Carnival

A ground-breaking “managed area” for street prostitution in Leeds has been made permanent after a 12-month pilot

38 posts in this topic

The controversial scheme, which allows sex workers to ply their trade in a designated part of Holbeck from 7pm to 7am, will continue indefinitely.

City chiefs are now considering how the scheme could be modified, including a recommendation that the hours women are allowed to work are extended.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/pioneering-managed-area-for-leeds-sex-workers-will-be-made-permanent-1-7666239

1 person likes this

Three cheers for common sense !!

Let's hope the feminazzis , religions zealots , moralists  et al  keep their noses out

Hold on a minute. I though kerb crawling was made illegal. Also Leeds police are donkeys since they virtually shut down all massage parlours in the city centre.

god that area is a shithole.  always has been

trade must have been hard cos it was flooded recently.  the street name 'water lane' is a clue.

The controversial scheme, which allows sex workers to ply their trade in a designated part of Holbeck from 7pm to 7am, will continue indefinitely.

City chiefs are now considering how the scheme could be modified, including a recommendation that the hours women are allowed to work are extended.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/pioneering-managed-area-for-leeds-sex-workers-will-be-made-permanent-1-7666239

On the face of it this seems a very common sense proposal. However, the comments in the subsequent posts lead me to think there may be mor to this than meets the eye.

A police officer spoke about this at the UKNSWP/NUM 2015 conference. They'd tried the conventional approach, and it wasn't working, so they brought in these tolerance zones which has improved safety and communication between the women and the police.

A police officer spoke about this at the UKNSWP/NUM 2015 conference. They'd tried the conventional approach, and it wasn't working, so they brought in these tolerance zones which has improved safety and communication between the women and the police.

It begs the question  "do you still get nicked for kerbcrawling ? "

So streetworking is tolerated but off the street brothel working is not tolerated. Glad this is happening regarding the safety zones but really there are some sqewered views in Leeds if they think its better to encourage safety on the street yet close down brothels that also offer safety and might push some girls onto the streets who otherwise wouldnt be there. Its unlikely,, those women would probably just work indie or go to brothels in other towns but really, the thought process behind the whole situation to me seems a bit fucked. The term managed is also a misrepresentation. It doesnt appear to be managed to me, it just appears that  sex workers wont be arrested if they are found to be working there and there is ONE officer in the area. A woman was assaulted there just a few weeks ago, hardly seems to me to be any safer than working on any other street. If they want to use the term managed then they need to put a bit more security thought into it. Its a good start but has a long way to go

Edited by Chloe Kisses
2 people like this

Interesting comment regarding the business owner whos carpark is always full of condoms, why is it  not possible for street workers to carry a plastic bag to put their used condoms in, why do they leave them on the floor for people to see, sorry but perhaps a few manditory "social responsibility" lessons need to be doled out while they are on the subject. Its not fair on local residents, the sex workers are not the only ones to consider in a zone such as this, surely the business owners and residents have the right not to have to see used condoms every morning. Respect earns respect, you cant expect it without giving it. Sorry, its just disgusting. I know some girls dont feel they have a choice to be on the streets but they all buy food and pay that 5p for a carrier bag, use it.

6 hours ago, Chloe Kisses said:

Interesting comment regarding the business owner whos carpark is always full of condoms, why is it  not possible for street workers to carry a plastic bag to put their used condoms in, why do they leave them on the floor for people to see, sorry but perhaps a few manditory "social responsibility" lessons need to be doled out while they are on the subject. Its not fair on local residents, the sex workers are not the only ones to consider in a zone such as this, surely the business owners and residents have the right not to have to see used condoms every morning. Respect earns respect, you cant expect it without giving it. Sorry, its just disgusting. I know some girls dont feel they have a choice to be on the streets but they all buy food and pay that 5p for a carrier bag, use it.

How do you know that it's sex workers, and not the clients pulling them off and chucking them on the floor afterwards?

I used to visit this area in 2003/4 and some of the women were not there of their own choice. I was dead set against the banning of kerb crawling but now I believe managed areas shouldn't be tolerated. Why if a father accidently drives through the area with his young daughters? What does he tell them?

Managed areas cannot work because they will be out in the cold, no sanitation, no food, no breaks and no safety. Leeds police are lucky the gun toting gangster of Manchester having moved over!

26 minutes ago, met012 said:

I used to visit this area in 2003/4 and some of the women were not there of their own choice. I was dead set against the banning of kerb crawling but now I believe managed areas shouldn't be tolerated. Why if a father accidently drives through the area with his young daughters? What does he tell them?

Managed areas cannot work because they will be out in the cold, no sanitation, no food, no breaks and no safety. Leeds police are lucky the gun toting gangster of Manchester having moved over!

So if he drives down there with his sons does that makes a difference?

10 hours ago, Chloe Kisses said:

So streetworking is tolerated but off the street brothel working is not tolerated. Glad this is happening regarding the safety zones but really there are some sqewered views in Leeds if they think its better to encourage safety on the street yet close down brothels that also offer safety and might push some girls onto the streets who otherwise wouldnt be there. Its unlikely,, those women would probably just work indie or go to brothels in other towns but really, the thought process behind the whole situation to me seems a bit fucked. The term managed is also a misrepresentation. It doesnt appear to be managed to me, it just appears that  sex workers wont be arrested if they are found to be working there and there is ONE officer in the area. A woman was assaulted there just a few weeks ago, hardly seems to me to be any safer than working on any other street. If they want to use the term managed then they need to put a bit more security thought into it. Its a good start but has a long way to go

Exactly this.It is not managed,its merely a tolerence zone.In law this mean nothing and if figures are a bit short and the copper involved is having a bad day he'll still nick you for kerb crawling.As for safety,the article i read stated the last lady murdered there was in december,so within the supposed managed time frame.It seems to have far more to do with keeping a "problem" in one area and freeing up police resources rather than any sort of enlightened beliefs or thoughts about the trade.

4 hours ago, Strawberry said:

How do you know that it's sex workers, and not the clients pulling them off and chucking them on the floor afterwards?

This is true but surely the sex workers can pick them up and store them in a placcy bag till they get to a bin. Just no excuse, all she has to say is "stick it in here love" when they are finished. When im finished with a client I dont let them do what they want with the condom, I put it in a bag and put it in the bin, I dont just let them pull it off and dump it anywhere

Imagine this scenario strawbs. You have a very long term and very trusted client who wants a bit of out door fun, as its him you agree. When you are finished would you allow him to just yang the jonny on the floor then walk off and leave it there or would you have a little bag ready for the goo bag to be popped into? Please dont say "oh i wouldnt do it outside", its a hypothetical question.

Edited by Chloe Kisses

I'd have a bag, however I have no knowledge of the exact practicalities of working on the streets. For all I know they could be discarded when out of reach, or be difficult to see in the dark. 

My guess is that safety and the next trick is more important than chasing a Punter with a bag. 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Chloe Kisses said:

This is true but surely the sex workers can pick them up and store them in a placcy bag till they get to a bin. Just no excuse, all she has to say is "stick it in here love" when they are finished. When im finished with a client I dont let them do what they want with the condom, I put it in a bag and put it in the bin, I dont just let them pull it off and dump it anywhere

Imagine this scenario strawbs. You have a very long term and very trusted client who wants a bit of out door fun, as its him you agree. When you are finished would you allow him to just yang the jonny on the floor then walk off and leave it there or would you have a little bag ready for the goo bag to be popped into? Please dont say "oh i wouldnt do it outside", its a hypothetical question.

My experience is from 10 years ago but many of the 'workers' were not there by choice and on either Class B or A drug addicts. They just want to get some money to feed their habit. As I stated earlier no sanitation, food or heating. So much for the police helping the vulnerable.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, met012 said:

My experience is from 10 years ago but many of the 'workers' were not there by choice and on either Class B or A drug addicts. They just want to get some money to feed their habit. As I stated earlier no sanitation, food or heating. So much for the police helping the vulnerable.

The hypothetical scenario doesn't stand because I'm not someone who doesn't have the luxury of taking my time, with a vetted-trusted client who I have built up an equal rapport with, I also don't have an addiction taking over my actions, and am not working in pure survival mode - which is what I imagine street workers are often doing.

On 1/14/2016 at 4:19 PM, met012 said:

the area is not on the way to anywhere.  its just grotty industrial units.   no housing.

On 16 January 2016 at 9:05 PM, Coventrypunter said:

the area is not on the way to anywhere.  its just grotty industrial units.   no housing.

That maybe the case but do you want to stand in the recent freezing cold weather between 7:00pm and 7:00am?

Looks like there was a feature on this on Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4 earlier today (Thursday). 

A street prostitution zone has been made a permanent fixture in Leeds. How does a managed area of prostitution operate? Julie Bindel, writer and feminist activist and Dr Belinda Brooks-Gordon, reader in Psychology and Social Policy at Birkbeck, University of London give the arguments for and against?

You can stream or download the programme at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06wg9f0

10 hours ago, Carnival said:

Looks like there was a feature on this on Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4 earlier today (Thursday). 

A street prostitution zone has been made a permanent fixture in Leeds. How does a managed area of prostitution operate? Julie Bindel, writer and feminist activist and Dr Belinda Brooks-Gordon, reader in Psychology and Social Policy at Birkbeck, University of London give the arguments for and against?

You can stream or download the programme at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06wg9f0

Well I have to say that having listened to the item in yesterday's Woman's Hour, it was one of the most unenlightening bits of coverage of the topic for some time. I think anyone coming to the issue of prostitution policy options for the first time would have left feeling completely confused.

Of course there won't be rapes or violence reported in areas of the US where prostitution is illegal.

The other thing which jumped out was the statement that it's buyers of sex which commit crimes. Robbers don't set out with the intention to pay for sex, they set out with the intention to rob (same for rapists, murderers) which usually means not paying. Some men who don't pay for sex also commit crimes against sex workers, I know that because it happened to me. So with that logic we might as well criminalise everyone, punter or not 'just in case they are ever violent towards women'.

Edited by Strawberry
1 person likes this

18 hours ago, Strawberry said:

Some men who don't pay for sex also commit crimes against sex workers

Very true. An interesting example here.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/burglary-gang-jailed-for-blackmailing-leeds-sex-worker-1-7691293

Reassuring to see that the sex worker concerned was not named in the press report. I wonder whether that was common decency on the part of the Yorkshire Evening Post or whether her name was not revealed in court or whether an embargo was placed by the court on it being published.

2 hours ago, Carnival said:

Very true. An interesting example here.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/latest-news/top-stories/burglary-gang-jailed-for-blackmailing-leeds-sex-worker-1-7691293

Reassuring to see that the sex worker concerned was not named in the press report. I wonder whether that was common decency on the part of the Yorkshire Evening Post or whether her name was not revealed in court or whether an embargo was placed by the court on it being published.

That is the usual procedure but all too often the embargo fails to hold for very long.