Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTom

Poll on Politics.co.uk

13 posts in this topic

There is a poll on politics.co.uk

http://www.politics.co.uk/polls/

There are not enough questions or options but voting for legalisation and keeping sex workers safe will at least register oposition to the proposals.

There is a poll on politics.co.uk

http://www.politics.co.uk/polls/

There are not enough questions or options but voting for legalisation and keeping sex workers safe will at least register oposition to the proposals.

Just bumping this back to the top

Is there any way of seeing the results so far? I voted but it didn't show me the results afterwards.

Is there any way of seeing the results so far? I voted but it didn't show me the results afterwards.

Possibly the results are available after the poll closes.

I notice that there is an item from last week - 'Prostitution Law: Sex workers speak out', with responses from Douglas Fox, Cari Mitchell, Catherine Healy and Ana Lopes to the proposals. I tried to post a comment but it does not seem to accept the verification code.

www.politics.co.uk/analysis/opinion-former-index/legal-and-constitutional/prostitution-law-sex-workers-speak-out-$1250020.htm

We have had lots of positive stuff in the media over the last few days and most has been very supportive. I also had a very good article in the Guardian with over 197 comments making it one of the largest responses. Most again very supportive.

The IUSW is busy opening a new donations for campaigns account. Basically to campaign effectively over the next few months (which is vital) we need donations however small to cover costs of postage and train fares.

I hope Punter net clients and sex workers will be generous in their support.

Douglas IUSW.

The result of the poll is here.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/policing-and-crime/massive-support-legalisation-prostitution-$1251359.htm

Asked whether the new law will work, responses were overwhelmingly negative, with 91.8 per cent of people saying 'no'.

Similar numbers thought there was no chance of ever abolishing prostitution in the UK, with 95 per cent saying it will always take place.

Responses to a question about the purpose of prostitution laws were equally emphatic. Eighty-nine per cent of politics.co.uk users said the purpose of legislation should be to keep sex workers safe.

Just five per cent said the purpose should be to crack down on prostitutes. The same percentage thought the guiding aim should be to protect trafficked men and women.

The changes to the prostitution law followed an extensive research period in the Home Office, with ministers visiting Sweden, where the trade is criminalised, and Holland, where it is legal.

Thanks.

I think if they want to look at a country where prostitution is legal they should perhaps have chosen New Zealand or maybe Denmark. Holland is a no no since their current right wing government would abolish the RLD if it could and replace it with designer shops, they want to reverse the tolerance the Dutch are renowned for.

Thanks.

I think if they want to look at a country where prostitution is legal they should perhaps have chosen New Zealand or maybe Denmark. Holland is a no no since their current right wing government would abolish the RLD if it could and replace it with designer shops, they want to reverse the tolerance the Dutch are renowned for.

Yes, I agree.. I am not so sure about Holland being a good example to look at either due to extensive amount of drugs involved there.

Really good article from the results though :eek:

We must be careful of recognising the difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.

I do not want legalisation which is by definition accepting or a tolerance of some one who is still somehow considered slightly unacceptable and would create a two tier system.

Decriminalisation acknowledges our right to be a UK subject with the same laws governing us as any other subject.

Douglas

Yes, I agree.. I am not so sure about Holland being a good example to look at either due to extensive amount of drugs involved there.

Really good article from the results though :eek:

Or that it is a legislated and not decriminalised.

We must be careful of recognising the difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.

I do not want legalisation which is by definition accepting or a tolerance of some one who is still somehow considered slightly unacceptable and would create a two tier system.

Decriminalisation acknowledges our right to be a UK subject with the same laws governing us as any other subject.

Douglas

I think that most members agree with you entirely.

There were simply not enough questions or options, but ignoring the poll or not selecting the legalisation option could have made it appear that a majority favoured a total ban. 'Abstainees' or 'Don't knows' can be used to advantage when it suits.

The more evidence that there is not widespread support for their proposals the better.

Those pushing for the new proposals rely on a general ignorance of the current legislation which affects prostitution. Their arguments and claims need to be robustly refuted.

Just bumping this back to the top

Why?......:eek: