JKay

The Telephone Preference Service

11 posts in this topic

Anyone signed up to this service to stop cold calling?

Does help but if the call centre is non uk some still get through.

Something to be on the look out for phone calls claiming to be the Telephone Preference Service and asking to update your details, be aware that the TPS will never cold call you, it states this on its website, just hang up, or do what I did, just string him along talking bollox, I kept him going for 12 minutes before he lost the will to live and hung up on me.

the service is free so don't let anyone convince you that you need to pay online to be updated.

1 person likes this

Yes I've always used this, and you can pop your mobile number on too. Also make sure that you tell all organisations that you do not wish to receive marketing calls, if you do ask them to remove you. When I take out subscriptions or sign up for anything, I walsy tell them not to phone or mail me, if I want anything I'll make contact with them.

I'm also on the MPS for mail, and have also opted out of Royal Mail door to door mailings. Definitely all makes a difference.

Been a member for years and, yes, it does work but only to to an extent.

As you say, it doesn't stop calls from abroad (in my case usually some Indian claiming to be calling about a technical problem with my computer to which I have a very simple response usually involving the words "fuck" and "off") nor does it stop recorded messages about the green deal, PPI claims etc.

Yes I've always used this, and you can pop your mobile number on too. Also make sure that you tell all organisations that you do not wish to receive marketing calls, if you do ask them to remove you. When I take out subscriptions or sign up for anything, I walsy tell them not to phone or mail me, if I want anything I'll make contact with them.

I'm also on the MPS for mail, and have also opted out of Royal Mail door to door mailings. Definitely all makes a difference.

I was a member with TPS.  didnt stop it.  now I have asked my ISP to stop calls from witheld numbers.  That cut it down a lot. but it doesnt stop numbers from abroad.  so now I tell people I know to call us on mobiles and dont answer the landline at all.  seems to have stopped the problem after time as they realise we dont pick up.  when we can be arsed we 1471 but uts always 'we do not have their number'  Why we cant stop all calls without a number when the call arrives in the UK i dont know.  I am not aware of anyone who wants these calls.

The MPS works a bit.  the unaddressed mail thing less well.  The real problem is leafleting people putting shed loads of crap through the door -nothing to do with royal mail.  Spose if I could be arsed I would take the stuff to the businesses and tell them i dont want their stuff.

Yes, I joined a couple of years ago, and it's definitely helped. I find two types still get through - the automated PPI alerts, and the Indian call centres where 'David' or 'Sharon' will ask if you've got a problem with your PC, or want to do a lifestyle survey. Also obviously the odd UK shyster, usually telling me that I've been in a car accident (strange, as I don't own one...) I just put the phone down, or sometimes announce that I'm on the TPS so they'd better remove me from their mailing list first.

Probably tempting fate, but in 17 years, I've only ever had a handful on my mobile, despite keeping the same number.

1 person likes this

How to annoy cold callers, sound interested and then say hang on, someone at the door l then put phone next to a small radio tuned to talksport, then return in 20 minutes........

Or pretend to be interested but thick and play along and string it out, get them to repeat things even spell words because its a bad line, had some fun with this over the years.

I have a real simple Policy, I only answer a call if I know who the caller is, I dont make exceptions and as only those on my contact list actually make the phone ring (all other callers and who are not on my contact list and the phone doesn't ring) then it works perfectly.

I'm sure sometimes I've missed an important call or similar but thats the trade-off and one I've been more than happy to live with since year dot.

I have a real simple Policy, I only answer a call if I know who the caller is, I dont make exceptions and as only those on my contact list actually make the phone ring (all other callers and who are not on my contact list and the phone doesn't ring) then it works perfectly.

I'm sure sometimes I've missed an important call or similar but thats the trade-off and one I've been more than happy to live with since year dot.

This your mobile? I suppose to ignore the cold callers on a landline you need caller display.

This your mobile? I suppose to ignore the cold callers on a landline you need caller display.

Home phone is only plugged in if I need to make a call, had it set so that it doesn't receive incoming calls.

Having said that, there are home phones out there that you can set to block incoming anonymous calls or set it the same as my mobile and have the phone to ring only when those on it's address book are calling, any other calls gives it a silent ring or engaged tone (depending on what you want it to to)

Some of the models of Gigaset do just that http://www.ligo.co.uk/blog/all-you-need-to-know-about-call-blocking/

Edited by EnjoyEmily

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎01‎:‎12‎, EnjoyEmily said:

Having said that, there are home phones out there that you can set to block incoming anonymous calls or set it the same as my mobile and have the phone to ring only when those on it's address book are calling, any other calls gives it a silent ring or engaged tone (depending on what you want it to to)

You no need to buy a new phone. Few year ago I bought this little thingy for a tenner. Its £14 now refurbished. Mine was refurbished as well, but came "as new" with a bit of damage on the package.

You do need caller display activated though with your landline provider. Its usually £2 per month or free, depending from provider.

Its already has 200 well known phone spammers programmed in the unit.  The rest its easy to manually set up: computer dialled anonymous/private, from abroad, etc. Also while you answering, you can press "Block" button, and call from this number never going to reach you again.

Its reduced the number of calls to almost 0 (maybe one unwanted call in the 2-3 months getting through). One of the best tenner I've ever spent. :-)

If I am not too busy I love to try to keep them talking. The best I have done so far is around 20 minutes and by then even I was getting bored!