Dave451

Time to Reminisce

16 posts in this topic

It’s 20 years ago this month since I began punting, by accident but that’s another story. I have been thinking back on how different the world was then and punting was no exception.

Like most people in 1996 I did not have Internet or a mobile phone, which youngsters today cannot imagine, so how did we find our WGs? There was the local newsagent’s window and although such adverts still exist today, there were far more then. Depending on the shop’s policy these may be coded (“lady with large chest for sale” etc.) or quite blatant. The other main source was the small ads in the local paper. These have largely gone now but a few still exist.

I did not risk using the home phone so I had to go to a working pay phone, with a pocket full of change. As the ads tended to be cryptic it would be necessary to call several establishments to find a girl I liked the sound of. As it was difficult to make calls, the parlour would give their address straight away if I wanted a booking.

A trip to London was a real feast. Walk-ups in Soho, Shepherd Market and other places were more plentiful than now. And of course there were the ‘Tart Cards’ in phone boxes that still exist today.

My first mobile phone was provided by my company and, as bills were monitored, I could not use this for punting. It was some time before cheap PAYG mobiles became available and I was able to give up my searches for working payphones. Even when I got Internet at home it mostly provided information services, but WGs were early adopters. The first advertisers were mostly high-end escort agencies but it was not long before I found sites like AceMassage with a good selection of ladies.

The sessions with ladies have not changed much. In the 1990s most girls were British with a few foreign girls – often claiming to be Scandinavian if I recall correctly. Apart from being much easier now, I think punting has generally got better. It maybe because I now have more experience, but girls now seem to me to give better, less rushed service and it is easier to find the type of lady I would like to see without spending ages in a phone box.

What will happen to punting in the next 20 years I wonder? I hope I will be able to find out for myself!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used contact mags which threw up some good punts' like Chrissie who I've mentioned several times in posts who worked from a flat in Queen's Gate.  I too used call boxes, usually during my lunch hour as there was a convenient box  (still there!) not far from my office.  When I was a strongroom keyholder at the bank, if I needed to make a call to fix up a punt, I used to get to the strongroom early and use the phone there before members of staff started to arrive with boxes and files to be locked away.  I often used to manage to get away slightly earlier in this way! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2016 at 5:07 PM, Dave451 said:

Apart from being much easier now, I think punting has generally got better. It maybe because I now have more experience, but girls now seem to me to give better, less rushed service and it is easier to find the type of lady I would like to see without spending ages in a phone box.

What will happen to punting in the next 20 years I wonder? I hope I will be able to find out for myself!

That is interesting: lots of guys, probably in their '20s still complain in different forums how they have been rushed and thrown out by girls.  Probably they do not have your knowledge, 'feel' and methods of research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The internet has undoubtedly made life much easier for punters. Possibly a little safer as dangerous escorts are quickly exposed. On the other hand all the instances I am aware of punters being outed/found out have involved web browsing histories or mobile phone records.

I think it has been a mixed blessing for service providers as well. On one hand it makes it easier to set up as an independent escort. On the other hand social media are a gift to stalkers. I know 2 ladies who have had distressing problems with clients attempting to cross boundaries and have heard of others. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PMG said:

The internet has undoubtedly made life much easier for punters. Possibly a little safer as dangerous escorts are quickly exposed. On the other hand all the instances I am aware of punters being outed/found out have involved web browsing histories or mobile phone records.

I think it has been a mixed blessing for service providers as well. On one hand it makes it easier to set up as an independent escort. On the other hand social media are a gift to stalkers. I know 2 ladies who have had distressing problems with clients attempting to cross boundaries and have heard of others. 

 

Yes, but before that, wives went through their husbands' pockets, and men always leave a paper trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, Dave451 said:

It’s 20 years ago this month since I began punting, by accident but that’s another story. I have been thinking back on how different the world was then and punting was no exception.

 

Like most people in 1996 I did not have Internet or a mobile phone, which youngsters today cannot imagine, so how did we find our WGs? There was the local newsagent’s window and although such adverts still exist today, there were far more then. Depending on the shop’s policy these may be coded (“lady with large chest for sale” etc.) or quite blatant. The other main source was the small ads in the local paper. These have largely gone now but a few still exist.

 

I did not risk using the home phone so I had to go to a working pay phone, with a pocket full of change. As the ads tended to be cryptic it would be necessary to call several establishments to find a girl I liked the sound of. As it was difficult to make calls, the parlour would give their address straight away if I wanted a booking.

 

A trip to London was a real feast. Walk-ups in Soho, Shepherd Market and other places were more plentiful than now. And of course there were the ‘Tart Cards’ in phone boxes that still exist today.

 

My first mobile phone was provided by my company and, as bills were monitored, I could not use this for punting. It was some time before cheap PAYG mobiles became available and I was able to give up my searches for working payphones. Even when I got Internet at home it mostly provided information services, but WGs were early adopters. The first advertisers were mostly high-end escort agencies but it was not long before I found sites like AceMassage with a good selection of ladies.

 

The sessions with ladies have not changed much. In the 1990s most girls were British with a few foreign girls – often claiming to be Scandinavian if I recall correctly. Apart from being much easier now, I think punting has generally got better. It maybe because I now have more experience, but girls now seem to me to give better, less rushed service and it is easier to find the type of lady I would like to see without spending ages in a phone box.

 

What will happen to punting in the next 20 years I wonder? I hope I will be able to find out for myself!

 

I started meeting escorts around 2007.  There was plenty of 'great' girls then.  Since then, I've seen a large increase in top girls to choose from.  I've met many girls from a very different range of backgrounds, which makes the conversation side of meets far more interesting. 

At a guess, I'd say meets 'should' be even easier to arrange in the future, as technology moves forward.  I also think, there will be even more talented escorts to choose from!  I think there 'could' be a noticeable increase in the number of other types of paid sex such as sugar daddy sites, and possibly other new paid sex variations as time goes on.

I'm enjoying the present, but looking forward to the future of punting ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had one in 1996. I was living in London and used a service in chelsea - I had girls come out one at a time and shake my hand. It was quite humiliating to be honest and I probably wished I had not gone in. All the girls looked nervous - they were all a bit plump and I didnt like any of them. I probably should have walked out but they said one or two more girls were expected in. Then a tall and very slender indian looking girl came in - £200 for 2 hours (plus £50 to the agency). I suppose that was quite a slice in those days. But I was green and shy with women in those days. It took us nearly an hour to get back to my flat - she had a strong smell of alcohol on her breath. She kept me talking at the flat and then more or less told me I had only 15 minutes of my 2 hours left. We had sex and she left.

Things must have changed a lot as all the ladies I have met since my recent punting spell (going back to 2008) have been keen to give good value for money. But of course if I had the head on my shoulders I've got now - I wouldnt have got into that mess in 1996.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there still Ladies working in Shepherd Market?

Only I work (9-5 work) around the corner from there, and I've seen a few cards but certainly no walk ups :o

Could do with knowing of a nice little parlour round that way: just somewhere to touch base, stop in for appointments after the office and before commuting home, bit of a bunk-up, bung the madame a room fee and then bugger off to the tedium of domesticity for the evening

Half tempted to hand write cards offering lunchtime office visits. "Book the boardroom James, I'm flying in for lunch". :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a few sessions with street girls in the late 80's (ALL DONE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT AND FELT FAIRLY SAFE AT THE TIME) I found some adverts in the back of Mayfair and went to flats in Leeds, then joy of joys the parlours started opening in Leeds (largely I suspect to allow the police to move on the street girls).  Ever so often i found a new establishment in the Sport, and i had a mobile phone early on which helped with arrangements, especially when I was travelling round the country and went to unfamiliar haunts.  I still enjoy pot luck at a parlour occasional, but nowadays use the internet for Adultwork offers, or agencies and make a booking for my entertainment.  Some things have got better over the years, although I regret the police closing down the parlours, it is easier to shop on the the internet and make arrangements AND the improved market for sex means there is often a better offer from the girls and I get more variety: owo, anal, ffm, mmf,etc than I could ever find 30 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to hear from newbies only in punting from the mid 90s...

But long before that, I would say we oldies found it easy enough to get what we wanted even though the modern gadgets weren't available.

I started in Soho walk ups and met a lot of fabulous women (yes, as well as a few downers but ever thus) including a few I have since found equalled but not bettered by my later favourites through the decades and I was able to see these over an extended period of time (years, I mean, not hours).

And while newspaper ads were uninformative, the contact mags already mentioned were a mine of information though a £7 mag might well yield only 2 or 3 ladies one really wanted to meet. The ones (3 titles for West Midlands that could have just as easily had the same name and meant there were regular new editions).

And later than the above outlets I cam across the Birmingham street scene - no easier way to meet someone you fancied however much electronic wizardry you employed. Of course it was more risky and there are other points against it but it was a long while before I ever came to realise it was illegal for the drivers and I settled for -

the many parlours, Again how easy are those to use and it was no hardship to have 6, 7 even 15 ladies parading in front of you to pick from. More of a thrill than poor selfies and dubious feedback pored over in the frigid isolation of the spare room huddled over a computer.

I found it easy to make friends with the receptionist and a succession of the ladies, some of which I saw as friends outside the parlour, going shopping. to theatres, to a family funeral or just hanging round in their homes.

Although come to think of it, there are 5 wonderful ladies where I am welcomed into their 'real' lives now.

People don't change however much technology does.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, vivluvsme said:

Interesting to hear from newbies only in punting from the mid 90s...

 

 

You'll need to come up with another name for me then, I started 18 months ago.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fond memories of my early punting days in Bradford RLD in the early 90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started punting almost 30 years ago. Firstly RLD in the north of England. Local newspaper adverts for massage etc... For me internet has made it more accessable but I am not sure that is a good thing or a bad thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2016 at 11:19 PM, Tina Thanet said:

Are there still Ladies working in Shepherd Market?

 

I think the phone box scene has died out and don't know about internet but there are 2 walk ups in shepherd market 50A which I used as recently as 2 weeks ago and (as far as I know) that one next to all the italian cafes (turn left if coming from the phone box / archway)...

careful you dont get seen though its not like it used to be...

My first punt was in a west end walk up in 1997 (pollen st, brazilian black girl, fucking awful punt)... back then the whole of central london was heaving with whorehouses... from queensway up to holborn, marylebone road down to leicester square... beautiful girls from all over the world... the west end was a very interesting and exciting place to be even in the daytime...

its all starbucks and sainsburys local now isnt it.

research online then make an appointment... where's the fun in that?

I used to love getting out there seeing what was about... phone boxes, walk ups... 24 hours a day... and you never knew what would happen or who you would meet...

the hint of danger was all part of it for me at the time... it was all very dickensian and mona lisa...

I remember the rabbit warren of walk ups round by moor street... the spiral stair case in that concrete tower on peter street...

the peep shows, the clip joints, the sex shops...

the villians, the crackheads, the dealers, all the street life...

but sheperds market was in a league of its own...

the fucking "Eerie Indiana" of RLD's... so eccentric and weird...

it was way better back then so much more fun... but a young mans game maybe... i wouldnt have time for it now and would feel a bit of a prick hanging round on the streets like I used to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ralhar and Viv both seemed to have, overall, far more positive experiences than I did in those days. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would wish for those days back again.

Like me, they were younger then, and you needed a fuck, and if you got one, you were basically satisfied. General standards were much lower back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no can't agree with that...

of course there was more out there so more of everything including bad punts and bad experiences...

I had many nightmare punts in soho before I worked out you could actually walk... the amount of times I went through with something because I didnt know how to get out... LOL...

most of the walk ups were dives providing (at best) rush rush services, trafficked albanians, bad tempered northern hags... rush hour 5pm to 7pm would filter the uninitiated to the only rooms that weren't busy that were invariably little more than clip joints..

but once you got the hang of it... understood the tricks and how the scene operated... it was all a big game...

I had many many dynamite unforgettable punts... claudia, amber, olga... and thats just soho...

The whole scene was just much more diverse and vibrant... for example beautiful friendly thai girls delivering a great service could be found in walk ups and phone box joints all over the place no problem any time of day or night... where are they all now? a couple of internet agencies barely hanging on with a very small unimpressive pool of talent select from (as far as I can tell, I gave up with that scene a while back)...

the phone box joints could be tricky also but also very exciting many times rewarding... you could find plenty of latin girls in phone box joints if you knew where to look... where are they now?

my feet would hit the concrete early afternoon or early evening for what would often end up being a 12 hour session of illicit activity...

pubs, bars, clubs, walk ups, brothels... there was just much more going on back then...

but thats just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now