JKay

5 a day

9 posts in this topic

Some interesting info on "5 a day", turns out 5 a day is not as healthy as intended, its the result of needing a catchy headline, what was asked for was "7 a day of which no more than two of those should be fruit"

I'd heard similar, but that to get us Brits to go from 1 or 2 a day to 7 a day was too big an ask and would have got ignored so 5 was set as a short term target before uping the stakes, problem is most people still haven't got to the 5 a day

In Japan the recommendation is 17 a day!!

I eat more than 5 a day, and have done for years so not a problem for this Brit. I often order extra vegetables when out in restaurants, because portions are so small. 

A couple of dentists tell me the problem has been folk choosing fruit for most of their servings. Fruit is acidic and sugary, so not as healthy as you may believe. 

1 hour ago, Strawberry said:

A couple of dentists tell me the problem has been folk choosing fruit for most of their servings. Fruit is acidic and sugary, so not as healthy as you may believe. 

that's why the docs say no more than two of fruit.

avoid apples, they have over the years been crossed to produce more sweetness/sugar content.

Day 6 of being Diabetic, still learning.

19 hours ago, Tomorrow said:

I'd heard similar, but that to get us Brits to go from 1 or 2 a day to 7 a day was too big an ask and would have got ignored so 5 was set as a short term target before uping the stakes, problem is most people still haven't got to the 5 a day

In Japan the recommendation is 17 a day!!

Indeed, but what that means is they put a bit of seeds from here, bit a fruit from there.

Whenever I hear 5 or 17 a day I am thinking of a joke about an obese woman who goes to a doctor to help her lose weight and as he tells her what to eat she replies: do I eat this stuff before or after my meals?  Just like her, there is some stuff I need to eat on a daily basis and I simply could not eat the 5 per day in the quantities they advise: an apple, a banana etc purely because I would appear ballooned, or affected by the acidity of some fruits etc.  But I can have a bit of blueberries, a bit of nuts......... besides a bit of sugar to keep my sugar levels in the right brackets.  What can I say: I was born 'delicate' however annoying that is and remaining healthy is a daily battle :lol:;) 

I am envious of people who can stay without food or sleep for many days.

19 hours ago, JKay said:

that's why the docs say no more than two of fruit.

avoid apples, they have over the years been crossed to produce more sweetness/sugar content.

Day 6 of being Diabetic, still learning.

living in fenland I eat loads of local apples - and I havent had a filling in 20 years.

apples produce a lot of saliva which washes the sugar down into the gut - same with many other fruits

as for supermarket apples - rarely had a tasty one - they tend to be dry and anything but sweet

I used to eat lots of apples as a child and I only started again recently but only the pink lady variety: prior to that I could not eat them due to their acidity - my stomach seems to be a bit better nowadays.

With apples I find most varieties are better for keeping for a week after buying them.  They seem to be on the shelves before their best probably to extend their shelf life.

2 people like this

If you live long enough you will find that recommendations from the Health fraternity change more so than the weather. This way they can always point to a recommendation that doesn't fit with your lifestyle, and thereby provide a reason for why your 'untimely' death will be self-inflicted.

I may indeed have contributed to my death that will more than likely occur before I reach 80yoa, but I'll die happy in the knowledge that even with their preferential treatment and veggie lifestyles, at least 50% of our medical masters (and mistresses!) will have fallen before me!

As I mentioned in a previous post, members of my earlier blood relatives are closing in on their telegrams from the monarch, and I put more faith in that factor than anything spouting from the mouths of wet-behind-the-ears medics and their acolytes.

2 people like this