Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Family Jailed For Trafficking Hungarian Women For Prostitution

11 posts in this topic

I just happened across this piece on the BBC website.

'Mark Monaghan, prosecuting, said..."The victims were coerced into prostitution, there was violence and threats of violence."'

So it sounds like this was a fair cop and rightly so.

However, it will no doubt be seized on by the antis to claim that this is typical of all prostitution and that it justifies laws making every aspect of paid-for-sex activities illegal.

I think it's not made enough out of, these prosecutions seem to be quietly slipped into the news - instead of going all 'trafficky' why not concentrate on the successful prosecutions?

My view on this kind of reporting is that it is highly sensationalized to satisfy the public that the police are doing something to maintain law and order .

Personally , I have just attended a trafficking trial in London going on for almost 8 weeks . I was in court for 4 weeks listening to evidence .  If you believe the press about the girls are coerced , sex slaves  , you will believe anything . In most cases the girl knows what she's doing and is willingly  " traffiked " into the uk . 

1 person likes this

No doubt there will be guys somewhere claiming they saw no evidence of trafficking

No doubt there will be guys somewhere claiming they saw no evidence of trafficking

Thats the flip side of the coin,those who claim it doesn't happen at all.Theres been a few like that on this site.

When you see the prosecutions the sentences always make me chuckle,not in a good way.Like here for instance.We have 6  3  4  and 4.4 years so thats out in 3    1.5    2    2  approximately.There were two victims that we know about in the trial.Now their stating £150 a day.Thats doesn't say whether thats each or both together so thats either £54,600 or £109,200 per yer minus minmal expenses.I'd say we could look at that as a minimum figure.Add that to prison conditions as apposed to conditions back home for the Dardai clan.Not much of a detterent now is it.You will actually get a longer prison sentence for tobbacco smuggling.

Interestingly, this case was in Manchester, where there isn't currently have legislation along the 'Swedish Model' lines (making the purchase of sex illegal). Across the water, in Northern Ireland, where they introduced this legislation in April, I have found no news stories about PSNI busting sex-work traffickers.

So, if the Manchester police can sucessfully bring sex-work traffickers to book without this law, what is the point of the Northern Ireland legislation?

I think two different points here . The purchase of sex is not illegal . Offering sex for sale is not illegal  .  Tafficking humans for sex work is illegal .  Control of sex workers is illegal .   This is what I picked up from being in court recently observing a traffiking case 

Interestingly, this case was in Manchester, where there isn't currently have legislation along the 'Swedish Model' lines (making the purchase of sex illegal). Across the water, in Northern Ireland, where they introduced this legislation in April, I have found no news stories about PSNI busting sex-work traffickers.

So, if the Manchester police can sucessfully bring sex-work traffickers to book without this law, what is the point of the Northern Ireland legislation?

It's supposed to reduce the market for trafficking, ie put punters off so traffickers think there's no market so no point trafficking the women.

It doesn't necessarily directly affect the traffickers.

Edited by Strawberry

As Strawberry points out,it's to do with reducing demand,well thats the official explanation anyway.In reality its about keeping people happy.You have those who just find the prospect of prostitution unplatable who are happy as its criminalisation of the proffession through the back door as it were.The police are happy as it gives them a reason to harrass wg's under the auspicies of checking they arent trafficked etc.Such checks also have the effect of pretty much moving them on.It will also be a revenue gatherer being a finable offence,we know how much the police and councils love those.

The other reason is,most people know that trafficking exists,just not in the extent.The highest publicised form is for the sex industry(catering,domestic,farming industries etc having far higher instances.We also ignore that men are also trafficked.)Now realistically theres little the gvt can actually do.Very few people come forward as victims(well genuine ones anyway.Trafficking along with being gay have become popular in people seeking asylum)for fear of repercussions.That coupled with a lack of help and coporation with the countries of origin of the victims means theres not a lot the gvt can do.Now what do they do in such circumstances.They use it as an excuse to bring in new laws they can use in other ways(such as many of the suppsoed anti terror laws) and its good propaganda to make it look like theyre actually doing something.

I think two different points here . The purchase of sex is not illegal . Offering sex for sale is not illegal  .  Tafficking humans for sex work is illegal .  Control of sex workers is illegal .   This is what I picked up from being in court recently observing a traffiking case 

Exactly.There are already laws in place to deal with trafficking etc so why do we need further legislation,especially as the existing legislation is barely being enforced.Anyone remember the trafficking victim the Uk is having to pay compensation to after she was deported back into the hands of her traffickers.

A case today of a couple that paid theirnanny 11p a day. Doesnt mean hiring a nanny is bad. It means the equivalent of slave labour is bad.

lol who goes to places like that anyway. I would be afraid of living my car on a street like this. Not mentioning entering that kind of apartment. 

above all.. making prostitution legal would stop things like that from happening. (I think) 

(oldest trade in the world) that always existed and it will always be around no matter what. 

I personally think that trafficking across Europe have shrunk in size anyway. at least among people from Eastern Europe. From EU countries. 

This used to be well known problem in Poland before we (i'm polish) join the EU. Polish women where smuggled to Germany and Holland mostly to work for Turks and Germans. they were physically sold like slaves. Their passports were taken in most cases, and they were normally threaten that their families back in Poland will be killed if they refuse to work. And obviously they starved them. 

"my name is justine" polish movie about trafficking quiet old but it reflects this problem perfectly.

But now.. Those days 99% of girls from Easter Europe work either by themselves but hire a receptionist or work for somebody but only because they want to. To many Eastern Europeans live in here and they know their rights, they also speak English and even if they don't there is always a polish person or Russian or Latvian to ask for help. 

Seen some brothels around in London swarmed with polish, hungarian or latvian girls but they were not slaved for sure. 

Slaves don't wear dolce gabbana bracelet and use latest iphone ;p 

There is a new weapon to target traffickers ! ;) 

http://darkwebnews.com/news/memex-indexes-the-internets-darkest-corners/ 

just watch the movie