Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

The Case For Decriminalising Brothels Discussed On Today's Daily Politics Show On Bbc2

4 posts in this topic

Only just noticed this, so just too late to watch it live, but perhaps worth a viewing when it goes up later on iPlayer.

A former sex worker of the year claims her colleagues feel unsafe at work as she puts the case to decriminalise brothels.

Charlotte Rose said prostitution was legal in England, Scotland and Wales, although the law had changed in Northern Ireland to criminalise men who use sex workers.

In a personal film for Wednesday's Daily Politics, where she will debate with MPs on-air around 12:40 BST, she said police no longer turned a blind eye to the sex trade in London's Soho, but prostitutes should have the same rights as other workers.

I understand from the separate blurb on the Radio Times web site that Charlotte was due to debate this topic in today's Daily Politics programme with Conservative Culture Minister Ed Vaizey and Labour's Lisa Nandy.

The short "personal film" which I believe will have kicked off the debate can be viewed at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34262019

This programme is now available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06chkk1/daily-politics-16092015

Charlotte's film starts at around 01:16. The short discussion which follows starts at around 01:18 and lasts for about 5 minutes.

I thought Charlotte gave a good account of herself, although the discussion never got really heated as neither of the two politicians appeared to have strong opinions on prostitution. Ed Vaizey admitted, "This is not my policy area" and said the current government had no plans to change the law on prostitution, while Lisa Nandy for Labour seemed uncertain of where she stood on the issue. Her work with trafficked women had given her concerns about perceived links between trafficking and prostitution, but she appeared impressed with Charlotte's presentation and welcomed the fact that she had come forward to share her views and experiences. 

A discussion between Fiona McTaggart and John McDonnell might have been more exciting and entertaining, but in the end, neither would have changed their positions on the subject. I think that what this debate suggested is that there are many (possibly a majority) of MPs who have little experience or understanding of the multi-faceted world of sex work and it can only be a positive thing to provide them with insights into this world via testimonies from willing providers of consensual paid sexual experiences.

Hats off to Charlotte for her contribution to that endeavour. 

I think that what this debate suggested is that there are many (possibly a majority) of MPs who have little experience or understanding of the multi-faceted world of sex work and it can only be a positive thing to provide them with insights into this world via testimonies from willing providers of consensual paid sexual experiences.

You can probably apply that to the general public too. I am sure there are quite a few people with strident negative views on sex workers and their clients who base their opinions on watching Liam Neeson hunting for his daughter in Taken and a sleazy documentary they watched once.

Edited by FantasyLover