SirMarjAlot

Sex traffic numbers

13 posts in this topic

There was a program on TV the other night, a repeat i think from one or two years ago detailing the horrors of sex trafficking into Europe and the UK from Russia and its satellites.

The girls are in poverty and led to believe they can work abroad as maids, waitresses nannies etc and earn good money to send home to their families.

The person they trust themselves too is initially someone they know.

They then are trafficked out of Odessa, Ukraine by boat to Turkey where they are sold as sex slaves. This is the first time they realise it.

Now some of the numbers quoted is that they reckon over half a million have ended up in the Uk this way?

Whats your opinion on this?

Obviously the new law coming out is relative to this as they are trying to attack the demand side - too many horny men syndrome.

The thing is - is it getting out of hand as its easy to smuggle people now than say drugs:confused:

I dont use prostitutes at home and only indulge when i travel - sex traffic of a different kind - Sex Tourist

Haven't got time to dig out all the links at the moment, but will try to do so lateer, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Home Office estimates are that there are 4000 such victims of trafficking in the UK. Based on, again, Home Office estimates, of the total number of sex workers in the UK of 80 000, this would give a figure of 5% of sex workers being trafficked.

However, these estimates are disputed, especially on the basis of the results of Operations Pentameters 1 & 2 & figures released by rescue charities, such as Poppy Project, which would seem to indicate a truer figure of somewhere between 0.11 - 0.23%.

A huge part of the problem with trying to pin down numbers involved is that, due to the very nature of the activity, only very rough estimates can be produced; with many politicians & political activists putting forth vastly inflated figures (their research tends to conflate legal immigrants/migrants with victims of trafficking, or they just pluck numbers from thin air, for effect - e.g. Fiona Mactaggart & Denis MacShane often claiming 25 000 women, or hundreds of thousands of women). There is also a tendency to lump all trafficked people together; ignoring the fact that the majority of those trafficked are actually involved in agricultural/labouring work, for gang masters, or domestic service roles (nobody seems to care about people picking broccoli for less than minimum wage or a maid who is chained to the radiator at nights).

Finally, there is the fact that the Government uses a very loose interpretation of what constitutes trafficking; not in line with the Palermo Declaration, so tha many who are classed as victims of trafficking are actually illegal immigrants.

I would have thought at most the figure was maybe the total estimate of girls in europe as a whole and cannot be the just for the UK. But that is just Russians. Yes and where do they get these figures from?

I would have thought at most the figure was maybe the total estimate of girls in europe as a whole and cannot be the just for the UK. But that is just Russians. Yes and where do they get these figures from?

They make them up.

They make them up.

That may be true. But punters cannot pretend that all these girls come over to work as prostitutes from their own free will. Some after escaping or being rescued did return this way but they had no other options and were obviously mentally damaged. So even those now working for themselves initially were sex slaves.

Criminals will go to any lengths to make money and can walk through customs with a group of girls alot easier than they can with cocaine or heroine.

So is it the real issue? or is this being used as excuse in politically hard times to be seen to be doing some good?

Now some of the numbers quoted is that they reckon over half a million have ended up in the Uk this way?

Whats your opinion on this?

My opinion is that it is a lot of bollocks.

Two questions ------

1) How did they arrive at the figure of half a million if the girls are here illegally ???????

2) Where are these half a million girls working ???????????

Im sure you would love to know that:) you randy old devil:)

Two questions ------

1) How did they arrive at the figure of half a million if the girls are here illegally ???????

I can't agree more.

As I said in another thread I've been punting very frequently for a number of years now and I haven't met any of these trafficked women except possibly one.

I just don't believe a word of it.

Finally, there is the fact that the Government uses a very loose interpretation of what constitutes trafficking; not in line with the Palermo Declaration, so tha many who are classed as victims of trafficking are actually illegal immigrants.

Specifically, the Sexual Offences Act 2003 c.42 s.57-59 says, pretty much, that all prostitutes are trafficked almost by definition:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2003/ukpga_20030042_en_5#pt1-pb15-l1g57

Hey presto, Harman can say that most prostitutes in the UK are trafficked, and be correct. The wonders of equivocation.

Well how do they know they are trafficked?

How do we know they are not?

3 kinds of lies one of the being statistics.

But for sure trafficking does occur simply because of the criminal mind

Well how do they know they are trafficked?

Because WGs in this country are trafficked almost by definition (the SOA's definition). No troublesome input of fact is required.

What he said. :eek:

Using governments own figures taken from the pentameter 1 and 2 raids and the home office projections and the figures taken from the Dutch police most sex worker agencies suggest that a figure of around 1% may be trafficked. Obviously every trafficked person is a tragedy but trafficking should not be an excuse to target a whole industry.

The best option is to empower those majority in the industry so that they can with confidence liaise with the authorities over areas of concern.

Recently far to many brothels who have informed the police over cases of abuse have been closed and prosecuted which is madness.

Douglas IUSW activist.