Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Happy Punter

Box Set Conversations

11 posts in this topic

Being a fan of Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Six Feet Under, Downton Abbey and my favourite ever The Sopranos  - as this new forum seems to cater for the wild card I have often wondered if there are any fans of any of the aforementioned on PN!

And yes I do know I need to get out more but once your in the grip of a Box Set you just have to give in I find - like many enjoyable hobbies I find! :)

I've got the complete works box set of mozart - 180 CDs - which remains to this day the best gift I have ever had.

1 hour ago, lancelot said:

I've got the complete works box set of mozart - 180 CDs - which remains to this day the best gift I have ever had.

Yes, I can understand that, though I also think there's something fundamentally wrong with musical box sets. Everything ends up indistinguishable. You haven't gradually bought the Mozart symphonies you liked, but all of them indiscriminately, whether you knew them or not, or liked them or not. And from there it's a short step to thinking in terms of "let's listen to a Mozart symphony" instead of "I want to listen to this particular symphony".

Not a criticism. I do the same. But I think it's wrong.

I am not a box set person and as I age I have not found myself latching onto any drama series on TV recently - my bad (youngspeak for it being my fault, Col Bonkers).

Having got into iPods I have found great pleasure in scouring charity and other shops not only for books by fave authors but also CDs at a cheap price to convert into additions to my iTunes library.

Sadly I have just about everything I want now and am reduced to waiting for each new publication by those authors and musicians to get into charity shops.

BTW I transferred all my vinyl and cassettes into digital form as well - slightly missing out on the revival of vinyl - I just threw them into the bin instead of selling them to willing buyers. :(

I don't know why I have fallen out of box sets/series. I haven't even managed to sit down and enjoy Brideshead Revisited sitting in a cupboard in all its video cassette glory.

12 minutes ago, vivluvsme said:

I don't know why I have fallen out of box sets/series. I haven't even managed to sit down and enjoy Brideshead Revisited sitting in a cupboard in all its video cassette glory.

Videocasettes?! Would we tolerate the quality of the image any longer, I wonder?

My OP was a little misleading (not deliberately so) but I watch a good number of series on Netflix - a Netflix binge - whatt do you fellas or indeed any ladies think of Netflix - its marvellous and so many classic things available.

I agree wholeheartedly about the comment about Mozart etc and like to be able to identify a symphony!

I find the meets I enjoy with a lady often involve a riff (listen to me anyone think I'm under 30) about something we both enjoy Box set or Netflix wise....and music is always a fun conversation.

Was introduced recently by a WG to the music of Ellie King (my back, my neck) - ha ha ha...she isn't for the faint hearted but so enjoy her - one thing I like about this hobby is it sure keeps you young in outlook!!  Getting down with the kids and all!! :)

1 minute ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

Videocasettes?! Would we tolerate the quality of the image any longer, I wonder?

To my eyes the quality seems fine. Seems you're not as much of a technophobe as another posting by you suggested.

5 minutes ago, The Happy Punter said:

Getting down with the kids and all!! :)

Not a phrase I would employ too freely on a site such as this ;)

...I hear you....I meant of course 'getting down' in that old jive talk kind of way....had I written 'going down' that would have been an awful faux paus!

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Colonel Bonkers said:

Yes, I can understand that, though I also think there's something fundamentally wrong with musical box sets. Everything ends up indistinguishable. You haven't gradually bought the Mozart symphonies you liked, but all of them indiscriminately, whether you knew them or not, or liked them or not. And from there it's a short step to thinking in terms of "let's listen to a Mozart symphony" instead of "I want to listen to this particular symphony".

Not a criticism. I do the same. But I think it's wrong.

which is why when my wife lumped it in front me I initially thought - OMG what the fuck have you done. She knows I'm a Mozart freak and I think she thought what better gift

My scepticism was based partly on what you have summed up - and also the fear that the performances would all be budget poor quality. but I was wrong about that - all the recordings I listened to are very good and some are excellent - of course one can always find better performances and performers. there are some CDS there I would not want to hear again - like Mozart 40 odd canons he composed. and there are many undiscovered gems and as a reference library it's a pretty useful set. I tend to listen to my LPs more - but I cant help but like this complete Mozart set.

I would never recommend this set for someone who did not know Mozart's music extremely well.

As a return gift I bought my wife the complete Poirot

Edited by lancelot

The Misfits, bunch of kids on community service that acquire powers.

One changes gender, masturbates as a man, then masturbates as a woman and inseminates him / herself and gets pregnant. 

One of the most imaginative things  i have ever seen. Taught him a different perspective

You can still watch the box set on 4more