Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coventrypunter

coffee shops

31 posts in this topic

so there is Costa, and Starbucks, and Nero.

and some independents

now there is coffee#1, a subsidiary of Brains Brewery in Cardiff.  They are looking to have 100 outlets in SW englans and S Wales. Latest one opened in Worcester this month.

http://www.coffee1.co.uk/

any comments on coffee shops and preferences.

(Starbucks coffee is shite)

1 person likes this

Of the three, Costa seem to me the best.

1 person likes this

And there was me  thinking  you meant the kind of coffee shops one finds in Amsterdam , .

yes, Costa out of the big 3, then nero then starbucks.

but ahead of those we have our local favourite independents

Costa is the best in my opinion, followed by Nero, Starbucks isn't all that great I do like their Refreshers though! 

I'll only use a coffee shop (reluctantly) to meet a friend. I dislike the prices and the difficulties in purchasing a simple modest-sized plain black coffee.

1 person likes this

Greggs is good as a takeaway coffee.   Good deal on Coffee and a pie/pasty

55 minutes ago, Gaz up North said:

Greggs is good as a takeaway coffee.   Good deal on Coffee and a pie/pasty

I can't drink it out of a paper mug.

1 person likes this

I stick to Costa most of the time. The coffee is good....

1 person likes this

But why oh why do all of them have a default mode of serving the coffee boiling hot?

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

But why oh why do all of them have a default mode of serving the coffee boiling hot?

cos most of us dont like cold coffee.

ask for a small glass of water or milk to cool it down

All the coffee shops in various towns that I visit are chosen on the basis of having a waitress that I like and I enjoy having harmless chats with them.

Just a simple pleasure that gives me a little lift. Nothing untoward in mind or action.

None of the places are big brand branches.

13 hours ago, vivluvsme said:

All the coffee shops in various towns that I visit are chosen on the basis of having a waitress that I like and I enjoy having harmless chats with them.

Just a simple pleasure that gives me a little lift. Nothing untoward in mind or action.

None of the places are big brand branches.

...or a scorching customer who goes there every day around 8.30.

4 hours ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

...or a scorching customer who goes there every day around 8.30.

Well each to his own but I find it easier to strike up a conversation with a waitress (and I may have lying about having nothing untoward in mind...) than with a complete stranger who wonders why an antediluvian old fool is hitting on her...

I am a Chai Thai late kind of fella - Starbucks I'm afraid - plus I love the porridge you can get at these places too!!

I have waited in many a Starbucks or indeed coffee shop before an appointment to see a lady - mind you always make sure don't have coffee breath (ughh!!).

Posted (edited)

Monmouth coffee. It's delicious.

Ever since I tried coffee from one of those little machines with the pods (what are they called?) I have become an absolute coffee snob and all of the standard stuff tastes bitter and watery to me. Oh dear.

Edited by Curious Rose

Coffee shops? Too many of them, all within a few doors of each other, all full of people with nothing better to do all day than sit around drinking coffee, watching the world go by, meeting other sad and lonely coffee drinkers and telling each other how important they are, all too lazy to make their own coffee at home or bring a flask of home made to drink at work, look at me look at me I'm drinking coffee types, the hubby/wife/life partner is at work, the kids with the au pair so all i can do is drink this overpriced skinny mocha shit served to me by some poor sod on a minimum wage  zero hour contract working for a company that don't pay its tax  whilst everyone else has to work for a living.

Fucking hate them... firebomb the lot!

8 minutes ago, spartan117 said:

Coffee shops? Too many of them, all within a few doors of each other, all full of people with nothing better to do all day than sit around drinking coffee, watching the world go by, meeting other sad and lonely coffee drinkers and telling each other how important they are, all too lazy to make their own coffee at home or bring a flask of home made to drink at work, look at me look at me I'm drinking coffee types, the hubby/wife/life partner is at work, the kids with the au pair so all i can do is drink this overpriced skinny mocha shit served to me by some poor sod on a minimum wage  zero hour contract working for a company that don't pay its tax  whilst everyone else has to work for a living.

Fucking hate them... firebomb the lot!

Not keen then?

Nah, with their tables and chairs outside that take up half the pavement so pedestrians have to risk walking in the road, fuck that, walk through the tables as i do and point out loudly that i have right of way on the pavement and that if you wanna drink coffee do it indoors. Customers leaving their mobiles on the table whilst engaged in ever so self important conversation with their smug best friends making a target for thieves and pickpockets and who do they blame after their smartphone has been nicked? Yeah the staff for not keeping an eye out and the company for not having cctv outside covering half the street, smartphones for dumb people.

I generally buy cheap ground coffee for drinking at home where I use a stove top percolator. £2 a bag (tesco Italian). I have tried dearer coffee but cant really taste a difference worth paying.

1 hour ago, spartan117 said:

Nah, with their tables and chairs outside that take up half the pavement so pedestrians have to risk walking in the road, fuck that, walk through the tables as i do and point out loudly that i have right of way on the pavement and that if you wanna drink coffee do it indoors. Customers leaving their mobiles on the table whilst engaged in ever so self important conversation with their smug best friends making a target for thieves and pickpockets and who do they blame after their smartphone has been nicked? Yeah the staff for not keeping an eye out and the company for not having cctv outside covering half the street, smartphones for dumb people.

have you seen a film called The Fisher King?

If there's a coffee shop massacre in London I'll know who did it.

I wish there were a few Tim Hortons in the UK. They are everywhere in Canada and such good value.

Have to agree its a shame Tim Hortons never made it across the pond unlike Star$$$$s, wasn't he an ice hockey player?

I prefer my expresso or americano italian style standing by the bar so I tend to go to the small indie coffee shops especially in London or Manchester than the larger chains. Bit like my taste in woman; black and just enough sugar to take the edge off it. 

Is 2 shops a chain. Captains table in argostoli do a mean late, and mrs cp likes their ices espressos. Load of localsdrinking coffee so cant be bad. 

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, Tenacity said:

Have to agree its a shame Tim Hortons never made it across the pond unlike Star$$$$s, wasn't he an ice hockey player?

I prefer my expresso or americano italian style standing by the bar so I tend to go to the small indie coffee shops especially in London or Manchester than the larger chains. Bit like my taste in woman; black and just enough sugar to take the edge off it. 

That's correct. Tim Horton played for the Toronto Maple Leafs. They did have one in London in Haymarket, but the doughnuts were awful.

As regards serving boiling hot, who wants lukewarm coffee!