Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guru696969

New Legislation

19 posts in this topic

"officials believe that most prostitutes-possibly as many as 9 in 10-are forced into the sex trade"

WTF planet do these "officials" live on!

probably never. Just a proposal and all the editorials I've read that have given an opinion have been against it. Only 2 were for and both were feminist writers (Fiona MacTaggart MP and Joan Smith)

Even The Sun was against it FFS. It'll never get through the House of Commons and the House of Lords with strict liability, and if they remove that it becomes unenforceable and they won't pass unenforceable laws either.

It's currently only at the stage of a draft bill at best. It will take months to go through both houses of Parliament and even then, there's no guarantee it will be passed without considerable amendment.

There could still be a general election in the mean time to cause it to be lost.

There is more chance of father christmas coming down your chimney than these laws getting through the house of lords in my opinion. :eek:

There is more chance of father christmas coming down your chimney

You mean I've been leaving the glass of whiskey and mince pie out for nothing?? :eek:

PS - sorry, back on topic - I agree with you steveherts

There is more chance of father christmas coming down your chimney than these laws getting through the house of lords in my opinion. :eek:

Don't fool yourself, because it will.

probably never. Just a proposal and all the editorials I've read that have given an opinion have been against it. Only 2 were for and both were feminist writers (Fiona MacTaggart MP and Joan Smith)

Even The Sun was against it FFS. It'll never get through the House of Commons and the House of Lords with strict liability, and if they remove that it becomes unenforceable and they won't pass unenforceable laws either.

The Hunting Act is unenforceable yet they passed it, using the Parliement Act FFS.

It's currently only at the stage of a draft bill at best. It will take months to go through both houses of Parliament and even then, there's no guarantee it will be passed without considerable amendment.

There could still be a general election in the mean time to cause it to be lost.

Its not even a Draft Bill yet, purely a policy statement.

Don't fool yourself, because it will.

I agree with you Xenia. The only thing that will stop it is a change of government at the next General Election.

It's so bizarre that people actually think the legislation has already been passed.

New legislation takes months if not years to go through parliament.

And believe me, there'll be a new bloody government before this proposed law is passed.

And they'll be an equally self serving hypocritical bunch of tossers :D

In fact as they will be Tories they'll possibly be even worse in many ways :rolleyes:

Although at least they might not meddle so much :eek:

In general - there is a small majority in favour of keeping prostitution legal, strangely the majority rises slightly for the over 45s-60s (courtesy of a Baby Boomer upbringing presumably).

Getting people to vote along these lines is a different matter, and in any election prostitution is going to be a small issue. Unless a leader of one of the parties gets caught with his trousers down.

The new legislation is a silly half way house, there are some benefits to banning it altogether, and a few more to a well regulated legality. The current proposed legislation will just make things worse.

The government won't actually admit it's culpability in increasing the flow of trafficking, and will not investigate the major trafficking routes because they cross the borders of sensitive foreign partners.

And believe me, there'll be a new bloody government before this proposed law is passed.

And they'll be an equally self serving hypocritical bunch of tossers :D

In fact as they will be Tories they'll possibly be even worse in many ways :rolleyes:

Although at least they might not meddle so much :eek:

Nik, I always go out of my way to defend you from those who think you're just a miserable old git, but just take a look at this sequence of sentences. Grumpy old man? No, worse. 'I won't, I just WON'T be happy.'

"Ms Smith yesterday published the results of a six-month review into prostitution laws that was designed to find ways of reducing demand among the tens of thousands of men who are thought to use prostitutes each year.

Estimates suggest that there are about 80,000 people working as prostitutes in Britain, with 1,500 brothels in London alone. "

So, if there are 80,000 prostitutes, but tens of thousands of punters(presumably a figure below 100,000?), that's quite a good ratio.......

Nik, I always go out of my way to defend you from those who think you're just a miserable old git, but just take a look at this sequence of sentences. Grumpy old man? No, worse. 'I won't, I just WON'T be happy.'

Just realistic man!

I agree with you Xenia. The only thing that will stop it is a change of government at the next General Election.

No - I wouldn't say the chances are less than father xmas coming down the chimney but they are extremely low. The govt wanted the 42 day detention thing even more than this but that was defeated. Obviously this isn't as big an issue as that but since the policy was officially announced there's been no independent support for it. The list of those speaking in favour of it is as follows

Harriet Harman (feminist MP)

Jacqui Smith (feminist MP)

Fiona MacTaggart (feminist MP)

Vernon Coaker

Denis MacShane

Joan Smith (feminist writer)

I haven't read anything in the press supporting these proposals outside of that group. Obviously the Deputy PM and Home secretary are powerful members but with the huge amount of opposition even from some feminists e.g. Germaine Greer. there's very little chance of it getting proposed in the house of commons as a proper bill to be voted on. Not in the current format anyway.

you can't hold punters in strict liability when the traffickers themselves are not held so responsible. When a punter who sleeps with a 13 year old girl can avoid prosecution if he can show he had no way of knowing she was 13.

How is that going to help?

Even if they announced an election tomorrow (unlikely even in these odd times), they'd still have time to get the legislation through.

Once it's on the statute books, it ain't coming off again.

No - I wouldn't say the chances are less than father xmas coming down the chimney but they are extremely low. The govt wanted the 42 day detention thing even more than this but that was defeated. Obviously this isn't as big an issue as that but since the policy was officially announced there's been no independent support for it. The list of those speaking in favour of it is as follows

Harriet Harman (feminist MP)

Jacqui Smith (feminist MP)

Fiona MacTaggart (feminist MP)

Vernon Coaker

Denis MacShane

Joan Smith (feminist writer)

I haven't read anything in the press supporting these proposals outside of that group. Obviously the Deputy PM and Home secretary are powerful members but with the huge amount of opposition even from some feminists e.g. Germaine Greer. there's very little chance of it getting proposed in the house of commons as a proper bill to be voted on. Not in the current format anyway.

you can't hold punters in strict liability when the traffickers themselves are not held so responsible. When a punter who sleeps with a 13 year old girl can avoid prosecution if he can show he had no way of knowing she was 13.

Vera Baird, the Solicitor General, also keeps on speaking in favour of the proposed law. Additionally, Gordon Brown himself has apparently supported the move:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/09/05/labour-plan-to-outlaw-sex-for-sale-115875-20724367/

Have any high profile politicans spoken out against the proposed law? I think Theresa May has expressed some doubt, but have the Tories or the LibDems indicated a party position?

As the punters who post here go on thier travels (punting) I wondered what the awareness was amongst the girls in parlours that the golden goose is being prepared for the oven.

All the ones Ive seen have simply no idea it impacts on them (commercially) and if you tell them , all you get is the' it will never happen 'attitude (which is what they all said about newspaper adverts being stopped.)

Maybe it might help if they all knew and apprieciated as some of them might just be prepared to fight the issues and face the media with the truer picture of WGs

just a thought