Daisy flowers

illness in girls

16 posts in this topic

So I have been ill a lot recently and it got me thinking that I have been doing this job for three years now so our immune system builds up. Recently though I have been falling ill a lot so I'm thinking is that actually the case? What do you girls think?

I don't think it has a lot to do with this job Daisy although it can be a factor, it could be stress related, when you're stressed your immune system is vulnerable and you tend to get ill more often. 

I was ill constantly Winter 2014, but it was because of stress, these days my immune system is very strong and (touch wood) I don't get ill! 

If you're feeling run down and not well a lot I suggest you get some Vitamin supplements, vitamin C is a good one which boots your immune system also good for your skin hair and nails. I use the ones from Superdrug they're in an orange tube, 1000mg Vitamin C & 10mg Zinc, the difference in my energy after around a week of taking them daily was crazy. Also green juices are great for the immune system so have a try. Hope that helps and get well soon! xxx

Edited by TightYoungEbony

5 minutes ago, TightYoungEbony said:

I don't think it has a lot to do with this job Daisy although it can be a factor, it could be stress related, when you're stressed your immune system is vulnerable and you tend to get ill more often. 

I was ill constantly Winter 2014, but it was because of stress, these days my immune system is very strong and (touch wood) I don't get ill! 

If you're feeling run down and not well a lot I suggest you get some Vitamin supplements, vitamin C is a good one which boots your immune system also good for your skin hair and nails. I use the ones from Superdrug they're in an orange tube, 1000mg Vitamin C & 10mg Zinc, the difference in my energy after around a week of taking them daily was crazy. Also green juices are great for the immune system so have a try. Hope that helps and get well soon! xxx

Thanks hun, I take aloe Vera gel from forever living which is top notch, I got ill a few times when I started as it was so close contact but assumed that as we are so close contact, our immune system builds up as I haven't been ill in ages. But Christmas eve I got flu which lasted two weeks. Yesterday I got a sore throat and today I have lost my voice, so was wondering if this job actually helps you stop getting ill or not. Maybe I fluke through the last couple of years not getting ill x

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Daisy flowers said:

Thanks hun, I take aloe Vera gel from forever living which is top notch, I got ill a few times when I started as it was so close contact but assumed that as we are so close contact, our immune system builds up as I haven't been ill in ages. But Christmas eve I got flu which lasted two weeks. Yesterday I got a sore throat and today I have lost my voice, so was wondering if this job actually helps you stop getting ill or not. Maybe I fluke through the last couple of years not getting ill x

I found in my earlier days if I overdid this, i.e. saw too many clients, I burned out and I was more susceptible to get ill such as colds when I then stopped for a break..  So I always try to pace myself or if I am busy, to make sure that I make spinach smoothies, take vitamins etc. One herbal supplement I swear by is Echinacea if a cold is coming on. I sort of know when I have reached my limit as to what my body can take and will take a day off to recuperate.

2 people like this

Do you drink much (alcohol)?

alcohol really kicks the immune system down.

recommend "slow release" vitamin c doctors recommend this to cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy ( radiotherapy is hard on immune system) as it is released over 24 hours rather than being excreted from system within an hour or two. 

25 minutes ago, tonybenz said:

alcohol really kicks the immune system down.

recommend "slow release" vitamin c doctors recommend this to cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy ( radiotherapy is hard on immune system) as it is released over 24 hours rather than being excreted from system within an hour or two. 

booze also causes dehydration and dehydration is very debilitating.  Guzzle lots of water or squash.

Manuka honey is very good. Expensive, but worth it. Try it with hot water, or milk, or by itself. Garlic capsules also good, but given the job Echinacea and the honey probably more customer friendly than garlic.

Do you drink much (alcohol)?

No, not really, although did drink more because of Christmas and New year but it hit me Christmas eve before I had been drinking. Could be over doing it possibly and stress could also be a factor, thanks for all your recommendations everyone, my throat is slowly reviving, hopefully I will be well for good now lol x

1 person likes this

I think it's a bit like any other profession where you're in close contact with lots of people. You're sick a lot to begin with, but gradually you make it out the other side with an immune system of steel.

But then, the odd jetsetting client from Australia shows up, with new strains of cold and flu, and ruins everything. :P

Definately take zinc and vitamin c .......and sleep!.

All I can add to this is that for whatever reason the common cold that used to be with us for a few days where you had a snuffly nose, bit of a sore throat and a mild cough now seems to last much longer, a month or so sometimes and now it's a totally blocked or runny nose, raging sort throat and a hacking cough that simply wont go away and with a frequency that can really get you down..Maybe long haul travel, and air-con cabins has meant that a good amount of various flu like bug are brought to the UK and where many of us have not had an opportunity to build up an immune system to them.

I'm not a fan of prescribed medicine or useless cough mixtures finding a warm water with a slice of lemon with the occasional spoon of honey seems to help ease thingsand for the last however many years I've taken a codliver oil tablet every day without fail.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, EnjoyEmily said:

All I can add to this is that for whatever reason the common cold that used to be with us for a few days where you had a snuffly nose, bit of a sore throat and a mild cough now seems to last much longer, a month or so sometimes and now it's a totally blocked or runny nose, raging sort throat and a hacking cough that simply wont go away and with a frequency that can really get you down..Maybe long haul travel, and air-con cabins has meant that a good amount of various flu like bug are brought to the UK and where many of us have not had an opportunity to build up an immune system to them.

I'm not a fan of prescribed medicine or useless cough mixtures finding a warm water with a slice of lemon with the occasional spoon of honey seems to help ease thingsand for the last however many years I've taken a codliver oil tablet every day without fail.

Codliver oil! That takes me back. I'd no idea it was still around. When I was a little lad in the fifties my parents dosed me on milk of magnesia and codliver oil every evening at bathtime.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

Codliver oil! That takes me back. I'd no idea it was still around. When I was a little lad in the fifties my parents dosed me on milk of magnesia and codliver oil every evening at bathtime.

We got codliver oil, malt extract and something masquerading as orange juice, all courtesy of the NHS I think.  We were obviously in danger of being malnourished in those days, not like the healthy diets common now.  :wacko:   Codliver oil is all the rage now marketed as omega 3.

Edited by robert49

Only problem with the cod liver oil capsules is if they split when takling them, I've experienced it a couple of times and you sure know what fish breath really does taste like.  :D

On 01/03/2016 at 10:22 PM, EnjoyEmily said:

Only problem with the cod liver oil capsules is if they split when takling them, I've experienced it a couple of times and you sure know what fish breath really does taste like.  :D

It came by the teaspoonful when I was little,  Lucky kids don't think about bad breath.  :unsure:

On channel 5 now, "The Woman Who Smells of Fish".  Not sure whether it's her breath.