JKay

Windows 7 ?

21 posts in this topic

Its that time of year that I get the urge to buid a new PC, something AM3 board based, nothing thats the fastest to keep costs down, perhaps a Phenom x3 cpu, is it worth buying W 7? does the cost make it any better than my spare XP pro? is it life changing stuff or full of glitter eye candy?

If you're happy with XP Pro, then I'd stick with it. I tend to have 2 laptops, one work based and on XP, the other I bought recently which came with Vista with an upgrade to Windows 7.

Windows 7 is definitely better than Vista (doesn't interfer so much, and looks better), but is it worth £70 to upgrade, I'd say no and go and spend the dosh on half an hour elsewhere.....!

XP works.

It it aint broke, dont fix it.

or for the fun try Linux!

I have W7 on my personal lappy and XP Pro at work

Can't say I've noticed anything significantly better on W7, in fact nothing much between it and Vista

If costs are the driving factor I'd stick with what you have or as has been suggested go Linux

anyone had sucess making a lappy dual boot vista and linix or xp and linux or xp and vista?

Its that time of year that I get the urge to buid a new PC, something AM3 board based, nothing thats the fastest to keep costs down, perhaps a Phenom x3 cpu, is it worth buying W 7? does the cost make it any better than my spare XP pro? is it life changing stuff or full of glitter eye candy?

I would buy an OEM copy but be sure that the system you build will stay like that for the future. For example don't decide to upgrade your c drive after a few months or that Windows disk will be a coaster, as I found out to my own cost.

anyone had sucess making a lappy dual boot vista and linix or xp and linux or xp and vista?

Just make a new partition with windows and install on the new one

I would buy an OEM copy but be sure that the system you build will stay like that for the future. For example don't decide to upgrade your c drive after a few months or that Windows disk will be a coaster, as I found out to my own cost.

On my third hard drive on my XP home pc, never had a problem with Windows Genuine Advantage.

Think I only paid £30 for it from PC fair.

On my third hard drive on my XP home pc, never had a problem with Windows Genuine Advantage.

Think I only paid £30 for it from PC fair.

Ive heard that micrsoft were lenient back in the day of XP. But their policies have changed. I installed a OEM vista on a 40 gig hdd and was so surprised by the amount of disk space it used I installed it on a 120 gig. But it had already been activated on the 40, not by me! Windows told me I was 'probably' running an illegal copy of Vista.

I phoned MS who told me to contact my dealer, all in all I got no where.

I recently treated myself to a new laptop (ThinkPad X200s, 2.13GHz LV Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128 SSD, WLAN, the works... not much larger or heavier than some netbooks with >10 hours run time on a 9 cell extended battery). :D

I chose Windows 7 64 bit for it, and to be honest it was a no brainer of a decision.

Windows XP is a decade old now, whereas Win 7 represents all that is shiny and new. It really feels like returning to the stone age when I have to use Win XP now (somewhat akin to using a Windows 3.1 PC after using Windows 95).

Win 7's very intuitive to use, most software appears to work (and I'm using the 64 bit version, remember)... it's nothing like the dog that Vista was and the new Start Menu, Task Bar and search are a joy to use. And it's fast too.

And with Win 7 Professional (or Ultimate) you've always got Win XP mode to fall back on if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation should you feel the urge or have some obscure app or peripheral that isn't supported. :)

B

Yes.

My laptop boots XP and Linux. My desktop boots Linux and Windows 7. If you want to get a feel for whether Linux will work with your laptop get a "live disk". My recommendation would be to use the Ubuntu live disk. Ubuntu (and linux in general) is free. So you don't need to spend anything to see if it works.

I like Windows 7, have mixed experiences of Vista, and a residual affection for XP from which I have only just upgraded to Windows 7 on my personal desktop. In my private and professional life I use all three. But to avoid viruses, relax about Internet banking and do most serious stuff on my dime, I choose Linux for 90% of what I do.

I can understand why you'd avoid Vista but there isn't any reason to stick with XP unless it is purely financial. In fact, if you're planning to build a new PC, why would you want to stick with an old operating system?

There is also a lot of scaremongering among users who use linux, "if you have windows you will have viruses." This is not at all true. In reality viruses are few and far between and as long as you have a good anti-virus package, your unlikely to run into one.

we just bought a new desktop and laptop both running windows 7

Great and fast ButQuickbooks is not supported unles you buy 2010 (£300 plus) and some of our diagnostic software (automotive) will not work

Also a bar code scanner we use is now only good for a doorstop

and yes we tried running in combatibility mode .

we just bought a new desktop and laptop both running windows 7

Great and fast ButQuickbooks is not supported unles you buy 2010 (£300 plus) and some of our diagnostic software (automotive) will not work

Also a bar code scanner we use is now only good for a doorstop

and yes we tried running in combatibility mode .

Have you tried XP mode?

B

Have you tried XP mode?

B

does windows 7 have an xp mode that u can switch to?

does windows 7 have an xp mode that u can switch to?

There's an XP Mode you can download from M$... pre-requisites as stated above are Win 7 Professional or Ultimate with a CPU which supports hardware virtualisation:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

It's not a true 'XP mode' for Win 7, rather a means of running old programs and some peripherals that are incompatible with the new OS.

B

My ol' faithful Asus eeepc 700 7" Linux has been somewhat useless of late and nipped into PCworld to treat myself to the new 1005P, 11 hour battery, windows 7, 10" (wishful thinking:D. To cut a very long story short, they had 3 in stock out the back, but weren't prepared to show me one as they had all the XP netbooks to clear first! I ask you, does that make sense? I rang head office the next day and enquired if that was company policy, and apparently it'd down to the managers discretion ( now there's a word we all know!). So bollocks to them I went over to Argos and bought it. I'm on it now, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it, the battery life is awesome, I was willing it to run out! My office pc's are Vista, I dont use them much, the girls do for orders etc, but when I do use them I can generally find my way around quite easily.......... But, Windows 7, have my doubts, I can't seem to find or set anything up that easily. Might try and find this XP download that was mentioned a few posts ago.

There's an XP Mode you can download from M$... pre-requisites as stated above are Win 7 Professional or Ultimate with a CPU which supports hardware virtualisation:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

It's not a true 'XP mode' for Win 7, rather a means of running old programs and some peripherals that are incompatible with the new OS.

B

Yeah, just found that out! "You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, ":mad:

Yeah, just found that out! "You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, ":mad:

I'm sure VMware Player or Sun's VirtualBox will work OK. :eek:

(Having said that, the humble Atom CPU doesn't support hardware virtualisation, so may not work.)

Apropos your previous post about Win 7, all I can say is persevere. It's a far better OS than XP and as I mentioned previously XP seems positively antediluvian in comparison...

B

XP VM for Windows 7 works ok for most things,

don't forget, it's like running a program called windows xp inside Windows 7 so you will need a good PC setup,

& mainly due to drivers don't think you are going to play your old XP games that don't work on W7

Either the netbook or windows 7 wasn't working properly ( may have had some bearing on my posts last night :P ) so took it back this morning and went and got myself a Toshiba T110 11.6" Windows 7, on it now and its fab!

I'm sure VMware Player or Sun's VirtualBox will work OK. ;)

(Having said that, the humble Atom CPU doesn't support hardware virtualisation, so may not work.)

Apropos your previous post about Win 7, all I can say is persevere. It's a far better OS than XP and as I mentioned previously XP seems positively antediluvian in comparison...

B