Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourSlave

Anyone Know How To Make A Freedom Of Info Request?

12 posts in this topic

I wonder if a freedom of info request could be used to obtain the hundreds of responses from the 2012(?) consultation by Rhoda Grant re the IKEA model for Scotland. RG removed them from her website as soon as the bill was defeated but I think they would be helpful to have available in case there are any further IKEA model attempts in the future.

I doubt this is the right forum for your request (unless I am completely missing the implication of the IKEA model).

I am not even sure the Legal forum is appropriate as that seems to be only about the sex industry so Off Topic might be the best place but of course it would be up to the Mods to move it.

I do wonder if I have missed the point though as it just appears on the face of it to be nothing to do with Punternet whatsoever?

If I am not mistaken Rhoda Grant was pushing for the IKEA aka Swedish Model in Scotland as opposed to a bill insisting that people in Scotland have a certain kind of IKEA furniture installed in their homes.

To that extent I can see why YS posted on Punternet - however quite where on PN is above my pay grade - legal and legalities perhaps - but I can see why it is under General too. 

As for making a freedom of information request:

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/how-to-make-an-foi-request

I doubt this is the right forum for your request (unless I am completely missing the implication of the IKEA model).

I am not even sure the Legal forum is appropriate as that seems to be only about the sex industry so Off Topic might be the best place but of course it would be up to the Mods to move it.

I do wonder if I have missed the point though as it just appears on the face of it to be nothing to do with Punternet whatsoever?

I believe Yourslave is referring to this! 

http://www.scot-pep.org.uk/having-voice/scot-pep-campaigns/criminalisation-purchase-sex

1 person likes this

An alternative approach would be to consult a techie who may be able to guide you to archived copies of her website.  I am not that expert, but PM me if you want me to point you in the direction of a PN member who seems to know about such things.  I would add that this route may prove more fruitful as I suspect RG may not be overly helpful in disclosing the info you seek unless you are an approved friend of hers ;)

It is worth noting that there are limited get out clauses within the FoI Act on the grounds of cost or effort etc.  I would expect those to be deployed, either that, pure silence, or long delays at every stage.

At least I kept open the possibility it was relevant...

But why post using an unexplained term that surely most punters would not be aware of?

Yep. The IKEA model is my pet name for the Swedish model but I should clarify since not everyone will know what I mean.

The consultation responses for her 2012 private member bill to criminalise the purchase of sex in Scotland were stored at the following URL (x being the number of the response)

http://www.rhodagrant.org.uk/x.pdf

I've tried the Internet Archive WaybacK Machine website but no luck.

The request is not covered by FOI

This is correct - FOI applies only to material held by public bodies. It does not extend to the work of MPs (or, in this case, MSPs), unless copies of relevant material are held by a public body which can be interrogated for them.

Pity. I downloaded them all as well (I read every single one) but later deleted them.

A huge number were from people who nothing of the sex industry apart from the Nefarious documentary they had been shown at church (I think it's safe to say in preparation for the consultation RG had been in touch with almost every church in the country to get them to show them this to their church-goers and to encourage them to reply to the consultation).

It was also clear a large number of supporters were well meaning but clearly knew nothing judging by the fact their response consisted of no personal knowledge or experience but a simple regurgitation of stats which had been debunked over and over.

If I remember correctly approx 63 sexworkers (people who have or have had sex for payment) responded to the consultation, 60 were against and only 3 were in favour. And 100% (19 responses) of the clients who responded were against. What irritated me was how the responses from the sexworkers weren't seperated from the rest and were lost in a sea of responses from people who would say things like "prostitution is against god's law". This was part of RG's plan, she wanted people to choose a response at random from the list knowing the chance of clicking on a response from a sexworker was low and the chance of clicking a response from a church-goer was more likely.

With this in mind, I think this does a good job of exposing how weak RG's case for the Swedish model really is if she has to rely so heavily on church-goers and inaccurate statistics.

It might sound like I was a little obsessed but if a bill like this were to actually pass, getting it reversed would be so much harder than stopping it to begin with.

2 people like this

Pity. I downloaded them all as well (I read every single one) but later deleted them.

A huge number were from people who nothing of the sex industry apart from the Nefarious documentary they had been shown at church (I think it's safe to say in preparation for the consultation RG had been in touch with almost every church in the country to get them to show them this to their church-goers and to encourage them to reply to the consultation).

It was also clear a large number of supporters were well meaning but clearly knew nothing judging by the fact their response consisted of no personal knowledge or experience but a simple regurgitation of stats which had been debunked over and over.

If I remember correctly approx 63 sexworkers (people who have or have had sex for payment) responded to the consultation, 60 were against and only 3 were in favour. And 100% (19 responses) of the clients who responded were against. What irritated me was how the responses from the sexworkers weren't seperated from the rest and were lost in a sea of responses from people who would say things like "prostitution is against god's law". This was part of RG's plan, she wanted people to choose a response at random from the list knowing the chance of clicking on a response from a sexworker was low and the chance of clicking a response from a church-goer was more likely.

With this in mind, I think this does a good job of exposing how weak RG's case for the Swedish model really is if she has to rely so heavily on church-goers and inaccurate statistics.

It might sound like I was a little obsessed but if a bill like this were to actually pass, getting it reversed would be so much harder than stopping it to begin with.

.....I agree completely and salute you!  The Swedish Model or as I like to call it the Volvo Model, is a pernicious piece of legislation, placating feminists and churchgoers (strange bed fellows indeed) who believe that every act of paid for sex is de facto 'violence against' women and consensual prostitution (as opposed to trafficked) is a curse and a blight.  I am with you all the way - much better to stop before rather than after it became law (God forbid).

Although I do think the UK will resist it - on economic not moral grounds - given prostitution (and drugs) brings in £5 Billion into the Exchequer year after year.