Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
enquire

Friends reunited

6 posts in this topic

Earlier this year I was advised by a WG that clients should have a sexual health check every 6months and providers every 3 months, I have been following this advice. This evening, I walk into waiting area, and two women (friends) in front of me. They spot a third woman, and it's big smiles and hugs. All reacting like long lost friends. I assume they are WGs, as normally you wouldn't react like that to see someone you know at a sexual health centre. I also assume they are all clued up, otherwise they wouldn't be there. But I have a question.There are a number of young women, some relatively new to UK working in agencies. Does the agency advice them to have health checks? Would they know about GUM? Is it best to stick to more experienced providers? Am I being silly to ask 

@enquire New to the country? Depends on how they got into the country! Depends on who is running/helping them? Depends if they are doing it with a free will! Depends how good their English is and also those who are running them! Knowledge of GUM might be irrelevant to those running them and therefore the women would have no clue or at least no ability to go there if they did. Depends again on who is running them and if they are doing it freely!

For me no question is silly to ask.. Some answer you might receive will be though!

Posted (edited)

I'm more surprised at the wg who told you clients should only go every 6 months.If you are punting regularly then really you should get checked 3 monthly the same as wgs.This should apply to anyone who is having sexual activity with multiple partners regardless of if they are involved in the sex industry.I would think that they have sexual health clinics of some sort in most European countries and you have no reason to assume because someone is young or from an Eastern European country they will be ignorant on sexual health and where to get checked.Such information is available on the internet and even with a poor grasp of English there is such a thing as google translate.

By the way you cannot assume these were working ladies,plenty of students etc go get checked and even make appointments on the same day as abit of moral support.Going to the GUM doesn't hold the stigma it used to do.

Edited by Bibi
Wanted to add something.
2 people like this

Thanks for the advice. The  H and safety threads Probably the best things about PN. Followed by debate

I would also say every three months x

Every 3 months is the official guidance, unless you've had a broken condom, in which case you'll need to wait three weeks* and then go in for testing (before that you may get a false negative.)

*Unless you think there's a good chance you've been exposed to HIV in a high-risk context in which case you may want to go in asap to enquire about PEP drugs. You're highly unlikely to need them and they're not fun to take, but it's good to know about them.