Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starman

Harriet enlists WI

14 posts in this topic

I listened to an item on Radio 2 at lunchtime with a lady at the WI in Chester who was going through the local papers up there looking for these shocking adverts for the poor trafficked girls without much luck to be honest.

They also spoke to Nikki Adams again who came across very well as always and again pointed out that women working together are safer than working alone which is what the government seems to be trying to enforce with the proposals. She also pointed out that the figures being banded around are pretty much made up.

Ah well!

Addressing the WI, Harman read some ads out from a newspaper. One of them read something like "Thai Girls. Different girls every day, seven days".

Erm - surely if they were trafficked they would be the SAME girls, day-in, day-out ?

Shows you how much she really understands the reality of how things work.

Addressing the WI, Harman read some ads out from a newspaper. One of them read something like "Thai Girls. Different girls every day, seven days".

Erm - surely if they were trafficked they would be the SAME girls, day-in, day-out ?

Be fair, she at least got the number of days in the week pretty much spot on.

Well if they are trafficked WTF is she doing standing there reading it out of a newspaper? Why isn't she leading a police raid on the place? Is she hoping the WI will do the work for her and mount their own raid?

Well if they are trafficked WTF is she doing standing there reading it out of a newspaper? Why isn't she leading a police raid on the place? Is she hoping the WI will do the work for her and mount their own raid?

Tut tut Biggus, how can you think like that, it's obvious that that advert is nothing whatsoever to do with paid sex, the original poster of that advert just missed out a little punctuation, some incorrect capitalisation and minus one word, after all it can't be a paid sex advert because the newspapers have been "asked" to stop publishing them.

The advert is actually a promotion for a Thai food restaurant called "Seven Days" targeting a female audience, it actually reads "Thai girls?, it's different girls! every day, Seven Days"

Not necessarily. From what I've read, "trafficked" (ie enslaved in some way) women are commonly moved round the country from flat to flat, so that the "new girls" claim can be made in chains of places. To be moved daily would be unusual, but weekly or fortnightly is not uncommon. Apart from the ability to boast of "new girls" regularly (so punters don't get bored, of course) moving the women around prevents them forming any kind of relationship with someone who might help.

I, as others have said, also think this is going to bring out criticism that if these places are really so obvious as involving trafficked girls the police aren't already on their way to raid the place? or is it that police need evidence and letters of complaint just need moral and emotional blackmail?

Anybody see Paxman giving the WI a right grilling on Newsnight?

I think the WI have decided they are going to look at adverts and then report based on those. So it all seems a bit silly. Hardly detective work.

What really hit me was Harman reading out an ad for a massage parlour "girls available. full service. 24/7". Something like that. No mention of foreign girls or anything.

She was completely and utterly disgusted. Which is what this legislation is about. Moral indignation about consensual sex between adults.

We all want to stop trafficking but pushing things underground isn't going to do that. Legalising the trade fully and encouraging conditions for safe trade under controlled conditions will.

I liked the Indie comment that this goverment needs all the jam it can get

No, they are moved about like cattle to market in some of the Thai places.... and I know many are forced to work. They do not tell you that until they trust you... the pimps from Thailand threaten their families... I have known many like this over the years. Not all girls from Asia are forced... not all but many are.

Fiona Mactaggart (Slough, Labour) Link to this | Hansard source | Video match this

But does my right hon. and learned Friend agree that in societies where women can be bought and sold like objects there is a greater risk of violence towards women, and what is she doing to try to combat this kind of exploitation of women and the consequent violence which leads to prostitutes, for example, being 40 times more at risk of a violent death than the rest of us?

Add your comment

Harriet Harman (Lord Privy Seal, House of Commons; Camberwell & Peckham, Labour) Link to this | Hansard source | Video match this

My hon. Friend might well be referring to the fact that in local newspapers across the country we see women for sale for sex. It is important that we do not accept that as inevitable. Who wants to see in the back of their local newspaper, alongside "skip hire" and "lost pets", advertisements such as, "New Thai girls. Choice of two avail., satisfaction always...nr Jct 11 M4, parking," or, "Brazilian girls. Barkingside...£60 Full Service"? These are exploited women being sold for sex, and it is about time that local newspapers stopped taking advertisements from sleazy gangs exploiting women

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2008-11-25a.614.2&s=prostitution#g616.1