Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

France passes law making it illegal to pay for sex

35 posts in this topic

Morning all good job we don’t live in France! It’s on the BBC website too. The French police are stretched catching terrorists & now they have to enforce this nonsense! What a joke! Punish the real exploiters yes, who incidentally won’t give a toss about this as their hard core criminals anyway & leave consenting adults (sex workers & clients) to make their own choices as to who they will/won’t have sex with under what circumstances paid or otherwise!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35982929

3 people like this

This is an ominous development and the criminalisation brigade will see it as a major victory. Highly symbolic too, as France is a country that has been traditionally famous for a libertarian attitude, and it is at the heart of western Europe.

I worry that we could see the same development in the UK within the next 10 years. The left wing feminist brigade & the conservative right wing have combined forces on this and it's a powerful lobby. The problem is that two things which overlap- sex work and human trafficking- have been conflated in order to push this legislation through. "If you don't agree with criminalising men who pay for sex, then you agree with abuse of women and human trafficking"- that's the underhand argument.

But the fact that the men who pay for sex will be forced to attend an 'education course' if they are caught reveals the hypocrisy- it's not about protecting/helping women or preventing trafficking. It's really all about judging and criminalising the man who pays for sex, from both a moral and gender-political perspective.

2 people like this

Well said, FantasyLover.

I do hope that LL wins in her Ireland work.

I really don't think there is much prospect of such a law being enacted in the uk (with the exception of Northern Ireland). The fact is that the small number of countries that have attempted to adopt said law have quickly run into huge problems in terms of impracticality and the law being counterproductive. Also the fact that it has only just passed in France after two and a half years of being kicked back and forth between the upper and lower houses and in the face of opposition from the French Senate, not to mention scepticism from senior police officers and its own Interior Ministry. I could envision similar internal rifts occurring among any party that attempted to pass such a law here, think we'd all agree that Mr. Cameron has enough problems on that front already.

The present government has shown absolutely zero interest in reforming the prostitution laws since their election in 2010, and the current Home Secretary Theresa May publicly opposed proposals to criminalise paying for sex when it was mooted by Harriet Harman and others during her time in opposition. Several prominent MPs also spoke out against Fiona MacTaggarts attempt to include it in the modern slavery bill, including current Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell.

And besides no party or politician would stand to gain much politically from attempting to enact such a law in this neck of the woods, there is little sign of public support for it. General public attitudes seem ambivalent at best, some official polls have even shown a sizeable majority actually favouring decriminalisation (much to the chagrin of Harman and her fellow busybodies).

They passed a law in the UK a while ago making it illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving - when was the last time you saw it enforced?

It's illegal to break the speed limit - but as far as I can tell they rely 100% on cameras to enforce it as it's too much hassle/paperwork for the police.

They can bring in laws to criminalise paying for sex here but it's unenforceable and, like my above examples, they would simply rely on self-regulation. You'd have to be extremely obedient and impressionable to take any notice.

Brothels are illegal now but there are 5 openly operating within 45min drive of my house.    Would any new laws in the UK really change anything ?

Not forgetting the tolerance zone in Holbeck Leeds being operated by West Yorkshire police. Also how many convictions have been made under the law in Northern Ireland?

There's not stigma getting caught speeding or using  mobile phone while driving.

They only have to convict one guy for paying for sex and make sure the news is all over the place
and 75% of all punters will shit their pants.
The remaining 25% are those who don't care about anything anyway.
Then we have those who have never paid for sex before who will beging doing it just because
it's illegal.

17 hours ago, Siamese Tomcat said:

They passed a law in the UK a while ago making it illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving - when was the last time you saw it enforced?

It's illegal to break the speed limit - but as far as I can tell they rely 100% on cameras to enforce it as it's too much hassle/paperwork for the police.

They can bring in laws to criminalise paying for sex here but it's unenforceable and, like my above examples, they would simply rely on self-regulation. You'd have to be extremely obedient and impressionable to take any notice.

opinion is far more divided over how to regulate the sex industry, very few would dispute that speeding or using mobiles whilst driving are unacceptable. Issues concerning sex between consenting adults would be a much harder sell 

I would have thought the French police would have much higher priorities than chasing after consenting adults.

A more important point is the large majorities that passed this legislation in France and Northern Ireland. It is very clear that the sex industry is losing the argument and failing to influence politicians who make these decisions. It is all very well for a small group of sex workers to protest outside the parliament but what is needed is  professional PR campaigns.This would cost, but would punters and sex workers be willing to contribute the cost of a single session to pay for professional advice?

Posted (edited)

It's an indication of their moral outrage that French MP's passed this law against the best advice of their own advisors and police.  Once again we see  the true motives.

Edited by robert49
spelling

2 hours ago, Dave451 said:

I would have thought the French police would have much higher priorities than chasing after consenting adults.

A more important point is the large majorities that passed this legislation in France and Northern Ireland. It is very clear that the sex industry is losing the argument and failing to influence politicians who make these decisions. It is all very well for a small group of sex workers to protest outside the parliament but what is needed is  professional PR campaigns.This would cost, but would punters and sex workers be willing to contribute the cost of a single session to pay for professional advice?

Large majorities? More than 500 MPs abstained from the vote! They just don't wanna get involved 

Does anyone know when this law starts being applied? I've read a few articles and none say what date it becomes effective from.

2 hours ago, bongo said:

Does anyone know when this law starts being applied? I've read a few articles and none say what date it becomes effective from.

Not sure they even thought that far ahead. Perhaps it won't be till after next year's election, when Hollande may have been voted out of office and his countless detractors can no longer use it to attack him 

The inevitable increase of female politicians and especially Labour MPs will mean that it's case of when not if this law will pass in the UK.

38 minutes ago, met012 said:

The inevitable increase of female politicians and especially Labour MPs will mean that it's case of when not if this law will pass in the UK.

Do we have figures on this? (A genuine question.) I sometimes think that the worst of the lot are the male prison bitches of the feminists (like Denis McShane). Some women MPs do take a sensible view. I agree Labour is the risk for us here, because they're the party that tend toget moral bees in their bonnet.

22 hours ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

Do we have figures on this? (A genuine question.) I sometimes think that the worst of the lot are the male prison bitches of the feminists (like Denis McShane). Some women MPs do take a sensible view. I agree Labour is the risk for us here, because they're the party that tend toget moral bees in their bonnet.

Apologies Colonel you are right I am probably going through a sexist phase. However I should have said with the increase in female MPs the house appears to have turned against the paid part of the sex industry.

4 hours ago, met012 said:

Apologies Colonel you are right I am probably going through a sexist phase. However I should have said with the increase in female MPs the house appears to have turned against the paid part of the sex industry.

Too bad Labour are in total disarray currently, with half the party plotting to overthrow Corbyn thwarted only by the lack of a viable successor 

I wonder if this law will bring more WG girls to the UK from there? There are already loads and it will bring the price down, good for boys bad for the girls if it does. I think there will be attempts to bring in a law here in the next few years. 

My guess is that here will soon be mega brothels on the German side of the border.

17 hours ago, starman said:

My guess is that here will soon be mega brothels on the German side of the border.

Somehow I get the feeling the antis will make inroads into curtailing prostitution in Germany.

6 hours ago, met012 said:

Somehow I get the feeling the antis will make inroads into curtailing prostitution in Germany.

I think Germany has always tolerated its sex industry by and large, can't see that really changing