Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pollyp23

Hudl Alternatives?

14 posts in this topic

I bought a Tesco hudl this year and love it. I'd like to buy my Mum one, but it seems that they are out of stock.

What are the alternatives at a similar price?

I would try to pick one up somewhere else (Amazon perhaps) as Tesco have no plans to re-stock it or produce Hudle 3.

Even more oh! £179 ish on Amazon. Have plumped for a Tesco customer return for £80.

Hopefully it should be OK!

I did not know that they had stopped making them? Any specific reason why?  I have one too and it is great. 

there was a piece on watchdog on them on Thrus evening.  Seems they overheat and crack the screen

If you look on the Tesco shelves, the Hudl accessories have been reduced in price, not restocked and shifted to less conspicuous positions since the end of August.

I haven't found that i use mine at all having bought it for £69 with the Boost coupon scheme.

I always wanted a laptop but despite window shopping all the time, I could never convince myself I needed one just as I am reconciled to never entering the smartphone era - just have no need and not enough friends.

Just googling relevant phrases doesn't bring up anything about the screen issue for some reason.

Edited by vivluvsme

Well stating the obvious..a kindle?

I bought a refurb ipad mini 2 off ebay for £180. Very good value for money - doesn't seem to suffer the same performance slowdown as my iphone 5S.

Well stating the obvious..a kindle?

You're not serious?

They're totally different things!☺

A Kindle Fire is probably what she means? They are similar to Hudls.

Regular Kindles, as in the e-boook readers, are different and not comparable.

Depends what you want them for. Kindle Fire HD does not have access to the Goggle play. (only apps from Amazon store). You can stream the Amazon videos on it though, oppose to the Android tablets (HUDL included). 

I don't know why HUDL become so popular though.  Granted: the screen resolution is excellent for the price, and quad core processor is brill too. It did represented value for the money even with a Hudl1...at the time, but now you can get much better and more powerful tablets for less money. Ok, they not going to be branded (made in China, S Korea, Hong Kong, etc), but if you buy them from Amazon approved seller, its a fairly good bet.

Edited by Xenia

Ah!

Depends what you want them for. Kindle Fire HD does not have access to the Goggle play. (only apps from Amazon store). You can stream the Amazon videos on it though, oppose to the Android tablets (HUDL included). 

I don't know why HUDL become so popular though.  Granted: the screen resolution is excellent for the price, and quad core processor is brill too. It did represented value for the money even with a Hudl1...at the time, but now you can get much better and more powerful tablets for less money. Ok, they not going to be branded (made in China, S Korea, Hong Kong, etc), but if you buy them from Amazon approved seller, its a fairly good bet.

Yes that is true. Kindle Fire's are a slightly different kettle to reglar Android tablets. A better comparison might be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 lite 7. They're only about £80ish on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HYIKR9U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3/278-5954889-0403225?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=140VYECYYJV2SXY8A0RJ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B00I96U318