Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lisa

Social study: I need your help!

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have always been interested in sexuality: what does that bring to people? how do we live it, depending on our sex, age, gender etc.

That is partly why I am studying Sociology at the university. I am currently working on a study about the sex industry, and I really need your help. Let me explain: I'm studying how virtual communities like Punternet helped people to break their fears about looking for sexual activities, and how these communities work. I am focusing on a particular phenomena, that I have called "liveshow". I would like you to take a few minutes to answer the questions below, so that I have precise datas about these kind of practices. Of course, you  may conserve your anonymity. I really want to make clear the fact that I will study your answers without judgement or anything: Sociology is a science, so it remains neutral. If you decide to help me, you will only help opening society's mind. Of course, you are not forced to answer everything, you definitly must feel confortable answering these questions.

 

Questions:

1/The web and many websites provide anonymity. Did that encourage you to subscribe to some website, particularily the ones about sexuality'

2/Did this anonymity and the virtual comunities allow you to take part to new sexual practicies? If it is so, could you pleas indicate which ones?

3/ Would you have tried this kind of sexual practicies without the existence of the web?

4/ Have you ever participated to this practice: getting naked in front of a webcam and touching yourself/doing a striptease in order to earn money? Or have you ever payed someone to do it? If you did, could you describe how it took place?

5/ How would you name the practice describe at the point 4?

Please reply to;   heloise.marcacci@unine.ch

Thank you so much for participating! If you want to, I can give you the results of the study as soon as it is all done.

Lisa :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lisa, 

Yes to questions 1 to 3. New practices included 3some and CIM No to question 4, which i would describe as sex work.

In answer  to other questions. It is not just the anonymity which is important (essential). What becomes more important is the fact that the PN "community" is about mainstream people discussing a whole range of issues, which include sex.

The contributors are about as diverse in ethnicity, age, and political views, as you can get. I can only speak for myself, and say that I feel confident about expressing my views because of the anonymity  i value the good advise that is given by both service suppliers and customers (particularly on health and safety) and I ennjoy the banter.

Both customers and suppliers are often articulate and inteligent, neither fit a media perception. The former do not rely on escorts for sex, but enjoy having sex with escorts and are happy to pay for it. (We are happy to pay for something we could get without paying, because the sex is often very good and can be separated from our daily lives).

The Independent suppliers I have met have been warm and witty and committed to providing an excellent customer service. In fact more committed to excellent service than most people working in a service industry. The agency workers i have met  have mainly been good. 

As an aside, I have only met one service provider who wanted to discuss sexuality.(as opposed to sex). She entered the industy through web camming, but could not make much money. She told me, that one of her webcam clients gave her the name of an agency and suggested escorting. That was in 2014, and she is still working in the industry. She was interested in gender, ethnicity, and sexuality.

There have though been lots of discussions on this forum about sex and race, sex and disability, sex and age, respect, pricing, marketing, All good research subjects.

Good luck with the research, it would be useful if it contributes to  the evidence base to overturn the "Swedish model".

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch my anonymity online all the time online. I do other blogs nothing to do with sex and am anonymous there too. And its why I eschew arsebook.

So praps you need to take a step back and consider why people want online anonymity. and why do many have an email address that does contain their name?

Newspapers use a product called disqus to manage comments. How many members display real names?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Enquire,

Thanks a lot for your answer, that is very helpful and interesting. 

Would you like me to send you the results of the study once it is done?

Warm regards,

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Coventrypunter said:

I watch my anonymity online all the time online. I do other blogs nothing to do with sex and am anonymous there too. And its why I eschew arsebook.

So praps you need to take a step back and consider why people want online anonymity. and why do many have an email address that does contain their name?

Newspapers use a product called disqus to manage comments. How many members display real names?

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. Of course, anonymity is very useful online for a lot of other situations, but it is not necesserily related to my study. The thing is I need to stay focus on my topic, otherwise it becomes too unclear and complicated. So what I was trying to discover is: does anonymity help/encourage people to try new sexual practices? Do the virtual comunities like Punternet help people try new things they would not have tried otherwise?

But you made a point and your asnwer is accurate. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lisa said:

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. Of course, anonymity is very useful online for a lot of other situations, but it is not necesserily related to my study. The thing is I need to stay focus on my topic, otherwise it becomes too unclear and complicated. So what I was trying to discover is: does anonymity help/encourage people to try new sexual practices? Do the virtual comunities like Punternet help people try new things they would not have tried otherwise?

But you made a point and your asnwer is accurate. Thanks!

No anonymity didn't help me.  finding WG's did.  I have done stuff with WG's i never thought of with the missus.  The internet has made punting a viable activity that is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lisa, 

Are you asking these questions to other sites- swinging forums for example might be better suited to your study.

Also, do you not also need to know the age and gender of the person responding and aren't your open ended questions going to be terribly hard to collate?

Trying to be helpful not critical! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MinxyLydia said:

Lisa, 

Are you asking these questions to other sites- swinging forums for example might be better suited to your study.

Also, do you not also need to know the age and gender of the person responding and aren't your open ended questions going to be terribly hard to collate?

Trying to be helpful not critical! 

Hi,

Thanks  a lot for your help! I find very nice that you all seem to care about the way I could feel, or that you try to help me finding the best results I can collect. The thing is, as I explained in my post, that I am doing a social study: The questions I posted here are very well prepared, and the choice of Punternet too. I am doing a similar work on other websites, don't worry. This study is not about sex or gender, or at least, for the moment that is not what I am focusing on, even if that would be interesting if you agree to give me these indications. What I am trying to know is: do virtual communities like Punternet, and the anonymity offered by the web, help people to try new sexual practices? and if it is so, do some of you once tried the "liveshow"? Actually, this practice is a point to enter these topics and to study them through a restricted frame, otherwise it would be very complicated to analyse everything. And, you know, as all sciences, Sociology gets very complicated from time to time... That's the reason why you don't have to worry about the way I am trying to get the results I am looking for, I have thought and worked on it for a long time!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lisa,

1/The web and many websites provide anonymity. Did that encourage you to subscribe to some website, particularly the ones about sexuality'

Yes, I would probably still read sites like Punternet etc. provided I could delete browsing history etc. However, I would not contribute to forums like this without anonymity because once a post is on the Internet it could pop up anywhere!

2/Did this anonymity and the virtual communities allow you to take part to new sexual practices? If it is so, could you pleas indicate which ones?

No. I began punting before working girls advertised widely on the Internet. We used to find service providers through adverts in local papers, news agents etc. The Internet has made it easier to find particular services, for example Parties, girls of a specific ethnicity etc. The old ways of finding sexual services were also anonymous.  

3/ Would you have tried this kind of sexual practices without the existence of the web?

Yes, but they would be harder to find.

4/ Have you ever participated to this practice: getting naked in front of a webcam and touching yourself/doing a striptease in order to earn money? Or have you ever payed someone to do it? If you did, could you describe how it took place?

No, never used webcam service, I prefer the real thing!

5/ How would you name the practice describe at the point 4?

Not applicable

Just to add a final comment - The service providers on here are probably better informed, but it seems to me that the Internet has reduced the number of street workers, which has to be a good thing. The data supposedly pointing to the success of the 'Swedish Model' apparently comes from a limited study of the number of street workers in Stockholm, but anyone who cares to look will find hundreds of sex workers advertising on line there. This is consistent with my own findings on the effect of prohibition which was introduced in Northern Ireland last June. There has been no measurable reduction in the number of sex workers advertising on line there (see legalities and legislation forum on here).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, Lisa said:

Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. Of course, anonymity is very useful online for a lot of other situations, but it is not necesserily related to my study. The thing is I need to stay focus on my topic, otherwise it becomes too unclear and complicated. So what I was trying to discover is: does anonymity help/encourage people to try new sexual practices? Do the virtual comunities like Punternet help people try new things they would not have tried otherwise?

But you made a point and your asnwer is accurate. Thanks!

My interest or activity as a punter pre-dates the time when the internet became a source of information.  Anonymity is important, and even with anonymity it is wise to be circumspect about just how much personal information you disclose.  One or two posters on here have disclosed too much info in the past, they have usually been advised against doing this by fellow posters. I can think of one instance when such a poster fell out with someone else and the result, because his real identity was traceable through his posts, was that his presence on punternet crossed over into his working and public life.  IIRC he was suspended from his job.  There is still a substantial social stigma attached to the sexwork industry, both as provider or user.  It could be an interesting area to research ;)

In terms of new sexual practices, I'd say that I already knew of a pretty broad spectrum of activity before joining this forum.  I have learned of other practices since joining, and have tried and enjoyed a few, but I would add that I've also learned of other practices that I would absolutely never wish to try!

Webcamming is not my thing as a provider or consumer.

I think Lydia posted above mentioning other online communities, and I would add that it is imo a mistake to over-compartmentalise sexual practices or the participants.  Specifically I think that you will find that many providers and for that matter some punters will have participated in the swinging scene as well as paid sex.  We don't all fit into neat boxes which will make your studies that bit harder.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/2/2016 at 11:34 AM, Dave451 said:

Hi Lisa,

1/The web and many websites provide anonymity. Did that encourage you to subscribe to some website, particularly the ones about sexuality'

Yes, I would probably still read sites like Punternet etc. provided I could delete browsing history etc. However, I would not contribute to forums like this without anonymity because once a post is on the Internet it could pop up anywhere!

2/Did this anonymity and the virtual communities allow you to take part to new sexual practices? If it is so, could you pleas indicate which ones?

No. I began punting before working girls advertised widely on the Internet. We used to find service providers through adverts in local papers, news agents etc. The Internet has made it easier to find particular services, for example Parties, girls of a specific ethnicity etc. The old ways of finding sexual services were also anonymous.  

3/ Would you have tried this kind of sexual practices without the existence of the web?

Yes, but they would be harder to find.

4/ Have you ever participated to this practice: getting naked in front of a webcam and touching yourself/doing a striptease in order to earn money? Or have you ever payed someone to do it? If you did, could you describe how it took place?

No, never used webcam service, I prefer the real thing!

5/ How would you name the practice describe at the point 4?

Not applicable

Just to add a final comment - The service providers on here are probably better informed, but it seems to me that the Internet has reduced the number of street workers, which has to be a good thing. The data supposedly pointing to the success of the 'Swedish Model' apparently comes from a limited study of the number of street workers in Stockholm, but anyone who cares to look will find hundreds of sex workers advertising on line there. This is consistent with my own findings on the effect of prohibition which was introduced in Northern Ireland last June. There has been no measurable reduction in the number of sex workers advertising on line there (see legalities and legislation forum on here).

 

Hi,

Thank you very much! This is very interesting and helpful. 

Would you like me to send you the study once it is all done?

Warm regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/2/2016 at 0:42 PM, TheVicar said:

My interest or activity as a punter pre-dates the time when the internet became a source of information.  Anonymity is important, and even with anonymity it is wise to be circumspect about just how much personal information you disclose.  One or two posters on here have disclosed too much info in the past, they have usually been advised against doing this by fellow posters. I can think of one instance when such a poster fell out with someone else and the result, because his real identity was traceable through his posts, was that his presence on punternet crossed over into his working and public life.  IIRC he was suspended from his job.  There is still a substantial social stigma attached to the sexwork industry, both as provider or user.  It could be an interesting area to research ;)

In terms of new sexual practices, I'd say that I already knew of a pretty broad spectrum of activity before joining this forum.  I have learned of other practices since joining, and have tried and enjoyed a few, but I would add that I've also learned of other practices that I would absolutely never wish to try!

Webcamming is not my thing as a provider or consumer.

I think Lydia posted above mentioning other online communities, and I would add that it is imo a mistake to over-compartmentalise sexual practices or the participants.  Specifically I think that you will find that many providers and for that matter some punters will have participated in the swinging scene as well as paid sex.  We don't all fit into neat boxes which will make your studies that bit harder.

 

Hi!

Thanks a lot for these interesting comments, I will definitely take them into account!

Would you like me to send you the results of the study by the time it is achieved?

Warm regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0