Tarquin

Is it safe to remove earlier versions

9 posts in this topic

of programs such as Java, adobe etc and does anyone know how to sucessfuly remove Norton Personal Firewall?

of programs such as Java, adobe etc and does anyone know how to sucessfuly remove Norton Personal Firewall?

Should be. Do you mean you actully got two of the same program installed just different versions?

Should be fine installing the old ones of Java and Adobe. Just be careful if there are any registration settings (I dont think Java uses may have a JAVA_HOME user setting pointing to the folder to use java in the environment settings)

Just make sure they are pointing to the latest versions you need and make sure any file associations arent pointing to the removed version

Best bet is to use the 'add or remove program' in control panels if u are using XP.

Best bet is to use the 'add or remove program' in control panels if u are using XP.

Yes, I've tried that using the Remove and the Change Button, but it just will not budge!

Should be. Do you mean you actully got two of the same program installed just different versions?

Should be fine installing the old ones of Java and Adobe. Just be careful if there are any registration settings (I dont think Java uses may have a JAVA_HOME user setting pointing to the folder to use java in the environment settings)

Just make sure they are pointing to the latest versions you need and make sure any file associations arent pointing to the removed version

What i mean is that where I have updated java/adobe etc the old versions are still on the pc, can I delete the old versions without it affecting the new versions working correctly?

If memory serves correctly, I once attempted to remove an older version of Adobe and got a message advising me not to. Think it was Adobe, anyway.

Someone more computer savvy than I would know better but I think it's the case that updates/new(er) versions remove anything that becomes redundant.

Hmmm... ok. That's odd. The other way is to go into the folder where the programme is installed on the c: drive (usually in Program Files) and look for a file called 'uninstall.exe'. That's the file that the control panel use to uninstall the app. Sometimes, it works best if get to the file directly rather than use the control panel.

I'm confused. Adobe manufacture a range of software. Could it be Acrobat Reader or Flash you're referring to? If so, do these earlier versions each have their own separate sub-directory? Hopefully you're not using CS4 and if you are don't delete anything.