Carnival

Popular Contributors

16 posts in this topic

Can someone explain how the figures for "Popular Contributors" at the foot of the forum home page are computed.

It seems counter intuitive that the most popular poster of the week has earned more reputation points in the week than the most popular poster of the month has earned in the month, who in turn has earned more reputation points in the month than the most popular poster of the year has earned in the year, who in turn has earned more reputation points in the year than the all time most popular poster. 

Completely baffling!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Don't think about it , just keep posting like crazy on all things Europe and you will get up there with the rest of 'em . 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, worldpunter said:

  Don't think about it , just keep posting like crazy on all things Europe and you will get up there with the rest of 'em . 

Don't bank on it, not got a clue how it works, I thought it was based on number of posts made, but could be the number of times posts by any particular poster is viewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone sticks a pin in a list, if it's me they scrub that and do it again until it's not me. Simples, if a little hurtful

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it not the number of "likes"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that it is, robert49.

'All Time' is the rolling total of 'likes' given to the person named.

'Year' is rolling total of them during the year.

'Month' - again total gained over the month.

'Week': the number gained in the current week.

Hence someone may appear in the 'Year' count but may have got lots of 'likes' early in the year, dropped out and never posted again - and so is missing from the 'Month' and 'Week' counts.

I haven't the faintest whether a 'year' is from 01 January or over the past twelve months, nor how the calculation is done for the other times. Is a 'week' as at today the seven days up to 15 March, or the number since last Monday? And I don't really mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pabulum said:

I think that it is, robert49.

'All Time' is the rolling total of 'likes' given to the person named.

'Year' is rolling total of them during the year.

'Month' - again total gained over the month.

'Week': the number gained in the current week.

Hence someone may appear in the 'Year' count but may have got lots of 'likes' early in the year, dropped out and never posted again - and so is missing from the 'Month' and 'Week' counts.

I haven't the faintest whether a 'year' is from 01 January or over the past twelve months, nor how the calculation is done for the other times. Is a 'week' as at today the seven days up to 15 March, or the number since last Monday? And I don't really mind.

This can't be correct.

Pia is currently showing as "All Time" with only 13 likes, but when you click on her name you can see that since she joined in 2007 she has amassed 580 likes

Colonel Bonkers is showing as "Week" with 22 Likes

Pabulum is showing "Month" with 15 Likes

Surely if Colonel Bonkers has 22 Likes in the current week he must have had even more than that during the current month and therefore shouldn't be trumped by Pabulum with only 15.

The whole thing seems more like the product of some random number generator than any kind of measure of "popularity"

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carnival said:

This can't be correct.

Pia is currently showing as "All Time" with only 13 likes, but when you click on her name you can see that since she joined in 2007 she has amassed 580 likes

Colonel Bonkers is showing as "Week" with 22 Likes

Pabulum is showing "Month" with 15 Likes

Surely if Colonel Bonkers has 22 Likes in the current week he must have had even more than that during the current month and therefore shouldn't be trumped by Pabulum with only 15.

The whole thing seems more like the product of some random number generator than any kind of measure of "popularity"

 

 

I agree.

I was on it a few weeks back and had only posted maybe 5 times in a week. I think it is a random generator like you say x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my money is on the total times a post is visited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, worked it out.

Mouse over the plus sign and it says Member total reputation. Click on Year and from left to right it shows 1st 2nd 3rd etc. disregard the fact that the figures are listed under the headings week month etc.

So from left to right it lists Reputation points the top 4 members as week default then same when you click on month, year and all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant sleuthing JKay - this now makes total sense!

Like TYE, I was on it a few days back and it looked like I was the most popular poster of the year, which was clearly nonsense. But third most popular poster of the week was much more credible. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was right too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A trick I learnt from my daughter, if you don't understand something press a few buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so now for our next challenge.

Forum member Colonel Mustard has posted this post in the London Regional Forum. It is his ONLY post and no-one has "liked" it. Yet you will see from his member profile that he has earned 10 reputation points.

I wonder where they can have come from.

Baffling.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carnival said:

OK, so now for our next challenge.

Forum member Colonel Mustard has posted this post in the London Regional Forum. It is his ONLY post and no-one has "liked" it. Yet you will see from his member profile that he has earned 10 reputation points.

I wonder where they can have come from.

Baffling.......

I think we all started out with ten originally. That was because at first you could also get "disliked" for your post, and I suppose the idea was we might feel upset if we went into minus figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, robert49 said:

A trick I learnt from my daughter, if you don't understand something press a few buttons.

Just like getting a lady aroused!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now