Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

Canadian study finds criminalization of clients reproduces harms created by the criminalization of sex workers themselves

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Canadian research suggests that criminalisation and policing strategies that target clients reproduce the harms created by the criminalisation of sex work, in particular, vulnerability to violence and HIV/STIs. The current findings support decriminalisation of sex work to ensure work conditions that support the health and safety of sex workers in Canada and globally.

http://m.bmjopen.bmj.com/content/4/6/e005191.full

Edited by Carnival

Interesting report Carnival so thanks for posting it.

Once again, this study focuses on a small number of street workers and I wonder what the figures would be for a much larger sample of WGs who advertise on the Internet. In Sweden, the home of the misguided laws that criminalise buyers, there are thousands of WGs advertising on line.Likewise, despite the police witch-hunt of punters, there are many WGs advertsing their services on-line in Vancouver.

On the general point, I have never understood why either party in a consentual transaction should be criminalised. The supporters of such laws seem to think that it will reduce demand and so reduce the amount of sex-worker traffiking, but I have never found any evidence to support this. I would have thought that any right-minded legislator would want to focus on making sex work safer for both the workers and punters, The German system of legalised brothels certainly has its faults but one thing they do well is to create a safe environment where security and rules about condom etc. use can be enforced. As the Canadian report concludes, criminalising punters has the opposite effect and it is not difficult to see why.