JKay

Any info on Carlisle

7 posts in this topic

Is it wise to go on tour there this week with all the flooding and mobile signals down?

I ask because a wg just texted me to ask if it was a wise business move as she has booked train tickets, anyone up that way?

My experience is that there will be pockets where its damaged.  but most of the place will be absolutely fine.  and the businesses need visitors to spend money.

Plenty of fit and able police and firefighters there so I bet there will be somer willing punters! In addition they are al getting loads of overtime so will have the cash to spend.

The East end of the city seems to have been hit (Warwick road area).

The West end as far as I know is ok.

Anyone know if Pam's (long time daily sport advertiser and uses touring girls) city centre flat is flooded?

The problem is that many people who would normally travel to Carlisle from surrounding towns and villages (and they do) may also have been hit, one major link (A591) plus another road through the lakes (the Kirkstone Pass road) have each had a huge bite taken out of them (impassable between Grasmere and Keswick and will be for many months), with more rain falling the advice for many areas is currently not to travel. Now I usually shrug off bad weather, but this time I've been shocked.

I'm in a double whammy because Lancaster has been turned off for the last 2-3 days.

I would suspect that there'll be a lull, then a possible rise as contractors are drafted in. From what I've observed elsewhere in the country, any who can, is doing all day long.

This doesn't mean that she won't get any business, it's something to be aware of.

Please note that despite the serious situation in some areas that Cumbria is open for business and welcomes visitors! There are some serious issues regarding some routes and bridges but you can get to 99% of the county and in many areas it looks unharmed. Certainly the area near the river in Carlisle has taken a  big hit. As for WGs in hotels, most of the hotels are full with folk displaced from their homes so no room for WGs I would think. At least it's got rid of the Romanians!

18 minutes ago, Pennine Rover said:

Please note that despite the serious situation in some areas that Cumbria is open for business and welcomes visitors! There are some serious issues regarding some routes and bridges but you can get to 99% of the county and in many areas it looks unharmed. Certainly the area near the river in Carlisle has taken a  big hit. As for WGs in hotels, most of the hotels are full with folk displaced from their homes so no room for WGs I would think. At least it's got rid of the Romanians!

Absolutely, Cumbria is a big place and many parts are absolutely as fine as ever.

Edited by Strawberry