vivluvsme

Word 97

8 posts in this topic

Now I've got your interest... or bear with, bear with:

I have a CD copy of this with its OEM and have used it without hiccup since about 1997.

Now suddenly it has a problem that reinstalling it doesn't seem to resolve.

I have gone to OpenOffice to preserve an important old document but I don't like it much (tho no big problem of course).

Any possibility MS have done something to squidge aged programs like Word 97?

think there was something in Webuser mag this week about windows updates doing stuff to old software.

it would appear that they also stuff 10 into a file ready to be installed.

Your comment had me googling for info and while the mag is not accessible online free, I did find this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versions-of-microsoft/6faf72ea-254a-4c8e-9982-2c36cdb1936c

from June this year and it says MS declared that Office 97 would work with 10, by which I would have assumed Word would too.

I looked at a forum and it mentioned Libre so I downloaded it as a second potential replacement/back up (oddly given its name, you have negotiate a plea for a donation first).

It saved an Open Office doc in the same format (ending .odt), which surprised me.

I remember I had a problem with Open Office (can't remember what) and since then have used Kingsoft Office without any issues.

A security update, KB3086255, in September, stopped you using any CD's or DVD's with copy protection software.

I'm amazed a near 20 something year old piece of software would actually still work on any modern OS. I think you had a good run :)

Time for an upgrade me thinks :P

Oddly, JBG, I ought to have escaped that (which of course I didn't know about) since it is a copied CD rather than the original - or am I being naive.

But also that contradicts what I read was a staple of MS progs that they pledged to have them work for life.

EGM, of course it's a good run but, as above, working for life is not working for 20 years.

Bert, I will look at Kingsoft Office. Another one I haven't heard of - thanks.