Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlickWilly

Can Leicester City Do I?

47 posts in this topic

In view of their magnificent victory over City today, surely they are serious premiership contenders now! Their next game is against The Arsenal at the Emirates and after that they have a relatively easy run in, until their last 3 games - Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea!
I'm not a Leicester City fan as such and they don't have any Irish players, but boy I wish them all the best in this endeavour! It's calssic David V Goliath stuff and if they do win the title, it will surely be the greatest shock in football ever! Mind you, Burnley won the old First Division in the 60s and Portsmouth twice in a row after the war!

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, SlickWilly said:

In view of their magnificent victory over City today, surely they are serious premiership contenders now! Their next game is against The Arsenal at the Emirates and after that they have a relatively easy run in, until their last 3 games - Man Utd, Everton and Chelsea!
I'm not a Leicester City fan as such and they don't have any Irish players, but boy I wish them all the best in this endeavour! It's calssic David V Goliath stuff and if they do win the title, it will surely be the greatest shock in football ever! Mind you, Burnley won the old First Division in the 60s and Portsmouth twice in a row after the war!

Those days were golden in that the players were almost all representative of the home countries, and small teams could aspire to great things.

I do hope Leicester City win the title, it would be great to see the 'big' teams monopoly broken and if the Foxes continue playing as they are at present there is absolutley no reason why they should not win. Here's hoping. Bottoms up!!

3 people like this

I am a derby fan

but come on leicester!

3 people like this

20 hours ago, Beenaboutabit said:

Those days were golden in that the players were almost all representative of the home countries, and small teams could aspire to great things.

I do hope Leicester City win the title, it would be great to see the 'big' teams monopoly broken and if the Foxes continue playing as they are at present there is absolutley no reason why they should not win. Here's hoping. Bottoms up!!

20 hours ago, SlickWilly said:

Burnley was an excellent team in those days, and Portsmouth in the 50,s were one of the best teams in the land.That was when clubs did not buy the league, and in August no one could predict who would win the title.I sincerely hope that Leicester will do it this season.

Blackburn managed it, Nottingham Forest too all those years ago so Leicester ha ve an absolutely great chance and it would be nice to shake it all up a little...

great possiblity that neither Liverpool, Man Utd Or Chelsea getting top four...what a turn up!!!!

Blackburn, like Chelsea, Man City, bought it.Better comparisons are Derby and Forest, maybe Villa - all a long time ago.

Leicester will deserve it

The team above the star player(s)

On 06/02/2016 at 3:40 PM, SlickWilly said:

I am not into football but I pay attention to what all the people around me seem to care and one is a Leicester City fan for several decades.  Personally I would like them to win purely for the reasons you stated above and show the finger to all these multi million pound 'swingers', yet we all know who is going to unfortunately win.

On 07/02/2016 at 6:53 PM, Hero said:

Blackburn managed it, Nottingham Forest too all those years ago so Leicester ha ve an absolutely great chance and it would be nice to shake it all up a little...

great possiblity that neither Liverpool, Man Utd Or Chelsea getting top four...what a turn up!!!!

The smaller teams that do it - like Derby and Forest - always go back to where they belong. Clough took Derby and Forest up from the second tier and stuffed the football elite from those days - as I hope Leicester will do - somehow though I doubt if they will keep it up.

I hope that the Foxes prevail, even though it means that my team can only come second. Such a victory would be very good for football and might make some of the "bigger" clubs realise that it's not all about the money.

6 hours ago, erictheidol said:

I hope that the Foxes prevail, even though it means that my team can only come second. Such a victory would be very good for football and might make some of the "bigger" clubs realise that it's not all about the money.

hope they do it - though they will bomb out of the champions league if they get there a la blackburn rovers

They are experiencing a slight wobble. Norwich and WBA should have been less of a problem that they were, but I still think they will get there, by only a whisker maybe, but that would be quite good enough. Fingers crossed.

Last night their nearest rivals, three in all, stumbled to defeat, the dream goes on!

The others are running out of games and I see Sir Alex has tipped them to win it with 3 games to spare and in a dig at LVG, The Hammers to get a Champions League place!

14 hours ago, SlickWilly said:

The others are running out of games and I see Sir Alex has tipped them to win it with 3 games to spare and in a dig at LVG, The Hammers to get a Champions League place!

True enough, the remaining games are down to 720mins of football plus a few for 'time added on.' I don't think they are playing their best at the moment, but the spirit and belief within the side is getting them through. I read somewhere that at this time last year they had 5 less points than Newcastle have this year! Almost unreal, Roy of the Rovers stuff.

On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:15 PM, lancelot said:

hope they do it - though they will bomb out of the champions league if they get there a la blackburn rovers

That may well be so, but the young guys in the side will have taken a huge amount from the experience. I wish them luck.

wow - 8 points clear.

this looks like the biggest upset in premiership history - biggest thing in football since Forest won it in 79

still - Forest will be a hard act to follow with 2 euro cup victories back to back and numerous league cup wins

I am told they were 5,000-1 before the season started .....

I hope Mrs Lineker is getting ready to wash and iron Gary's Calvin Kleins!

Surely Man City are gone now!

Spurs on the verge of dropping 2 points at Anfield!

8/15 favourites now, surely a win today and they're on their way!

1-0

barring a major collapse it's looking like it's in the bag.

Christ - what times for the city of Leicester

Seven points lead, six games to play ...... I hope with all my heart they do it. It would be wonderful for English football.

wrong thread I know but just heard england conceded 4 sixes in the last over to lose the T20 final - I dont know who bowled the last over but I suspect he's suffering from shell shock - what a choker!