if they'll be waiting for ever. It's still at a measly 43, with about one new name per week.

Just saw the thread and signed for both petitions.

To be honest, I've no idea where they hit upon the figure of 200 signatures in 12 months. It just seems to be an arbitrary cut off figure.

It's only after this that the names can start to really clock up.

The funny thing is that certain, Scottish sounding, female MPs are quite capable of getting round the rules. Due to the fact that not many in the commons even realise that e-petitions exist or the rules that apply to them, Fiona Mactaggart was able to take a failed petition, calling for the Swedish Model to be adopted, run around getting everyone in her office to sign it & still get it accepted with less than 200 names.

How, you might ask? Simple, lie, tell the House that online petitions aren't accepted & circumvent the rules.

200? like the 1200 brothels to be closed and 300 punters to be arrested. We live in a bullshit world....

as i understand,200 is the number needed for a petition to be acknowledged and looked at.

signed weeks ago!

what are people afraid of,standing up for the rights of women to sell sex in a safe and secure environment is to be admired

A new petition has just been started by a regular, anti-criminalisation, poster to The Guardian's Comment is Free debates:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/defersexworkbill

It is basically calling for any attempt to introduce new legislation relating sex work until after the next general election & argues for this on the basis that the current Government was elected with a mandate to increase tolerance & liberalise legal restictions relating to brothels, not to further criminalise either sex workers or their clients.

Please sign.

Number of signatories has suddenly shot up to 70 - enough now for your names not to stand out?

Number of signatories has suddenly shot up to 70 - enough now for your names not to stand out?

The pro-sex feminists bloggers have found out about the petition & have been urging people to sign it on their websites; which is probably why most of the new signatories are women.

It's now passed the 100 mark. My faith in humanity is restored.

I just signed it:)

Doubt it will make any difference though:(

As you can see this petition has now reached 193 signatures:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/defersexworkbill/?signed=e72ad7d.ddfd6c

Someone said on the thread that when it gets over 200, it starts to have weight. So, come on, let's have a new surge of names.

I don't like to be negative & did sign some months ago, but 193 signatures in 7 months isn't really impressive. The one calling on the PM to resign has got 55000 in just a few weeks http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/